ARI @ BAL – Heroes and Goats

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by kerouac9, Sep 16, 2019.

1. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks ASFN Contributor Contributor

The plays we are running are not the only issue in the red zone. It also comes down to the players not being 100% in sync yet. Also Murray is still learning the NFL game and part of that is the different looks he sees in the red zone. It's easy to call out KK for his play calling with the redzone futility, but the fact is that if some of the plays he called were executed perfectly and thus resulted in some TDs than no one would be questioning those play calls.

That's not to say that the play calls haven't been an issue, but it is very tough to know right now just how much of it is the calls and how much of it is the players not executing well enough.

2. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

This is very accurate. A play call is not good or bad based only upon it's outcome.

kerouac9 likes this.
  3. SECTION 11

SECTION 11 vibraslap

Before the season I thought there was no way you stop Murray from inside the ten. The good news is that this seems pretty clearly self-inflicted and correctable.

cardsfanmd and kerouac9 like this.
  4. gimpy

gimpy Registered

Some people might argue that. You might think that, but, if the play fails, for whatever reason, then is it a good call?
    One might argue that a good call is one that has success.

5. CardsSunsDbacks

Yes because there are gray areas in football. A call could be good and not be executed properly. Or a call could be bad, but because of a bad play by the defender or bail out scramble by Murray could cause it to work out. Just because it works or doesn’t work doesn’t dictate whether it was the right call or not.

Chopper0080 likes this.
  6. dscher

dscher Registered

Agreed. I'd rather see that fire between the two of em after a play then to just ignore each other and let it fester... I always feel better after getting into a heated argument. Lol.

7. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

Well how about the dropped pass by Agholor late in the Eagles game? That's a great call, wide open for a TD against a defense designed to not let someone get behind them, and he drops it. Perfect call bad execution

8. CardsSunsDbacks

I think the first fade play to Fitz was a great call because it got him into a 1 on 1 coverage with a smaller corner, but Murray just didn't throw it close enough to give Fitz a chance at it. Good call that got a good matchup, but wasn't executed well enough by the players.

9. kerouac9

kerouac9 #Stiff4Kliff

Fitz was absolutely blanketed on that play. When I free up some time, I'm planning to look at the Coaches Film and see if there were better decisions Kyler could've made in the red zone.

10. CardsSunsDbacks

Still 1 on 1 with a much smaller player. You should trust Fitz to make the play in that situation and try and squeeze it in back shoulder or something. Instead he either threw it away or just missed high.

11. kerouac9

kerouac9 #Stiff4Kliff

It's a long-term concern when you think about whether he's a core player on your team. I think he's a guy who is going to get overpaid for what he's able to do on the field. If he evolves into a team captain or something, then I think you can make a stronger argument go give him $10 million a year. But I think he'll be someone where you look and see he catches 80+ passes and 900+ yards over the next two or three seasons and then you overpay him.

Russ Smith likes this.
  12. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

I think he is clearly #2 here and if/when fitz leaves, he would be our #1. I see no reason why not. He has shown high end talent both years so far.

13. MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease Moderator Contributor

I think he has a lot to prove still before I would consider him as a #1. I think he will be a #2 at best.

Russ Smith likes this.
  14. Proximo

Proximo Registered

I don't think Kirk is what you want as #1. He should be fine as a 2, but your number one should be able to get open at will, and I don't think Kirk can.

15. kerouac9

kerouac9 #Stiff4Kliff

You will lose a lot of games with him as your #1 receiver, just like we've lost a lot of games with late-model Larry Fitzgerald as our #1 receiver. Our receiving corps needs to get better at the top.

I'm open to having my mind changed, but people are seeing something different than I am if they look at Christian Kirk and think that he's in the same class as Odell Beckham or Julio Jones. I don't think he can ever be a Top 10 wideout.

You're okay if he's a #2, but you'd prefer that he's a #3.