And we disliked our trade!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today's SJ Mercury brings up an interesting tidbit from the past with JJ Stokes on his way out in San Francisco. The 49ers needed a WR and Stokes was the hot guy had a great year but then ran poorly and started slipping. Walsh et al were convinced he was a steal(frankly so was I he was uncoverable his last year at UCLA) and they made 2 moves to get Stokes.

Move #1, they released a young WR they'd been grooming but decided was too slow to be an everydown WR in the NFL.... Ed McCaffrey, who's done allright for himself in Denver.

Move #2, to get Stokes they traded next years #1 pick, moved up and took Stokes. Baltimore used that pick the following year to pick LB.... Ray Lewis.

I didn't realize that was the outcome of the deal I'll have to look it up because intuitively I don't recall the 49ers being bad enough to have had a pick high enough to get Lewis, but that's what was in Tim Kawakami's section today.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Bill Walsh is a GENIUS!

20 years ago...

5$ will get you 20$ he still thinks Plummer is the next Montana!

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
I thought I read this past weekend that Lewis was picked at something like #21 overall by Baltimore. I could be, and probably am, wrong. But I don't think he was a top 10 pick.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinal Bob
I thought I read this past weekend that Lewis was picked at something like #21 overall by Baltimore. I could be, and probably am, wrong. But I don't think he was a top 10 pick.

I think you are right.

MLBs rarely go very high anyway.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinal Bob

Ehh, who mentioned top 10? Anyway, Lewis was drafted at #26.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm sure

I've said this before, but, what about T.J for J.J. staright across?

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: I'm sure

Originally posted by jstadvl
I've said this before, but, what about T.J for J.J. staright across?

I don't think they want Jones, they have Hearst and Barlow. I do recall one of their RB's getting hurt but it was a little used backup.

Would be worth a shot I'm sure they would prefer to not give Stokes away for free.

Stokes can play but he never did live up to my expectations from what he did at UCLA. Maybe Sullivan and co could help him but his basic problem seems to be a lack of competitive "fire".

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Do you think Russ

If he happened to be the go to guy, instead of "standing in the shadows", it might bring out the competitibeness he showed with the Bruins? I do.