06: "Love, Hate, Love"
07: "It Ain't Like That"
08: "Sunshine"
09: "Put You Down"
10: "Confusion"
11: "I Know Somethin (Bout You)"
12: "Real Thing"

You must be registered for see images

I'm shocked that this album hasnt been done yet, but I do seem to recall that I promised Jim O. it when it was his turn, however, that never materialized...

What else can be said about this album and band that already hasnt? That they were one of the most influential bands of the 90s, that they had so much remaining if it wasnt for the demise of Layne Staley, that this along with "Dirt" both really defined what eventually became Nu-Metal especially with Staley's sheer awesome vocals and Jerry Cantrell's multi-dimensional guitar playing......

I'll just reflect on some memorable events/moments in my life that this album impacted me in one way or another... Most are hilarious:

One time I was a bonfire party in a open-wooded area and I was thoroughly wasted.... Well... as I always when I was buzzing I would talk nonstop and annoy anyone who was w/in earshot... Well.. there was this chest out there, so a few people decided to stuff and lock me in it...While they were rolling it around I began to sing "Man In The Box"...and lord.. did those people never live that down.....

I guess I have so many drunken memories of this album.. LWI (Listen While Intoxicated) Mode is in full-effect here with "Facelift"... One time I was at a party at a friend's house and I wandered off like I would do at times when I was buzzing and ran downstairs (I think everyone was asleep) and just put on this album and sung along with it for an hour.......

My favorite tracks are "Love, Hate, Love", "Confusion" (Mike Starr didnt do too bad in his backing vocals), and "Sunshine".... The only song I couldnt really tolerate is "Real Thing", but it still contains one of the most hilarious lines that any song has ever had... "Follow me down...Sexual chocolate baby".. What a way for them to conclude their debut album with that.....

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
LOVE LOVE LOVE this album (and band for that matter). ANC definitley is a big influence on my band...I still rank "Dirt" as on e my favorite all time albums!

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jttsaz said:
LOVE LOVE LOVE this album (and band for that matter). ANC definitley is a big influence on my band...I still rank "Dirt" as on e my favorite all time albums!

I actually did "Dirt" as the "Album-a-Day" #10 and I would agree that it is personally my favorite as well, but the reason to appreciate "Facelift" (just like Black Sabbath's debut, Tool's "Undertow" or "Kill "Em All" for that matter) is the rawness that it contained... It was somewhat like nothing that was ever heard before with the foundation that their debuts established and was interesting to see the direction that the bands took in broadening/expanding their scope of sound...It's truly remarkable, but unfortunate in AIC's case that they never reached those heights again....

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
KLL said:
I actually did "Dirt" as the "Album-a-Day" #10 and I would agree that it is personally my favorite as well, but the reason to appreciate "Facelift" (just like Black Sabbath's debut, Tool's "Undertow" or "Kill "Em All" for that matter) is the rawness that it contained... It was somewhat like nothing that was ever heard before with the foundation that their debuts established and was interesting to see the direction that the bands took in broadening/expanding their scope of sound...It's truly remarkable, but unfortunate in AIC's case that they never reached those heights again....
Agreed 100%..I remember when I first heard Facelift...I was working at Wherehouse Music and someone put the promo in...I was blown away! We Die Young's huge guitar sound and Layne's unique vocal style....I was hooked!

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jttsaz said:
Agreed 100%..I remember when I first heard Facelift...I was working at Wherehouse Music and someone put the promo in...I was blown away! We Die Young's huge guitar sound and Layne's unique vocal style....I was hooked!

Yeah... it definitely was revolutionary moment when I first heard "Facelift" as well... Did you ever listen to Mad Season (Layne's '95/'96 project) and any of Cantrell's solo material?

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
I bought Cantrells latest album which came out last year I think. I thought it sounded alot like ANC's...wasn't quite as catchy as ANC's heyday material but solid none the less...

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jttsaz said:
I bought Cantrells latest album which came out last year I think. I thought it sounded alot like ANC's...wasn't quite as catchy as ANC's heyday material but solid none the less...

Yeah... I agree that "Degradation Trip" was probably the best Cantrell sounded since "Dirt".... I dont know if you had the chance to check-out an earlier thread I posted, but it contained 7 out of the 9 tracks that were only released on the deluxe edition of the album... And lord.. did those songs sound extremely unique.. Unfortunately, the links in that thread have since expired, but I could update them for you if you didnt originally check them out.....It wouldnt be any problem whatsoever to do so..especially since it's worth it....

I was entirely impressed with his debut solo album "Boggy Depot", but my theory is that he was saving his best material for if/when AIC would ever reunite (he probably still had the faintest hope that Layne would finally get his act together).... Cantrell always had about anywhere between 100-200 compositions in his "back-log" waiting to be recorded (with AIC getting the highest priority of the better ones), but knowing that they wouldnt make a comeback (even before Layne's death) he realized that the only vehicle to get those songs out were to be done solo.... I just love the ensemble cast of that album still... I mean.... Mike Bordin on drums, Robert Trujillo on bass, with Chris DeGarmo helping along on rhythm guitar... just imagine what type of super band that would be, but obviously all of them have so many committments that there's no way that could completely materialize....

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Classic album. Created its own genre and they didn't sound like the other Seattle groups.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jttsaz said:
I will give them a listen...thanks for posting them! U ROCK!

Thanks... but.. no..actually you and your band are the ones that REALLY ROCK!

I just came across another one (titled "Owned") of those tracks and will add it to the other 7 I previously posted....

Oran said:
Classic album. Created its own genre and they didn't sound like the other Seattle groups.

I agree... AIC had a little more of an edgier sound than their Seattle counterparts and also the best 2-part harmony of those other bands as well....

I know you dont post on this forum as much as you once did, but I am wondering if you'd be interested again (or in fact also Jttsaz) in participating in Album-a-Day?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard