• What Is This?

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • Yes, just to watch a potenial train wreck

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Is anyone else a little turned off by the "Hot Shots" name? Really feels like they're trying to capitalize on a bunch of guys who suffered gruesome deaths.

If not for those guys dying I wouldn't have though a Football team called the "Hot Shots" would have anything to do with fire fighting. And the skeptic in me is pretty sure that if not for a tragic story about dead firefighters this team would not be named the "Hot Shots".

They said from the beginning they took the name to honor the firefighters. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone accuse them of any motive beyond that.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coaching in the AAF is a decent gig for salary/benefits.

http://footballscoop.com/news/sources-aaf-coaching-salaries-better-might-think/

In conversations with sources around the league, FootballScoop has learned that AAF head coaching salaries break out roughly as follows:

— $500,000 for head coaches
— $200-250,000 for coordinators
— $75-150,000 for position coaches

Connatix
While those salaries would not lure active coaches from the NFL or FBS, the AAF is paying above market rate for everything from FCS on down. Furthermore, those salaries come with full health benefits and perhaps the most important benefit — time off. The season runs from January through April and, while offseason duties vary from team to team, sources indicated it’s nothing approaching the level of offseason expected of coaches elsewhere in professional and college football.

A review of publicly-available AAF rosters found each staff employs between 11 and 13 total coaches, putting a ballpark figure for coaching staff expenditures at $2 million per staff and $16 million for the entire league. Polian favored established names — Steve Spurrier, Mike Riley, Mike Singletary — to serve as its inaugural roster of head coaches but, moving forward, a half-million dollar salary would be a tempting offer not only for lower-division coaches, but even active Group of 5 coordinators.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is anyone else a little turned off by the "Hot Shots" name? Really feels like they're trying to capitalize on a bunch of guys who suffered gruesome deaths.

If not for those guys dying I wouldn't have though a Football team called the "Hot Shots" would have anything to do with fire fighting. And the skeptic in me is pretty sure that if not for a tragic story about dead firefighters this team would not be named the "Hot Shots".
OK. They straight up said that they did it to honor those men, not capitalize on anything. Don't know why you would insinuate such.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Yah, there are some really horrendous uniforms colors,lol

I like the Hotshots ugly colors because it means something. I hope the actual families or the current fire service benefits in some way from this arrangement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mwanamatapa

Veteran
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are the Hotshots going to be around long enough for me to add a new section to this forum? :p
Leave them in with the Cardinals seeing as though they are purportedly a development league for the NFL.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...aaf-players-who-could-be-in-the-nfl-next-year

The AAF is a developmental league. The games should be viewed through that lens with an emphasis on young, promising talent, not those who've already had multiple NFL opportunities. Ten standouts—each 26 or younger—should already be in line for a "call-up" based on their potential and early performances.

"There's always a diamond in the rough or two," an anonymous NFL talent evaluator told USA Today's Mike Jones. "If a guy shines, we'll find him. This should definitely be a good thing."

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...aaf-players-who-could-be-in-the-nfl-next-year

The AAF is a developmental league. The games should be viewed through that lens with an emphasis on young, promising talent, not those who've already had multiple NFL opportunities. Ten standouts—each 26 or younger—should already be in line for a "call-up" based on their potential and early performances.

"There's always a diamond in the rough or two," an anonymous NFL talent evaluator told USA Today's Mike Jones. "If a guy shines, we'll find him. This should definitely be a good thing."
Judging by this past weeks performances, it won't be Christian Hackenberg.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Judging by this past weeks performances, it won't be Christian Hackenberg.

Yeah that dude was awful. Hard to believe he was a second round pick. Wasn't it him last year hitting reporters with errant passes during one of the Jets camps?

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As popular as minor league baseball is, I can't help but think this will be good for the sport.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't know how to watch it from here so no at the moment not. ^^

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
You can watch games on the AAF app too, not sure if all games are available though. They didn’t have live video last week but it’s there this week. They still need to add stats though.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looking to forward to watching tonight as I was impressed with last week's game. Be nice to see another win.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The Hotshots are big favorites today, Mike Singletary and Christian Hackenburg made Memphis look like the worst team in the AAF last week.

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Getting ready to watch, on the AAF website (cut the cord-no cable) and listening to Jeff Munn and Dale Halestrae (sp?)

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
“You rolled the ball.”

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
NFL needs to jump all over this and partner with or buy one of the leagues. Can you imagine an AAF combine and draft after the NFL draft? How interested would you be in this league if we could draft the best player in the league at the end of the season with another #1 draft pick?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson