2014 Suns Free Agency

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm with having 3 PGs and everything but you realize that with a starting backcourt of a 5'9 PG and a 6'3 SG who are both bad defenders, the Suns will be absolutely terrible and trash for years to come right?

If we need to replace Bledsoe and want to sign another RFA, then do it with Avery Bradley or someone like that, not Thomas.

IF the Suns brought in Thomas and Bledsoe was gone, they would start Dragic and Green (based on current roster), not Thomas and Dragic IMO. Thomas would come off the bench. I don't want Thomas either, but he can play. I don't think it's an issue anyway as I don't believe him to come here.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I thought I read on another site that Thomas would need similar contract to Bledsoe to work in CBA and I wouldn't go anywhere near Bledsoe's price tag w/ Thomas. Would rather just keep Bledsoe.

If by any chance Suns red flag Bledsoe's knee - I'm thinking there will be better deals out there in S&T?? Preferably Frontcourt player...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a joke. McDonough's fetish for PGs is almost worse than Sarver's fetish for brothers.

What the hell are we trying to get all these PGs for? We already drafted a PG in the top 20 when there was clearly no need for one and now we are trying to snag one in free agency too?

Thomas
Bledsoe
Ennis
Dragic
Plumlee

Apparently that's the lineup we're trying to get.

And if its to replace Bledsoe, I would much rather have Lowry than Thomas who has never played a lick of defense his life and is severely undersized to be a guard along with Dragic who isn't very tall for a SG to begin with.

I think I like PGs more than McDonough. Drafting a PG this past draft made me feel better. After Dragic and Bledsoe there was a huge dropoff at the PG position. IMO, Ish is like a spot duty PG... a 4th PG. Then consider Dragic can play the SG position and Bledsoe has had injury problems and could leave, then looking at PGs makes sense to me. Also I would not be shocked to see Ennis traded. The Suns may have drafted him just for such a reason. I know Toronto was in love with him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I like PGs more than McDonough. Drafting a PG this past draft made me feel better. After Dragic and Bledsoe there was a huge dropoff at the PG position. IMO, Ish is like a spot duty PG... a 4th PG. Then consider Dragic can play the SG position and Bledsoe has had injury problems and could leave, then looking at PGs makes sense to me. Also I would not be shocked to see Ennis traded. The Suns may have drafted him just for such a reason. I know Toronto was in love with him.

Yeah, I'd rather have Ish in the Christmas role, cheerleading from the end of the bench. I thought he was better last year than advertised and played very well on occasion but for the most part we needed an upgrade over him. I don't know that Ennis is that upgrade although clearly Thomas would be. But I doubt he'd be happy as part of a three guard rotation nor would he come in at a reasonable salary. I question the validity of this "report" unless it truly is Bledsoe insurance. And if they knew we were losing Bledsoe, why not draft Payton as your third guard in the first place.

Steve

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
@WojYahooNBA · 6m
Suns pushing to re-sign Channing Frye, sources tell Yahoo. After opting-out of deal, Frye's surveying market, including Cavs, Warriors.

Seriously, WTF? How do yo even make a play for lebron/carmelo then if you're trying to agree with frye. And forget about the extra cap space, i dont want him regardless.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
regardless of what happens, this is good news for us. it means someone HUGE is taking the organization seriously.
Agreed, however, this could be more in regards to Bledsoe than LeBron. I'm sure they use this chance to talk LeBron with his agent and I hope they make the most of it.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Seriously, WTF? How do yo even make a play for lebron/carmelo then if you're trying to agree with frye. And forget about the extra cap space, i dont want him regardless.

Frye and Gordon Hayward! #championship

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I just hope we don't overpay for Frye cause other teams are willing to do so. We really need to move on.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just hope we don't overpay for Frye cause other teams are willing to do so. We really need to move on.

First sentence, yes. Second sentence, undecided.

I think the organization has a good idea what Frye is. If he's the player we saw the first few months, we very much need him back. If he's the player that finished the season, we need to part ways regardless of asking price. If he's the average of the two periods, we probably still need to go a different direction.

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
As if that is any surprise that the Suns want to re-sign Frye it is just a question of price. Dragic and Frye were one of the top performing duos last year in the NBA, acutally #1 I think.

You can bet that James would want to have Frye on this roster too.

And if you believe any twitter stuff than we want to sign

Lebron
Carmelo
Bosh
Hayward
Ariza
Deng
Bazemore
Gasol
Thomas

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although Hayward (24) has never overly impressed me, I understand Hornacek loves him as a player and his versatility due to his height (6'8") to guard multiple positions on defense. I would not be surprised if the Suns offer him a contract difficult for Utah to match or do a sign and trade with them.

I wish the Suns would say no to Frye. The Suns need to get stronger at PF. Also Markieff and Marcus (who plays some PF) are stretch players.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Forget LeBron, can we just sign Tim Howard?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forget Lebron and the soccer player, call Chicago and tell them if they need help to clear room for Melo we'll take on Boozer if they add in Doug McDermott and maybe Anthony Randolph. Or make it a three team deal and get Amir Johnson and a pick coming our way and Randolph and Ennis going to Canada.

I just think our chances of improving long term are best served by being a facilitator this offseason. I know several of us have made this point already so I'm not covering new ground but the Chicago possibilities are intriguing.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forget Lebron and the soccer player, call Chicago and tell them if they need help to clear room for Melo we'll take on Boozer if they add in Doug McDermott and maybe Anthony Randolph. Or make it a three team deal and get Amir Johnson and a pick coming our way and Randolph and Ennis going to Canada.

I just think our chances of improving long term are best served by being a facilitator this offseason. I know several of us have made this point already so I'm not covering new ground but the Chicago possibilities are intriguing.

Steve

I'd do the boozer deal, but i don't see them throwing us Mcdermott. Maybe their PF to sweeten the deal and a pick. i like the boozer deal because it helps us this season, but allows us to have a decent amount of cap room again next season and maybe one more season of actually being good and getting into the playoffs will make us a more legitimate player in FA sweepstakes next off-season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd do the boozer deal, but i don't see them throwing us Mcdermott. Maybe their PF to sweeten the deal and a pick. i like the boozer deal because it helps us this season, but allows us to have a decent amount of cap room again next season and maybe one more season of actually being good and getting into the playoffs will make us a more legitimate player in FA sweepstakes next off-season.

Well, maybe we'd have to go the three team route to make it work. I was thinking Boozer carried more negative value right now but perhaps that's not the case. Regardless, I think it's our turn to get gifts from other front offices. We've got the cap space, hopefully we'll find a way to use it that doesn't include overpaying marginal talent for four years.

Steve

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Well, maybe we'd have to go the three team route to make it work. I was thinking Boozer carried more negative value right now but perhaps that's not the case. Regardless, I think it's our turn to get gifts from other front offices. We've got the cap space, hopefully we'll find a way to use it that doesn't include overpaying marginal talent for four years.

Steve

Well, they can just amnesty Boozer if push comes to shove. They'd still have to pay him, but that might be preferable to giving up a young player they traded two picks for.

That being said, what you are saying is spot on- facilitate trades and use our cap room that way.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gortat just agreed to 5/60 with the Wizards. That really has to hurt Riley, because they need a center more than anything. Every signing like this that Miami cannot make is one step closer to LeBron leaving.

BTW 5 years $60 million, seems about right for Gortat.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gortat just agreed to 5/60 with the Wizards. That really has to hurt Riley, because they need a center more than anything. Every signing like this that Miami cannot make is one step closer to LeBron leaving.

BTW 5 years $60 million, seems about right for Gortat.

Good. If Lowry is swiped off their list next, I don't see what kind of rabbit Riles can pull out of a hat to convince Bron to stay.

Maybe Pau on a two year deal?

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Good. If Lowry is swiped off their list next, I don't see what kind of rabbit Riles can pull out of a hat to convince Bron to stay.

Maybe Pau on a two year deal?

Luol Deng is still out there.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luol Deng is still out there.

I just don't see Deng being that dynamic piece they want. That team needed one of two things (well, really two of two things, IMO...but they're only going to get one. A creator like Lowry to take the burden off Bron or a rim protector/big man like a Gortat.

i don't know...maybe they're able to go out and get a Darren Collison/Pau combo that would round out their starting lineup pretty damn good, but I don't think you could even squeeze both of those guys in a 12 million total.