2014 D'Backs Offseason

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
•Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers told Jim Bowden of SiriusXM (on Twitter) that he's in on two of Masahiro Tanaka, Ervin Santana, and Matt Garza.

If he trying not to giver too much away, he lost since we all know the two. Now if means he is looking to bring in two of the three, then I am game for that.

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If he trying not to giver too much away, he lost since we all know the two. Now if means he is looking to bring in two of the three, then I am game for that.

It better be Garza & Tanaka as Santana would cost a draft pick and after the deals that sent away some prospects ARZ is going to need those picks to replenish the farm.

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just saw on ESPN that Tanaka will not be made available this year. So what now? Garza? Santana? Sale?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
We need a starting pitcher!!!

Going into the season with Corbin, Miley, Hot Fudge and McCarthy as our rotation is unacceptable! If Bradley is ready fine but Towers better know.

Don't know if it was intentional or not but he left out Delgado.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb/rumors/post?id=10900

That leaves the trade route for the team, if they are to upgrade their rotation before the start of the season. But with the high cost of a deal being set by the Chicago Cubs for Jeff Samardzija, and the Tampa Bay Rays for David Price, chances are Arizona will stand pat and go into the season with Patrick Corbin, Wade Miley, Trevor Cahill, Brandon McCarthy as their top four starters.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
We need a starting pitcher!!!

Going into the season with Corbin, Miley, Hot Fudge and McCarthy as our rotation is unacceptable! If Bradley is ready fine but Towers better know.

Don't know if it was intentional or not but he left out Delgado.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb/rumors/post?id=10900

It's not like GM's can just blink their eyes and make a deal appear... And in KT's case, it's not like he can simply offer Hot Fudge and/or McCarthy, and receive anything close to a legit starter in return.
It would make zero sense to trade those two and receive similar in return. We need a top of the rotation guy - and in order to get that guy, it will require giving up significantly more than Hot Fudge and McCarthy.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
He and Collmenter were the lone bright spots in the BP. Sounds like a ton of scratch, but I'll live with it.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I like the Ziegler move. Who is the free-agent "ace" that everyone is thinks Towers has the ability to sign?

I say roll the dice with Corbin, Miley, Cahill, McCarthy and Delgado.

McCarthy disappointed last year but part of that was injury and he still posted a 3.75 FIP, he may surprise and pitch 150 innings and have some value. He also may start off hot and be a good trade chip at the deadline.

They owe Cahill $12 million for 2015 so I am not sure any team is going to trade for him with that price tag. He was hurt last year so he shouldn't be as bad as he was.

Miley is solid. Corbin was more than solid last year so there is definitely room for regression.

I think this is a solid rotation and it will be strengthened by the bullpen. I don't expect to win the division but we should be right in the wild card mix.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the Ziegler move. Who is the free-agent "ace" that everyone is thinks Towers has the ability to sign?

I say roll the dice with Corbin, Miley, Cahill, McCarthy and Delgado.

McCarthy disappointed last year but part of that was injury and he still posted a 3.75 FIP, he may surprise and pitch 150 innings and have some value. He also may start off hot and be a good trade chip at the deadline.

They owe Cahill $12 million for 2015 so I am not sure any team is going to trade for him with that price tag. He was hurt last year so he shouldn't be as bad as he was.

Miley is solid. Corbin was more than solid last year so there is definitely room for regression.

I think this is a solid rotation and it will be strengthened by the bullpen. I don't expect to win the division but we should be right in the wild card mix.

At this point, unless we can get Garza on the cheap, I agree.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
What would you consider cheap for Garza?

$12 million per year for 3 years? would he even accept a 3 year deal?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What would you consider cheap for Garza?

$12 million per year for 3 years? would he even accept a 3 year deal?

From what I read he wants 3-4 years and we only want 1-2 years. As far as money, $8-$10 million max. He is not an Ace, but when on can be a solid 2.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Too many holes to fill. Too little extra money to spend. Why sit pat now? The rotation isn't a WS rotation. We throw prospects at changing our closer (both to drop and to pick up) and at a mispositioned power hitter in the hopes of winning a WS this year, right? So why quit now when the job is only partially done? This is how you end up consistently mediocre. You either go ALL in or you go conservative. We certainly haven't been conservative this offseason so it would be foolish to start now.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Too many holes to fill. Too little extra money to spend. Why sit pat now? The rotation isn't a WS rotation. We throw prospects at changing our closer (both to drop and to pick up) and at a mispositioned power hitter in the hopes of winning a WS this year, right? So why quit now when the job is only partially done? This is how you end up consistently mediocre. You either go ALL in or you go conservative. We certainly haven't been conservative this offseason so it would be foolish to start now.

So, what? Trade what's left of our farm system for Price?

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, what? Trade what's left of our farm system for Price?

Look, it's not the strategy I would have chosen, but at least it's consistent. Price would give us a better chance this year than ANY individual or set of prospects would. You don't bet big on the flop and the turn only to check on the river.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Look, it's not the strategy I would have chosen, but at least it's consistent. Price would give us a better chance this year than ANY individual or set of prospects would. You don't bet big on the flop and the turn only to check on the river.

Price also has a high probability of walking in two seasons.

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Price also has a high probability of walking in two seasons.

Well then ARZ should look to Chris Sale or flip Price in a year depending on if they are contenders. I agree that ARZ needs to finish this offseason, Towers came in with 3 needs, he mortgaged some of the future by dealing prospects so he needs to justify doing so by completing his plan for ARZ to contend next year even if it means further depleting the farm to land an ace. If he doesn't like the trade market, Garza is still available for the moment but ARZ should strike before teams begin to focus on Garza as well which will only drive up the price.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really dont like the idea of digging the hole deeper just because Towers is pot committed at this point. If a legit ace were available it might be a different story, but Garza? He is an ace by reputation alone. The guy is a #3 starter on any quality team. And the idea of trading for Price terrifies me. His price in a trade will be enormous and his price when he needs his new contract will be too high for the Dbacks to contend with.

Sustainable success is built through the farm system. I'd rather the team invest 20 mil a year in improving their scouting and player development than to dump it all in one player (along with further depleting the current farm).

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
Sale is the guy Id be most interested in if we can't pick up Tanaka. I know he'd cost us top prospects, likely including Bradley, but he has ace numbers, he's 24 years old and his contract is SUPER team friendly

Sale's contract

$3.5 million in 2014
$6 million in 2015
$9.15 million in 2016
$12 million in 2017
$12.5 million in 2018
$13.5 million in 2019

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really dont like the idea of digging the hole deeper just because Towers is pot committed at this point. If a legit ace were available it might be a different story, but Garza? He is an ace by reputation alone. The guy is a #3 starter on any quality team. And the idea of trading for Price terrifies me. His price in a trade will be enormous and his price when he needs his new contract will be too high for the Dbacks to contend with.

Sustainable success is built through the farm system. I'd rather the team invest 20 mil a year in improving their scouting and player development than to dump it all in one player (along with further depleting the current farm).

Look, the path you and I prefer is not going to happen. It's not what a GM with a one year contract is interested in and it appears that it's not what ownership is interested in. So, given that they've already started down the path they've chosen. To only go half way and decide not to continue that path is even worse than choosing a philosophy and committing to it. Better to make every possible move to win this year and live or die by it. At least that way ownership has a chance of waking the frack up. They brought KT in to make moves and he has done so, we've ended up with 2 consecutive mediocre ball clubs and I predict a third, but hate it as we do KT is doing his job. The ire really belongs to the big market wannabe jokes of an ownership we have. Maybe the next GM will be smarter and more savvied.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its just frustrating. We actually could go after some of these big market free agents and pay them 20 mil a year... if not for that we've stupidly thrown multi year contracts of 6-7-8 million at players who are so obviously mediocre.

McCarthy, Cahill, Ross, Trumbo... those guys are going to make something like 30+ million per year combined over the next few years. And they're all average or below average players, and were such before ever joining our team. Inexcusable mismanagement of assets.