AZ 23 NYG 0: A Christmas Carol

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
The two concurring themes of this article: (1) 1 play, 1 draft pick, 1 year away coincidences for the Cardinals; (2) the sheer greatness of the Cardinals' WR Larry Fitzgerald.

What Might Have Been---The Ghost of Christmas Past

Let the spirit take us back to the year 2003. Carson Palmer is taken #1 by the Bengals. When it is time for the Cardinals to pick at #6, suddenly we are reminded that there has been a trade with the New Orleans Saints. The Saints have given the Cardinals the #17, #18 and #54 picks in exchange for the #6, #37 and #102 picks. The Saints at #6 select Jonathan Sullivan, DT, Georgia. The Cardinals' three picks are: #17. Bryant Johnson, WR, Penn. St.; #18 Calvin Pace, DE, Wake Forest; #54 Anquan Boldin, WR, Florida St.

Meanwhile, with the #7 pick, there is sudden mayhem. The Vikings have not submitted their pick in on time...so the Jaguars rush to the podium and select QB Byron Leftwich of Marshall. Leftwich goes on to record a 24-20 record in his 4 years in Jacksonville with a 51-36 TD/INT ratio.

Bryant Johnson and Calvin Pace struggle mightily for the Cardinals---but Anquan Boldin becomes an immediate star by amassing 217 versus the Lions in his first start and winning the 2003 Offensive Rookie of the Year award.

2003 is the last year in Arizona for head coach Dave McGinnis, the Ol' Fuzziwig of coaches---the nicest and most passionate boss imaginable. His starting QB journeyman Jeff Blake goes 3-10 on the season and the QB reins are handed over to 2002 3rd round QB Josh McCown. McCown loses his first two games, but the spirit shows us McCown's last second TD pass versus the Vikings to Nathan Poole in the right corner of the end zone which knocks the Vikings out of the playoffs and sends Coach McGinnis out with a stunning win...and...in the process...which knocks the Cardinals out of the #1 spot in the 2004 NFL Draft.

In comes old Minnesota HC Denny Green who promises a Top 5 offense (with a pie chart of his past offenses). And while McCown delivered some last second heroics versus the Vikings, all the pundits and scouts agree that the Cardinals need to use their #3 pick to draft a franchise QB.

Had the Cardinals not beaten the Vikings, they would have been able to draft QB Eli Manning with the #1 pick. The Raiders at #2 opt to take T Robert Gallery of Iowa. So now the Cardinals at #3 are right in line to select QB Philip Rivers. However, despite using their #17 and #54 picks in the 2003 draft on WRs and having the NFL's Rookie of the Year in WR Anquan Boldin, Denny Green selects his old Minny water boy WR Larry Fitzgerald.

Then---all mayhem ensues when it is reported that Eli Manning and the Manning family will not accept going to the Chargers---and in comes the Giants at #4, who select Rivers and swap him for Manning. Could the Cardinals have done that at #3? Would the Mannings have accepted the Cardinals? Would it all have been moot of the Cardinals had taken QB Byron Leftwich with the #6 pick in the 2003 draft? Or---could the Cardinals have taken their chances at #3 in 2004 with another 1st Team All-MAC QB named Ben Roethlisberger?

Regardless---while Denny Green's tenure in Arizona was a relatively short and unfulfilled one in Arizona, the spirit shows us how WR Larry Fitzgerald becomes the face of the Cardinals' franchise---how despite going through myriads of QBs , catching TDs from 17 of them along the way---how he catches fire with QB Kurt Warner in 2008 and 2009, catching 3 TDs in the NFC Championship Game in 2008, catching 2 TDs in Super Bowl XLIII, the second of which he races 64 yards with to give the Cardinals a 23-20 lead with a little over 2 minutes left in the game, alas only to be beaten out on a pass from Roethlisberger to Santonio Holmes in the corner of the end zone...a play called in by Steelers' OC Bruce Arians...

And Fitzgerald strikes like lightning once again in the 2015 playoffs with Arians now his HC, when in OT Fitz takes a scrambling Carson Palmer's out pass and races 75 yards around tacklers to the Packers' 5 yard line and scores right up the middle on the next play on a five yard shovel pass---to cement his legacy as the most prolific WR in the history of the NFL playoffs.

We watch again as Fitzgerald at age 33 leads the NFL in receptions in 2016 with 107. Then we watch in 2017 as he moves to 3rd place all-time in receiving yards and 2nd all-time in receptions.

What Is---The Ghost of Christmas Present

With the Cardinals officially eliminated from the 2017 playoffs and with Bruce Arians handing the QB reins from Blaine Gabbert back over to Drew Stanton---the final home game of the year versus the 2-12 Giants offered little in the way of meaningful competition---that is until it became clear from the outset that Larry Fitzgerald had once again come to play like it was the first round of the playoffs.

On the second offensive snap, Stanton turned and fired the ball over the middle to Fitzgerald who made a sure handed (as always) catch and it was game on. On the team's first scoring drive, Fitzgerald caught passes of 19, 20 and 3 yards to set up Phil Dawson's FG.

In the second quarter, Fitzgerald threw a nifty 21 yard completion to WR Jaron Brown off a flea flicker, which after the game Fitz was happy to say that it kicked in Brown's $500K 30 catch incentive.

A series later, Fitzgerald broke the Cardinals' 11 quarter TD drought, when he took a 13 yard Stanton pass to the house. No huge celebration from Fitz, as always. But he did keep the football and cradle it with him to the sidelines.

On Stanton's other TD to John Brown, Fitz was ecstatic for his oft-injured teammate and tackled him to the turf before other teammate started lifting him off the ground.

When the inspired defense, led by DE Chandler Jones (4 QB pressures), S Antione Bethea (2 ints.), S Budda Baker (13 tackles); ILB Karlos Dansby (10 tackles) and ILB Deone Bucannon (8 tackles), kept forcing turnovers and 3 and outs, Fitz was the first to celebrate with them as they ran off the field---and was the first to go wild with them when they recorded the Cardinals' first shutout in 15 years---only the second shutout in Arizona Cardinals' history.

After the wonderful 23-0 win, when asked by the media whether Fitz was soaking everything in if indeed this was his last game in Arizona before the home fans---Fitz said what he always says---"my focus is to always be in the moment. That's the way I always play the game."

What's To Come---The Ghost of Christmas Future

Before yesterday's game, Ian Rappaport was reporting some speculation that if HC Bruce Arians retires the Cardinals are showing early interest in Texans' HC Bill O'Brien and Eagles' QBC John DeFilippo.

Arians has not stated whether he intends to return or retire. Rappaport mentioned that BA had been discussing changes to his staff with the FO (an indication that he wants to return) and also that BA has hired a media agent in case he wants to direct his attention to broadcasting.

Meanwhile, the futures of WR Larry Fitzgerald and QB Carson Palmer are very uncertain at this point. Fitz has said that wants to take some time to figure everything out---which likely means he wants to see what the Cardinals' plans are moving forward.

The one harrowing question about the 2018 NFL Draft is how close they came in the 2017 to drafting their much needed QBOF---losing out on the 2 QBs they loved, Pat Mahomes to the Chiefs via trade, and then agonizingly right in the spot one pick ahead of them, DeSean Watson to the Texans via trade. While it was nice last year to see the Cardinals win their last two games versus the Seahawks and the Rams---unfortunately that momentum did not carry over into this season---and it likely cost the Cardinals Mahomes or Watson (one of whom could have been the starter yesterday). Winning yesterday knocked the Cardinals further away from the top 10 which may behoove them to trade up for the QBOF they want---which will cost them valuable picks, if they can find a willing trade partner.

Unfortunately, the NFL rewards losing. Just as the Colts tanked for a year to be able to go from Peyton Manning to Andrew Luck...the Giants are now going to be able to draft Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen to succeed Eli Manning. Ironically, just as Eli did---Rosen has already made it clear that he does not want to play for the Browns.

Recently there have ben reports that the Cardinals were interested in talking with Sean McVay about the HC position last year if BA had to retire due to health issues. McVay is looking like a shoe-in for NFL Coach of the Year. The Rams look like they are going to be Super Bowl contenders for years to come. In addition to having a superb play caller in McVay, they have two of the top coordinators in the NFL in DC Wade Phillips and STC John Fassel.

Meanwhile in SF, QB Jimmy Garoppolo is the hottest QB in the NFL and is now 4-0 with the once hapless 49ers and 6-0 for his career.

This week the Cardinals travel up to Seattle to play the Seahawks and perennial superstar QB Russell Wilson in a meaningful game for them, as, thanks to their 21-12 road victory over the Cowboys yesterday, they are still in the playoff hunt. To ensure the relevance of the game, the NFL has moved the start of the Falcons vs. Panthers game to 4:25. And to ensure added drama and billboard attention, BA told his players after the game to go get ready for their "home game" in Seattle so that they could "go up there and kick their a*ses."

Well, in a year where it has been difficult to know which Cardinals' team will show up from week to week---one thing is certain---Larry Fitzgerald will show up to once again leave everything he has on the field. He will do what he always does---he will live and relish in the moment.

Last edited:

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
So there's a chance that I got to witness Fitz's last home game of his career.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
May not be a popular thought, but if I were MB or SK I would ask Fitz what it would take for him to come back for 2018 and find a way to do it. He IS the Arizona Cardinals! Merry Christmas!

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
May not be a popular thought, but if I were MB or SK I would ask Fitz what it would take for him to come back for 2018 and find a way to do it. He IS the Arizona Cardinals! Merry Christmas!

I think that this would might be difficult to do, from Fitz's standpoint. He's a loyal guy, so i think he wouldn't want to throw anyone under the bus. I think he will be content to let the FO make the tough decisions and then see whether those decisions work in his favor for a 2018 return.

But, I agree with you that MB and SK should do whatever they can to encourage Fitz to stay on board.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, congrats on such a well written post. When it comes to writing, you beat the Dickens out of everyone.

P.S. There should be a Pulitzer like award for posters. Each admin. of various Boards should be able to enter one 'post', with the winner announced on Super Bowl weekend. NFL media people would judge the entries.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Merry Christmas, Garth! Hope you're having a merry day in Scarsdale (or wherever you are)!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Was at the game and man, watching Larry being Larry, you would never know he’s facing the decision to retire...He remains a supreme route-runner and can be effective as any WR in the game today. Does that sound like a guy who should be hanging ‘em up??
Aside from winning a Super Bowl, there isn’t anything left for Fitz to accomplish. I guess passing T.O. for second place all time in receiving yards would be nice... but is that enough to bring Larry back? Doubt it.
I believe he will only return if he can clearly see some type of legit chance at a ring. That will only mean Palmer is back, as well as BA. There is no way he returns if Carson retires. Period.
It has been an incredible honor to have been blessed with the oppty to watch Fitz from day one. And if yesterday was his final day playing at home, I am SO thankful to have witnessed it...

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Was at the game and man, watching Larry being Larry, you would never know he’s facing the decision to retire...He remains a supreme route-runner and can be effective as any WR in the game today. Does that sound like a guy who should be hanging ‘em up??
Aside from winning a Super Bowl, there isn’t anything left for Fitz to accomplish. I guess passing T.O. for second place all time in receiving yards would be nice... but is that enough to bring Larry back? Doubt it.
I believe he will only return if he can clearly see some type of legit chance at a ring. That will only mean Palmer is back, as well as BA. There is no way he returns if Carson retires. Period.
It has been an incredible honor to have been blessed with the oppty to watch Fitz from day one. And if yesterday was his final day playing at home, I am SO thankful to have witnessed it...

So glad you were there to see the game, 82. What a treat!

As long as the Cardinals have a coach and a QB Fitz is comfortable with, he likely will stay another year. I could see him getting excited playing for a number of coaches and QBs. Obviously Fitz is used to catching passes from a variety of QBs. And while Fitz is very loyal to BA, it might make him extra happy to know that with a new coach he will not have to block LBs and SSs as much at this point in his career.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Larry has played with many QBs and different HCs. I don't think he is hung up that BA and Palmer have to be back. I think it will have more to do with playing for a team that has a good chance to make the playoffs. IMO we have a very good defense. Keim has gone on record that there will be change so lets see what he does. There is no rush for Larry to have to make a decision.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My only critique, Mitch, is that when it came to Calvin Pace, I would hardly call a season where he had 80 tackles, 6.5 sacks, and an INT as struggling mightily. In truth the Cards let him go at a time when he was starting to show his potential. Believe me, we could have used his 7 sacks in 2008.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
My only critique, Mitch, is that when it came to Calvin Pace, I would hardly call a season where he had 80 tackles, 6.5 sacks, and an INT as struggling mightily. In truth the Cards let him go at a time when he was starting to show his potential. Believe me, we could have used his 7 sacks in 2008.

True. He played well in his contract year and was gone in FA. He also has the mysterious arm injury. It was 3 years of frustration and one year of promise.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
nfortunately, the NFL rewards losing. Just as the Colts tanked for a year to be able to go from Peyton Manning to Andrew Luck.

Great write up Mitch, and a great read.

I hope your not thinking the Colts lost games on purpose though when you say tanked. I mean they won 2 of their last three games that year. It also cost their head coach and GM their jobs. IIRC they almost lost that first pick to someone by winning those 2 games. Minnesota maybe?

Edit to add a link about just such things.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ny-similar-campaign-is-an-impossible-endeavor

Last edited:

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you want an example of a team tanking, look no further than this past weekend's opponent. The Giants are either mailing it in by design or due to apathy but the entire team's heart definitely isn't on the field.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you want an example of a team tanking, look no further than this past weekend's opponent. The Giants are either mailing it in by design or due to apathy but the entire team's heart definitely isn't on the field.

The same Giants team that put up a bunch of points on the Eagles and almost beat them?

A road game on the opposite coast against a quality D is more the answer IMO.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
So glad you were there to see the game, 82. What a treat!

As long as the Cardinals have a coach and a QB Fitz is comfortable with, he likely will stay another year. I could see him getting excited playing for a number of coaches and QBs. Obviously Fitz is used to catching passes from a variety of QBs. And while Fitz is very loyal to BA, it might make him extra happy to know that with a new coach he will not have to block LBs and SSs as much at this point in his career.

speculation. Likely fueled by the fact Larry is a pro and all around good guy.
There was animosity when BA first arrived...I guess I'm the only one who remembers that? Then there was that real dirty WTF look when BA told a reporter we werent trying to win against seattle at the end of 2015....
IMO...Larry is Loyal to his team,..but it might be a stretch to say he is loyal to BA

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As Strahan has indicated, the Giants. Are a bunch of pu__y’s. Our shutout win means ABSOLUTELY nothing. A good team at home should have put up at least 40 on that mess.