2014 D'Backs Offseason

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Look, the path you and I prefer is not going to happen. It's not what a GM with a one year contract is interested in and it appears that it's not what ownership is interested in. So, given that they've already started down the path they've chosen. To only go half way and decide not to continue that path is even worse than choosing a philosophy and committing to it. Better to make every possible move to win this year and live or die by it. At least that way ownership has a chance of waking the frack up. They brought KT in to make moves and he has done so, we've ended up with 2 consecutive mediocre ball clubs and I predict a third, but hate it as we do KT is doing his job. The ire really belongs to the big market wannabe jokes of an ownership we have. Maybe the next GM will be smarter and more savvied.

The topic can be debated endlessly... However, I do believe KT/Ownership has made moves and done things that have built a functional, steady contending foundation... Young talent such as Corbin, Miley, DelGado, Goldy, Didi, Owings, Parra, Pollack, Trumbo, Addison, Hernandez, etc...
Unlike top-salary teams, the trick for a team like tr Dbacks is to then make the moves that could augment the young talent in a way that produces more wins. Not gonna get it right all the time... Ross, Bell, McCarthy, Cahill, Kubel... Haven't worked out.
Yet, I see a team that, as I mentioned, possesses a very solid foundation and is a move or two from being a post season contender. Probably not a championship team and certainly, it will be almost impossible to compete with the bid spending Dodgers...
But I think if you compare the team to other similar payroll teams, ownership/KT have done a pretty decent job.
Gonna be interesting to see what happens with Tanaka... Hard to imagine one of the big spenders won't win that bidding war. So, we might have to see if McCarthy can remain in that late season groove he found (long shot), and if Cahill can find a way to be more consistent (another long shot).
Not sure what is realistic for this team in terms if grabbing a true #1 or even a high quality #2 pitcher... There is no way they will part with Bradley and that means Price is out...
We'll see...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The topic can be debated endlessly... However, I do believe KT/Ownership has made moves and done things that have built a functional, steady contending foundation... Young talent such as Corbin, Miley, DelGado, Goldy, Didi, Owings, Parra, Pollack, Trumbo, Addison, Hernandez, etc...
Unlike top-salary teams, the trick for a team like tr Dbacks is to then make the moves that could augment the young talent in a way that produces more wins. Not gonna get it right all the time... Ross, Bell, McCarthy, Cahill, Kubel... Haven't worked out.
Yet, I see a team that, as I mentioned, possesses a very solid foundation and is a move or two from being a post season contender. Probably not a championship team and certainly, it will be almost impossible to compete with the bid spending Dodgers...
But I think if you compare the team to other similar payroll teams, ownership/KT have done a pretty decent job.
Gonna be interesting to see what happens with Tanaka... Hard to imagine one of the big spenders won't win that bidding war. So, we might have to see if McCarthy can remain in that late season groove he found (long shot), and if Cahill can find a way to be more consistent (another long shot).
Not sure what is realistic for this team in terms if grabbing a true #1 or even a high quality #2 pitcher... There is no way they will part with Bradley and that means Price is out...
We'll see...

I don't know why you want to argue with me anymore. KT/ownership have built a mediocre team. That's what the results on the field say. The highlights of the team didn't come from KT. If you're not looking to win WS then you're just screwing around.

All I read is a bunch of superlatives mixed with some bullcrap that would come across the airwaves from any crappy sports talk radio personality who wants to remain in the good graces of the org. I don't see any real analysis or even a complete organizational strategy. Just hopes and wishes.

I ultimately think Phrazbit is right that we needed to find more cheap talent mixed with select superstar contracts. That, of course, means taking time to develop players and risking some rather poor seasons. This organization has had the wrong mentality ever since Eric Byrnes was "face of the franchise". KT is just another symptom of the disease. They'd rather have a consistent 75-85 wins than deal with some 65 win seasons to try and build to 95.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
It is well put together and not surprising it's left uncommented on. I'm sure eventually one of the expected lot will throw some bs attack on him and give a bunch of half assed analysis.

"Breaking Blue"??? Nikolai Ballevski???

C'mon man...

Icee_mann0824

Reaction score
What I think

What I believe we should do is try Pick up a #3-4 spot pitcher for a resnobl trade or from free agent then use Delgado through spring training and if he does ok try him for the 1st month or 2 and see if we can have another Corbin miracle happen. I don't be live we need to pick up a #1-2 spot pitcher because I believe Corbin will be a great 1 spot pitcher and still has great potential to be one of the top pitchers in the MLB next year.

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What I believe we should do is try Pick up a #3-4 spot pitcher for a resnobl trade or from free agent then use Delgado through spring training and if he does ok try him for the 1st month or 2 and see if we can have another Corbin miracle happen. I don't be live we need to pick up a #1-2 spot pitcher because I believe Corbin will be a great 1 spot pitcher and still has great potential to be one of the top pitchers in the MLB next year.

Welcome to the board. Well with rumors ARZ is looking at Garza, Arroyo, Samardjia & Ervin Santana you may get your wish.

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There is speculation that ARZ could look to trade JJ Putz since they have acquired Addison Reed. One of the potential places speculated is MIL as a package for Yovoni Gallardo (which I would be for) depending on ARZ not giving much else up for him. Gallardo is still young, has great stuff and was dominant prior to last season. Duncan could work wonders on him, add that to the fact that he is under a reasonable contract for another couple of years. If we could trade for Gallardo and still get Tanaka or sign Garza then our rotation would be much improved with Corbin, Miley, Gallardo, Garza/Tanaka & one of Delgado/Cahill/McCarthy. ARZ could even be sitting pretty at the deadline with a couple of SP's to deal in McCarthy & Cahill if they are out of contention or need a couple of pieces for a playoff push.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is speculation that ARZ could look to trade JJ Putz since they have acquired Addison Reed. One of the potential places speculated is MIL as a package for Yovoni Gallardo (which I would be for) depending on ARZ not giving much else up for him. Gallardo is still young, has great stuff and was dominant prior to last season. Duncan could work wonders on him, add that to the fact that he is under a reasonable contract for another couple of years. If we could trade for Gallardo and still get Tanaka or sign Garza then our rotation would be much improved with Corbin, Miley, Gallardo, Garza/Tanaka & one of Delgado/Cahill/McCarthy. ARZ could even be sitting pretty at the deadline with a couple of SP's to deal in McCarthy & Cahill if they are out of contention or need a couple of pieces for a playoff push.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...ka-matt-garza-albert-pujols-mike-trout-010414

PUTZ ON THE MOVE?

Don't be surprised if the Diamondbacks trade right-hander J.J. Putz following their addition of former White Sox closer Addison Reed. Putz is signed for $7 million in 2014, and the D-backs most likely would be required to accept a comparable salary in return.

Yankees outfielder Ichiro Suzuki, earning $6.5 million, could be one possibility, though it is not known whether Yankees ownership would part with Suzuki or how he would adjust to a backup role.

Putz also could be part of a trade for a starter such as the Brewers' Yovani Gallardo if the D-backs fall short in other pursuits.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...ka-matt-garza-albert-pujols-mike-trout-010414

PUTZ ON THE MOVE?

Don't be surprised if the Diamondbacks trade right-hander J.J. Putz following their addition of former White Sox closer Addison Reed. Putz is signed for $7 million in 2014, and the D-backs most likely would be required to accept a comparable salary in return.

Yankees outfielder Ichiro Suzuki, earning $6.5 million, could be one possibility, though it is not known whether Yankees ownership would part with Suzuki or how he would adjust to a backup role.

Putz also could be part of a trade for a starter such as the Brewers' Yovani Gallardo if the D-backs fall short in other pursuits.

Ya mean KT actually had a legit plan in acquiring Reed, beyond picking up a solid closer?? Parish the thought!!

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is evidence of a plan? Why the hell do the Dbacks need yet another outfielder? IMO this is just more evidence that KT has basically no plan. He makes moves, creates redundancies on his own roster, sells a redundant part on the cheap, it creates a new redundancy... rinse and repeat.

This is the master planner who cleaned house of low OBP, high strike out players because thats not the team he wants to build... then spent the very next summer doing everything he could to land an even worse low OBP, high strikeout player.

Or how he wants his pitchers to bean more players, and some guys need to do it or they will get moved... but those same pitchers are hard to move according to KT because of their salaries, salaries that KT brought in.

Yep, this guy has a serious plan.

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is evidence of a plan? Why the hell do the Dbacks need yet another outfielder? IMO this is just more evidence that KT has basically no plan. He makes moves, creates redundancies on his own roster, sells a redundant part on the cheap, it creates a new redundancy... rinse and repeat.

This is the master planner who cleaned house of low OBP, high strike out players because thats not the team he wants to build... then spent the very next summer doing everything he could to land an even worse low OBP, high strikeout player.

Or how he wants his pitchers to bean more players, and some guys need to do it or they will get moved... but those same pitchers are hard to move according to KT because of their salaries, salaries that KT brought in.

I think he won't know what his next move is until Tanaka makes his decision. That is the domino that will set everything else into motion. I know Towers wanted an ace but IIRC he was considering adding a couple of SP's this offseason, obviously price could have changed his plans.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If having Ichiro would weigh heavily in Tanaka's thinking then I hardly think the Yankees would be willing to give him up in the first place.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Adding Reed provides the team with the ability to move Putz... That's a plan in my book... :thumbup: