89th Annual Oscars

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh Cheese, not you too. You honestly believe Deadpool deserved exactly zero noms?

Pretty much. I thought the first 45 minutes were fun and different but then it devolved into another superhero movie origin story... with dick jokes.

I thought it was fun, but really didn't get the hype for it.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
But could you imagine Deadpool coming out to accept an award if he actually won??

Heck, even having him scurry around the show as a kind of a "behind the scenes with Deadpool" would be funny.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Pretty much. I thought the first 45 minutes were fun and different but then it devolved into another superhero movie origin story... with dick jokes.

I thought it was fun, but really didn't get the hype for it.

Oh, I thought you were saying these movies should never get any consideration--the Academy hard line, if you will. Granted, I think you're insane for not liking it, but I won't criticize you for THAT :)

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Oh, I thought you were saying these movies should never get any consideration--the Academy hard line, if you will. Granted, I think you're insane for not liking it, but I won't criticize you for THAT :)

Right? You think you know a guy and then he's just so,,, wrong about something it really makes ya question everything... I'm liking Trump more everyday.

:p Jk Cheese

But could you imagine Deadpool coming out to accept an award if he actually won??

Heck, even having him scurry around the show as a kind of a "behind the scenes with Deadpool" would be funny.

Dude, since I read this post, I've been thinking about that for like 5 minutes and it just get's funnier and funnier! :notworthy: Oh the shenanigans... You really need to get network on the line and make that happen Bill!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The 89th annual Hollywood elitist pat yourself on the back and make unwanted political commentary awards.... fantastic...does anyone actually watch this crap?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
IMo, the SAG awards actually have more value... but they are not worth watching either

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i never said I didn't like it. I said the first forty minutes were really good and the rest was fun.

as far as the academy hardline... no. I still maintain that The Dark Knight not only got robbed of a nomination for Best Picture, but should have won as well. That wasn't just a Batman movie... it was an epic crime saga, that had a lot of political undertones as far as surveillance and the role it can play for both the good and bad in society. If Return Of The King could win best picture (as it rightly did, IMO), TDK should have at least gotten nominated.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
i never said I didn't like it. I said the first forty minutes were really good and the rest was fun.

as far as the academy hardline... no. I still maintain that The Dark Knight not only got robbed of a nomination for Best Picture, but should have won as well. That wasn't just a Batman movie... it was an epic crime saga, that had a lot of political undertones as far as surveillance and the role it can play for both the good and bad in society. If Return Of The King could win best picture (as it rightly did, IMO), TDK should have at least gotten nominated.
Agreed, and it's the reason that I thought we were heading in the right direction last year when Mad Max Fury Road was nominated. Guess not, although most of the field this year, while pretty meh, is still understandable.

Deadpool is the kind of movie that would sweep the MTV Movie Awards, not the Oscars. Unfortunate, but true.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, and it's the reason that I thought we were heading in the right direction last year when Mad Max Fury Road was nominated. Guess not, although most of the field this year, while pretty meh, is still understandable.

Deadpool is the kind of movie that would sweep the MTV Movie Awards, not the Oscars. Unfortunate, but true.

Yeah... I wouldn't put Deadpool in the same sentence as Mad Max at all. Max was truly something artistic... an act of all out carnage on screen that I don't know that I've really ever seen. Deadpool wasn't anything like that, IMO.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pretty cool that The Lobster was nominated for best original screenplay.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BEST PICTURE
Arrival
Fences
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell or High Water
Hidden Figures
La La Land
Lion
Manchester by the Sea
Moonlight *WINNER*

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea *WINNER*
Andrew Garfield, Hacksaw Ridge
Ryan Gosling, La La Land
Viggo Mortensen, Captain Fantastic
Denzel Washington, Fences

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

Isabelle Huppert, Elle
Ruth Negga, Loving
Natalie Portman, Jackie
Emma Stone, La La Land *WINNER*
Meryl Streep, Florence Foster Jenkins

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Mahershala Ali, Moonlight *WINNER*
Jeff Bridges, Hell or High Water
Lucas Hedges, Manchester by the Sea
Dev Patel, Lion
Michael Shannon, Nocturnal Animals

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Viola Davis, Fences *WINNER*
Naomie Harris, Moonlight
Nicole Kidman, Lion
Octavia Spencer, Hidden Figures
Michelle Williams, Manchester by the Sea

DIRECTING
Denis Villeneuve, Arrival
Mel Gibson, Hacksaw Ridge
Damien Chazelle, La La Land *WINNER*
Kenneth Lonergan, Manchester by the Sea
Barry Jenkins, Moonlight

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Arrival
Fences
Hidden Figures
Lion
Moonlight *WINNER*

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Hell or High Water
La La Land
The Lobster
Manchester by the Sea *WINNER*
20th Century Women

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
Kubo and the Two Strings
Moana
My Life as a Zucchini
The Red Turtle
Zootopia *WINNER*

FOREIGN LANGUAGE
Land of Mine
A Man Called Ove
The Salesman *WINNER*
Tanna
Toni Erdmann

CINEMATOGRAPHY
Arrival
La La Land *WINNER*
Lion
Moonlight
Silence

COSTUME DESIGN
Allied
Fantastic Beasts *WINNER*
Florence Foster Jenkins
Jackie
La La Land

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
Fire at Sea
I am Not Your Negro
Life Animated
OJ Made in America *WINNER*
The 13th

DOCUMENTARY SHORT
Extremis
4.1 Miles
Joe's Violin
Watani: My Homeland
The White Helmets *WINNER*

EDITING
Arrival
Hacksaw Ridge *WINNER*
Hell or High Water
La La Land
Moonlight

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
A Man Called Ove
Star Trek Beyond
Suicide Squad *WINNER*

ORIGINAL SCORE
Jackie
La La Land *WINNER*
Lion
Moonlight
Passengers

ORIGINAL SONG
Audition, La La Land
Can’t Stop the Feeling, Trolls
City of Stars, La La Land *WINNER*
The Empty Chair, The James Foley Story
How Far I’ll Go, Moana

PRODUCTION DESIGN
Arrival
Fantastic Beasts
Hail, Caesar!
La La Land *WINNER*
Passengers

ANIMATED SHORT FILM
Blind Vaysha
Borrowed Time
Pear Cider and Cigarettes
Pearl
Piper *WINNER*

LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM
Ennemis Interieurs
La Femme et le TGV
Silent Nights
Sing *WINNER*
Timecode

SOUND EDITING
Arrival *WINNER*
Deepwater Horizon
Hacksaw Ridge
La La Land
Sully

SOUND MIXING
Arrival
Hacksaw Ridge *WINNER*
La La Land
Rogue One
13 Hours

VISUAL EFFECTS
Deepwater Horizon
Doctor Strange
The Jungle Book *WINNER*
Kubo and the Two Strings
Rogue One

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oscars Screwup Gives ‘Moonlight’s’ Best Picture Award to ‘La La Land’

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...e-s-moonlight-s-best-picture-award-la-n725966

"It's very unfortunate." That's all host Jimmy Kimmel could say Sunday night after the Academy Award for best motion picture was initially given to "La La Land" — even though "Moonlight" was the winner.

Warren Beatty, who presented the final award of the evening with Faye Dunaway, his co-star in "Bonnie and Clyde," paused as he looked at the card bearing the name of the winning movie. He handed the card to Dunaway, who called out "La La Land."

But a minute or two into the celebration by "La La Land's" cast and crew, producer Jordan Horowitz stepped to the microphone, asked for quiet and said the real winner was "Moonlight."

Gasps were heard around the auditorium.

"This is not a joke," Horowitz said as the cast and crew of "La La Land" left the stage.

"Moonlight," about a young boy struggling with poverty and his sexuality in Miami, was nominated for eight Academy Awards and also brought a supporting actor Oscar for first timer Mahershala Ali.

It represented a nod to diversity, only a year after only white actors were nominated in the top four Academy Awards categories, prompting the #OscarsSoWhite boycott.

Made for just $1.5 million, "Moonlight" is an unusually small Oscar winner. Having made just over $22 million as of Sunday at the box office, it's one of the lowest grossing best-picture winners ever — but also one of the most critically adored.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Jimmy Kimmel was an awesome host.

Glad La La Land didn't win best picture.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Another oopsie.........

-----------------------------------

A producer whose picture appeared in the “In Memoriam” segment is actually “alive and well.

The show had the correct name in the montage ― Janet Patterson, an Australian costume designer and four-time Oscar nominee. But the image showed Jan Chapman, an Australian producer who worked with Patterson on “The Piano” and “Bright Star.” Patterson earned nominations for both films, the Telegraph noted. Chapman told Variety she was devastated that her image was used instead of her “great friend and longtime collaborator” Patterson.

“I am alive and well and an active producer,” Chapman wrote in an email to the trade publication.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Jimmy Kimmel was an awesome host.

Glad La La Land didn't win best picture.

Agreed on Kimmel.

And what an EPIC fail at the end. The shame of it all is that the entire story today is the disaster over what should be looked at as a pretty historic wi /upset.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
The 89th annual Hollywood elitist pat yourself on the back and make unwanted political commentary awards.... fantastic...does anyone actually watch this crap?

Um, no.

Just remind them that at the end of the day all they really are is a bunch of overpaid court jesters.

Flip them a quarter and tell them to entertain you... no one cares about their opinion on anything.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
All these award shows deserve these snaffus. They are ridiculously over complicated with the envelopes. They treat them like the nuclear football. I heard that PWC manages the envelopes and has multiple agents on both sides of the stage and yadayada.

You could have an intern type out all the winning cards. Have a supervisor look them over. Good? Boom, done.

Awards night starts, hand the envelope to the presenter.

Dumb dumb dumb. They are so full of self importance

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
All these award shows deserve these snaffus. They are ridiculously over complicated with the envelopes. They treat them like the nuclear football. I heard that PWC manages the envelopes and has multiple agents on both sides of the stage and yadayada.

You could have an intern type out all the winning cards. Have a supervisor look them over. Good? Boom, done.

Awards night starts, hand the envelope to the presenter.

Dumb dumb dumb. They are so full of self importance
A lot are, but a lot of others are people that take advantage of their overexposure. Leonardo DeCaprio has done a lot of good for the environment, Angelina Jolie has done a lot of good for refugees and the poor in Africa. But they are self-important, so none of that matters. Money or not, they've done a lot more for charity than you'll ever do.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Money or not, they've done a lot more for charity than you'll ever do.

Dont ever assume that.

In fact one could argue given their resources and free time, as compared to somebody who makes a fraction of them and works a 9-5, they do less than they can.

For example:
Leo is worth $100,000,000 and donates $10,000. I might only be worth $2,000 but give $100. Who gave more?

Obviously me based on ratio. But moreover its not a competition. Good deeds are good deeds regardless of size.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Dont ever assume that.

In fact one could argue given their resources and free time, as compared to somebody who makes a fraction of them and works a 9-5, they do less than they can.

For example:
Leo is worth $100,000,000 and donates $10,000. I might only be worth $2,000 but give $100. Who gave more?

Obviously me based on ratio. But moreover its not a competition. Good deeds are good deeds regardless of size.
Um, sure. But what makes your good deed any better than another person's good deed, whoever they are? Sounds like complaining just to complain.