2014 Suns Free Agency

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
By the way, if the Suns do make a hard charge at LeBron I think they'd have to renounce our Bird Rights on Frye to clear his rather large cap hold.

... not that anyone would really care at that point.

I don't see why that would be a problem. The cap hold to maintain his Bird rights is probably more than what we want to pay him even if we did keep him. Renouncing has no downside.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see why that would be a problem. The cap hold to maintain his Bird rights is probably more than what we want to pay him even if we did keep him. Renouncing has no downside.

I think we see it the same. The Suns yearly salary for Frye (should they re-sign him) should average less than what he was supposed to make this upcoming season before he opted opt.

I'm not a fan of re-signing Frye. I think Spencer Hawes would be a much better investment to spread the floor and he is younger.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we see it the same. The Suns yearly salary for Frye (should they re-sign him) should average less than what he was supposed to make this upcoming season before he opted opt.

I'm not a fan of re-signing Frye. I think Spencer Hawes would be a much better investment to spread the floor and he is younger.

Plus, Spencer Hawes would fit much better with our redneck Arizona reputation. Its a natural. After all he has toilet paper with President Obama's face on it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-...n-it--according-to-evan-turner-020442224.html

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
It appears that the Suns are planning, if all goes well, to sign Bledsoe and Tucker after they've spent their capspace on big name players. I could see that putting one or both of them in a tight spot - suppose someone offers, say, Bledsoe the max early on and gives him a three day window to accept or reject. Of course, if he is content to reject it, things can still proceed as planned but if he is afraid it will be the best offer he will get he'll want to accept it and then we have only limited time, 7 days, IIRC to match - so there goes our grand plan up in smoke.

Heck, if I was a GM that wanted Bled at that price, I'd do exactly that, wouldn't you?

As I understand it any offer he gets the Suns can match even if they exceed the salary cap.

As long as the FA they sign first fit under the cap including the qualifying offer then they can still match the players max salary because they have his Bird rights. Isn't that correct? Or am I missing something?

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As I understand it any offer he gets the Suns can match even if they exceed the salary cap.

As long as the FA they sign first fit under the cap including the qualifying offer then they can still match the players max salary because they have his Bird rights. Isn't that correct? Or am I missing something?

You're right I believe. It will be a thing of timing. They can't sign the offer until the 10th so the Suns will have to get commitments from any free agents during the window and sign them on the 10th so if our restricted get and accept other offers that they sign on the 10th, the Suns will have to match within that 3 days. Maybe it's not so stringent, but at least that's how I have it worked out in my head.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Also Woj reported Davis has been told by Toronto that he will be a UFA.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok, this is weird.

20 min. into free agency and the Suns haven't called to gauge my interest in playing for them next season? Don't they understand that they have no shot at Lebron if I'm not on the team? #FoolishMcD

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, this is weird.

20 min. into free agency and the Suns haven't called to gauge my interest in playing for them next season? Don't they understand that they have no shot at Lebron if I'm not on the team? #FoolishMcD

My phone hasn't rung either. I'm waiting for the Suns to move on from Lebron and company. I'll sign for less than the max. No need to quibble over a few million. :D

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
James is going to hold the rest of the league hostage. I doubt any major activity happens until he makes a decision.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Isaiah Thomas has received interest from the Boston Celtics, Dallas Mavericks, Golden State Warriors, Miami Heat, Detroit Pistons and Phoenix Suns.

Thomas is a restricted free agent, giving the Sacramento Kings the ability to match any offer sheet or execute a sign-and-trade.

Thomas was a second round pick in 2011 out of Washington.

https://twitter.com/mr_jasonjones/status/483840763696934912
This is a joke. McDonough's fetish for PGs is almost worse than Sarver's fetish for brothers.

What the hell are we trying to get all these PGs for? We already drafted a PG in the top 20 when there was clearly no need for one and now we are trying to snag one in free agency too?

Thomas
Bledsoe
Ennis
Dragic
Plumlee

Apparently that's the lineup we're trying to get.

And if its to replace Bledsoe, I would much rather have Lowry than Thomas who has never played a lick of defense his life and is severely undersized to be a guard along with Dragic who isn't very tall for a SG to begin with.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is a joke. McDonough's fetish for PGs is almost worse than Sarver's fetish for brothers.

What the hell are we trying to get all these PGs for? We already drafted a PG in the top 20 when there was clearly no need for one and now we are trying to snag one in free agency too?

Thomas
Bledsoe
Ennis
Dragic
Plumlee

And if its to replace Bledsoe, I would much rather have Lowry than Thomas who has never played a lick of defense his life and is severely undersized to be a guard along with Dragic who isn't very tall for a SG to begin with.

I never trust these types of reports. It's probably fabricated by the player's agent to get his team to resign him.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Thomas
Bledsoe
Ennis
Dragic
Plumlee

Calm down. Perhaps just maybe he's covering all possibilities in case they lose Bledsoe. Just maybe their claim of matching any offer is a bluff and just maybe they aren't interested in paying him the max if he gets that offer. You need 3 point guards. Just because you have 3 on the roster it seems rather silly to believe they would all be starters or on the floor at the same time. Ennis is a rookie and likely won't get many minutes.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Thomas
Bledsoe
Ennis
Dragic
Plumlee

We have the most cash in the league. He is making everyone bid against us everywhere. It's like an auction where you drive up the bid on one item so the other guy doesn't have any money left to bid on the item that you really want.

Also you can bet every agent is telling reporters the Suns are interested even when they aren't. Agents do lie.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't believe the Thomas rumor but if there's any truth to it I'd expect an Ennis trade to Toronto to immediately follow the signing.

Steve

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Calm down. Perhaps just maybe he's covering all possibilities in case they lose Bledsoe. Just maybe their claim of matching any offer is a bluff and just maybe they aren't interested in paying him the max if he gets that offer. You need 3 point guards. Just because you have 3 on the roster it seems rather silly to believe they would all be starters or on the floor at the same time. Ennis is a rookie and likely won't get many minutes.

I'm with having 3 PGs and everything but you realize that with a starting backcourt of a 5'9 PG and a 6'3 SG who are both bad defenders, the Suns will be absolutely terrible and trash for years to come right?

If we need to replace Bledsoe and want to sign another RFA, then do it with Avery Bradley or someone like that, not Thomas.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I'm with having 3 PGs and everything but you realize that with a starting backcourt of a 5'9 PG and a 6'3 SG who are both bad defenders, the Suns will be absolutely terrible and trash for years to come right?

If we need to replace Bledsoe and want to sign another RFA, then do it with Avery Bradley or someone like that, not Thomas.

Yeah lets replace Eric Bledsoe with Avery Bradley, one of the worst guards in the entire league last season and possible THE WORST offensive guard in the entire NBA.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't care if Thomas is 3'6, the better player is still the better player and Isaiah is a much better player than Bradley.

Steve

Errntknght

Reaction score
I did a search for SF's who are first rate rebounders, just in case we don't find a PF to bring in. If we don't bring PJ back we might even lose ground in rebounding. I'm looking for guys that are flying below the radar. The ones I'm listing are all in the upper reaches of offensive efficiency among SFs - which they achieve by being selective with their shots and not turning the ball over much. All of them are in the upper half of SF's on defensive stats, but I'm not claiming they rival PJ on D. None of them shoot 3's to speak of. The stat I'm listing is rebounds per 36.

Jeff Adrien Mil 11.4 6'7 245 lbs... plays PF as well as SF
Jeremy Evens Uta 9.2
Quincy Acy Sac 9.1
Jen Vesely Den 8.9
Al-farouk Aminu Nor 8.8

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
none of these guys would play any minutes for us.

Rebounding small forward is probably our least concern.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score

Thomas
Bledsoe
Ennis
Dragic
Plumlee

They probably listed Phoenix because of Trade rumor w/ Thomas and #8 for Bledsoe, hopefully which never happens.