ARI @ CIN: Heroes and Goats

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Reddick made a few really good plays against Cincinnati. His 4th down stop was, nice; shed weak block by Mixon and stuffed Dalton for a loss. He also got a QB hit or two on the blitz. He is a disappointing player for sure, but he's not as bad as 70% of this board claims. I know I've heard you talk about this before, but outside of the top ten of the draft, if you draft a solid contributor in the first round every year, you can live with that. I think Reddick is starting to be a solid contributor, just not the star people expect.

I'm with you on Budda. Solid player, but doesn't make ANY plays. That sucks but it's not a deal breaker. The problem isn't necessarily that he doesn't make plays, it's that no one in the secondary is making any big plays. What's crazy is that there have only been two real opportunities, Murphy's drop in the Seahawks game and Brock's drop in the Lions game. They just haven't been in position to make plays on the ball. I don't think Murphy is ever going to be a big play guy, so the team needs a free safety that can make consistent interceptions.

My problem with Baker is that it still seems like people on Hardy Drive think he's good. Obviously, the Cards Underground people aren't the GM, but the messaging is pretty consistent. The Cards can't improve their D if they think that Baker is going to be one of the 4 best players on a good defense.

Reddick maybe had his best game yesterday, but it's hard to take much away from a game against a garbage team like the Bengals. Can Keim swallow his disappointment and extend him as the C+ player that he is? I don't know. He hasn't really shown the ability to recognize the value in the guys who were good but not as good as he wanted them to be (Buc, Golden, etc.).

6th round pick who doesn't have great speed. He is everything he can be at this point. If you are expecting him to be a starting WR, that is on you, not him.

I think that Johnson has wildly outperformed his draft position already. The problem is that outperforming his draft position is being a good #4 WR. He played 95% of the Cards snaps yesterday.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
My problem with Baker is that it still seems like people on Hardy Drive think he's good. Obviously, the Cards Underground people aren't the GM, but the messaging is pretty consistent. The Cards can't improve their D if they think that Baker is going to be one of the 4 best players on a good defense.

Reddick maybe had his best game yesterday, but it's hard to take much away from a game against a garbage team like the Bengals. Can Keim swallow his disappointment and extend him as the C+ player that he is? I don't know. He hasn't really shown the ability to recognize the value in the guys who were good but not as good as he wanted them to be (Buc, Golden, etc.).

I think that Johnson has wildly outperformed his draft position already. The problem is that outperforming his draft position is being a good #4 WR. He played 95% of the Cards snaps yesterday.

My biggest complaint about Keim outside of letting real good players go without a replacement, is letting mid-Tier free agents go like Darren Fells, Golden, etc.

Most teams keep guys like this on the cheap for 3-4 years past their rookie deal.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I do. I think if we got Peterson back and had an either an elite safety or above-average interior lineman, we'd be a top 10 defense.

Agree... and in my idea of priority, interior d-lineman is numero uno! We get nothing, and I mean nothing, from our interior... our d-line is all about Chandler Jones and the havoc/pressure he routinely brings.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Side note, I liked what I saw from the Thompson's yesterday.

they were at least in the picture contesting receptions vs. showing up two beats after the catch and trying to make the tackle

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the Marcus Golden thing mystified me

he signed a one year $3.75mm contract --

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just for fun, how are Joey Bosa and Quinnen Williams doing?? No idea.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just for fun, how are Joey Bosa and Quinnen Williams doing?? No idea.

Nick Bosa 4 tackles and 1 sack but plays tonight and will improve those numbers.

Quinnen Williams 5 tackles and 0 sacks but has only played in 2 games

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My biggest complaint about Keim outside of letting real good players go without a replacement, is letting mid-Tier free agents go like Darren Fells, Golden, etc.

Most teams keep guys like this on the cheap for 3-4 years past their rookie deal.
Golden would be so nice to have right now.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nick Bosa 4 tackles and 1 sack but plays tonight and will improve those numbers.

Quinnen Williams 5 tackles and 0 sacks but has only played in 2 games

Some later round guys outperformed them
That say a lot about draft prospect rankings and the hype some players receive

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rookie seasons are rookie seasons

I 100% believe Williams will be a difference maker in the NFL

I 100% believe Bosa will be good while on the field

Every rookie, even Andy Isabella needs a season or two

That seems to be more the exception than the rule nowadays... So many rookies are coming in and killing it from day one at many positions.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That seems to be more the exception than the rule nowadays... So many rookies are coming in and killing it from day one at many positions.

More never really make it than really do make it. It's never been any different, it never will be. It's skewed over time by who you focus on. For example, we are going to talk about Bosa and Williams for years now, but does anyone know much about the other draft picks on their teams? And, if you do, do you have a life? A job?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Is that true though? In the first 2 rounds there are 60+ players drafted. I mean maybe 1/4 blo up year 1

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok so not great

Bosa is the best defensive player on the field tonight on a team that has 4-5 first round picks on the DL alone.

I'm happy we took Kyler but you could absolutely defend taking Bosa instead.

3 tackles tonight, 1 sack, 1 TFL, 4 hits on the Qb. Admittedly Cleveland is short handed on the OL but Bosa is damn near dominant tonight and that's after missing much of camp and preseason with the injury.

And Chase Young might be even better next year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 sacks now, he actually had 3 but they didn't credit him with a sack at the end of the half when they should have. Again I'm happy with Kyler but you can make a very good argument picking Bosa would have been a great choice too, he's a phenomenal young player.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Hey @kerouac9

When do we get the FBO QB reporting? Usually you post that at some point.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
FWIW, I dont think Budda got burned. Safety (one of the thompsons) made a poor read and decided to help the corner on the 15 yard out instead of helping Budda on a straight vertical

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn