89th Annual Oscars

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
89th Annual Oscars

Oscars 2017 nominees list in full: La La Land matches record held by Titanic and All About Eve

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...onlight-ryan-gosling-when-is-it-a7541981.html

The nominations for Oscars 2017 have been announced and, as expected, it's La La Land vs Moonlight.

Nominations were announced via a live stream today (24 January) by singer Jennifer Hudson, actors Brie Larson and Ken Watanabe, director Jason Reitman, Birdman and The Revenant cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki, and Academy president Cheryl Boone Isaacs in a slight change from the usual format which saw contenders revealed in front of a live audience.

The Oscars will take place at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood on Sunday 26 February. Jimmy Kimmel will present.

These are the 2017 nominations in full:

BEST PICTURE

Arrival
Fences
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell or High Water
Hidden Figures
La La Land
Lion
Manchester by the Sea
Moonlight

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea
Andrew Garfield, Hacksaw Ridge
Ryan Gosling, La La Land
Viggo Mortensen, Captain Fantastic
Denzel Washington, Fences

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

Isabelle Huppert, Elle
Ruth Negga, Loving
Natalie Portman, Jackie
Emma Stone, La La Land
Meryl Streep, Florence Foster Jenkins

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Mahershala Ali, Moonlight
Jeff Bridges, Hell or High Water
Lucas Hedges, Manchester by the Sea
Dev Patel, Lion
Michael Shannon, Nocturnal Animals

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Viola Davis, Fences
Naomie Harris, Moonlight
Nicole Kidman, Lion
Octavia Spencer, Hidden Figures
Michelle Williams, Manchester by the Sea

DIRECTING

Denis Villeneuve, Arrival
Mel Gibson, Hacksaw Ridge
Damien Chazelle, La La Land
Kenneth Lonergan, Manchester by the Sea
Barry Jenkins, Moonlight

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Arrival
Fences
Hidden Figures
Lion
Moonlight

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Hell of High water
La La Land
The Lobster
Manchester by the Sea
20th Century Women

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

Kubo and the Two Strings
Moana
My Life as a Zucchini
The Red Turtle
Zootopia

FOREIGN LANGUAGE

Land of Mine
A Man Called Ove
The Salesman
Tanna
Toni Erdmann

CINEMATOGRAPHY

Arrival
La La Land
Lion
Moonlight
Silence

COSTUME DESIGN

Allied
Fantastic Beasts
Florence Foster Jenkins
Jackie
La La Land

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

Fire at Sea
I am Not Your Negro
Life Animated
OJ Made in America
The 13th

DOCUMENTARY SHORT

Extremis
4.1 Miles
Joe's Violin
Watani: My Homeland
The White Helmets

EDITING

Arrival
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell or High Water
La La Land
Moonlight

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING

A Man Called Ove
Star Trek Beyond
Suicide Squad

ORIGINAL SCORE

Jackie
La La Land
Lion
Moonlight
Passengers

ORIGINAL SONG

Audition, La La Land
Can’t Stop the Feeling, Trolls
City of Stars, La La Land
The Empty Chair, The James Foley Story
How Far I’ll Go, Moana

PRODUCTION DESIGN

Arrival
Fantastic Beasts
Hail Caesar
La La Land
Passengers

ANIMATED SHORT FILM

Blind Vaysha
Borrowed Time
Pear Cider and Cigarettes
Pearl
Piper

LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM

Ennemis Interieurs
La Femme et le TGV
Silent Nights
Sing
Timecode

SOUND EDITING

Arrival
Deepwater Horizon
Hacksaw Ridge
La La Land
Sully

SOUND MIXING

Arrival
Hacksaw Ridge
La La Land
Rogue One
13 Hours

VISUAL EFFECTS

Deepwater Horizon
Doctor Strange
The Jungle Book
Kubo and the Two Strings
Rogue One

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Not a lot of surprises there, except MAYBE Mel Gibson for Best Director and all the Hacksaw Ridge love. It was a decent movie, but not sure it was award-worthy.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a lot of surprises there, except MAYBE Mel Gibson for Best Director and all the Hacksaw Ridge love. It was a decent movie, but not sure it was award-worthy.

interesting. I was pretty floored by it... and I'm not only Jewish, but hate Andrew Garfield and that perfect hair of his. Mel might hate him some Heebs, but the man can direct the ever-living ish out of some hellish action sequences. I thought it was a pretty incredible tale of faith and survival.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but Deadpool is arguably the best movie of the year, with an incredible script, excellent actors, and masterful directing, cinematography, effects, etc. In a weak movie year, this was BY FAR better than most of the crowd, in many categories. Not one single nomination? Asterisk year, Oscars. Doesn't count, in my estimation. Everything you do is invalid. Thank you, drive through, you elitist bastards.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think I've watched every single Oscars. Me and my family make it a game we always do an Oscar pickem and everyone puts $20 in the pot. My family is big, so the pot is big too! lol

This year, I honestly might just skip it. Half the stars are going to feel inclined to get on their soap box about one cause or another and I just cant handle anymore celebrity politics right now. It's exhausting.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but Deadpool is arguably the best movie of the year, with an incredible script, excellent actors, and masterful directing, cinematography, effects, etc. In a weak movie year, this was BY FAR better than most of the crowd, in many categories. Not one single nomination? Asterisk year, Oscars. Doesn't count, in my estimation. Everything you do is invalid. Thank you, drive through, you elitist bastards.
Still a superhero movie. Some might think you yourself are being elitist with this rant.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

LOL... no. IMO.

Stout

Reaction score
LOL... no. IMO.

Oh Cheese, not you too. You honestly believe Deadpool deserved exactly zero noms?

Still a superhero movie. Some might think you yourself are being elitist with this rant.

Wow. Way to paint yourself as an elitist Hollywood hack. These are awards for movies. Yes, I get that the Oscars snobs scorn superhero movies all the time, but Deadpool is indeed a movie. I didn't think you'd lump yourself in with them. SMH

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree Deadpool was one of the better movies, but which category would it go in? I could see sound editing or editing maybe. Compared to the nominations it's hard to find a category for it.

Not that I've seen all the movies, but this does seem like a year where it is typical nominations.

And, why is Zootopia listed as the UK version, Zootropolis??
... Never mind, I just realized the link was a UK link

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Oh Cheese, not you too. You honestly believe Deadpool deserved exactly zero noms?

Wow. Way to paint yourself as an elitist Hollywood hack. These are awards for movies. Yes, I get that the Oscars snobs scorn superhero movies all the time, but Deadpool is indeed a movie. I didn't think you'd lump yourself in with them. SMH
Pretty big accusation you're making on your keyboard there, Stout. I never said anything other than to give you a pretty solid reason WHY it wasn't nominated for anything. And you attack me like that? Shame on you.

Stout

Reaction score
Pretty big accusation you're making on your keyboard there, Stout. I never said anything other than to give you a pretty solid reason WHY it wasn't nominated for anything. And you attack me like that? Shame on you.

Hey, I read your post as you agreeing with the Academy. If you don't, then mea culpa. Funny enough, though, you didn't follow up by offering a personal opinion. Do you actually agree with them on the topic?

As for being behind a keyboard, bah. I don't differentiate between online and talking in person. If someone told me to my face Deadpool didn't deserve a single nomination, I'd either laugh uproariously, tell them how wrong they are, or both. I'm fairly opinionated all the time.

Stout

Reaction score
I agree Deadpool was one of the better movies, but which category would it go in? I could see sound editing or editing maybe. Compared to the nominations it's hard to find a category for it.

Not that I've seen all the movies, but this does seem like a year where it is typical nominations.

And, why is Zootopia listed as the UK version, Zootropolis??
... Never mind, I just realized the link was a UK link

Start with Best Picture and work your way down. No, it shouldn't be nominated in everything in my original post, but a movie that was EASILY one of the best of the year getting shut out is a sin. I mean, if someone told the Academy there was a movie with a strong romantic story line that was extremely meta and broke the fourth wall in quite an artistic fashion, they'd be falling all over themselves to nominate it. This one just happens to be a comic book movie.

Stout

Reaction score
I hate musicals. They should be barred from any sort of consideration by the Academy, because musicals suck.

JK, I don't hate them. It's more of a minor dislike, while loving some of them, but you get the gist here.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Start with Best Picture and work your way down. No, it shouldn't be nominated in everything in my original post, but a movie that was EASILY one of the best of the year getting shut out is a sin. I mean, if someone told the Academy there was a movie with a strong romantic story line that was extremely meta and broke the fourth wall in quite an artistic fashion, they'd be falling all over themselves to nominate it. This one just happens to be a comic book movie.
That is simply your opinion. I liked Deadpool, but would I consider it award-worthy? It is tailor-made for People's Choice Awards, but Oscars? Come on now.

I think screenplay and some of the technical awards would have been appropriate, but Best Picture? That's a pretty big stretch simply because you liked the movie.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I hate musicals. They should be barred from any sort of consideration by the Academy, because musicals suck.

JK, I don't hate them. It's more of a minor dislike, while loving some of them, but you get the gist here.

I talked to musicals, they said they hate you too.

Stout

Reaction score
That is simply your opinion. I liked Deadpool, but would I consider it award-worthy? It is tailor-made for People's Choice Awards, but Oscars? Come on now.

I think screenplay and some of the technical awards would have been appropriate, but Best Picture? That's a pretty big stretch simply because you liked the movie.

That's all the middle ground I was looking for. Screenplay and other technical awards would have been more than appropriate, IMO.

Even though most people I talk to consider it the best movie of the year, and it is undoubtedly one of the best five or six, I never expected it to win best picture (though at least a nomination would have been a nice nod). The Academy is too old, stuck up, and locked in its ways to do anything more. I get that. But to shut it out altogether is to play ostrich as to what's happening in movies anymore.

I talked to musicals, they said they hate you too.

That's just because I dumped musicals after the first date. Every time I asked musicals a question, they broke out into song. Good thing it was just a coffee date.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score

I don't care too much for the Oscars but I did fall asleep twice while trying to watch Deadpool

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
That's all the middle ground I was looking for. Screenplay and other technical awards would have been more than appropriate, IMO.

Even though most people I talk to consider it the best movie of the year, and it is undoubtedly one of the best five or six, I never expected it to win best picture (though at least a nomination would have been a nice nod). The Academy is too old, stuck up, and locked in its ways to do anything more. I get that. But to shut it out altogether is to play ostrich as to what's happening in movies anymore.

That's just because I dumped musicals after the first date. Every time I asked musicals a question, they broke out into song. Good thing it was just a coffee date.
Haha dude you kill me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loathe musicals, have never made it past 10 minutes into a single one. I even had a hard time watching southparks musical episodes.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm no fan of musicals either, but there are a few that I like:

Sound of Music
Moulin Rouge

And of course, Disney animated fare could all be considered musicals as well.

Stout

Reaction score
Oh, I like my fair share of musicals, especially South Park and Spamalot. I saw a neat production of Cabaret on Broadway with...I think it was John Secada?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard