2014 D'Backs Offseason

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Okay, let's talk about what ARZ needs to do this offseason to get back into the playoffs.

Obviously, ARZ needs an Ace as Corbin had a great year but I see him more as a #2. Not much in terms of FA, but rumor has it ARZ is one of three possible destinations for LHP David Price to end up. The question is could ARZ get him without giving up Archie Bradley? I mean would a package of Skaggs, Holmberg, Owings, Pollock, Davidson & Barrett be enough to entice TB?

ARZ also needs a power hitter like everyone needs oxygen. Again not much available in FA. I was hoping ARZ could look to COL and offer a package for Carlos Gonzalez but the COL GM just came out this week saying he will not be trading CarGo or Tulo this offseason. Giancarlo Stanton is a pipe dream so who else is out there? Could Jay Bruce be had from CIN?

Lastly, a couple of more DEPENDABLE bullpen arms would be nice. This is actually one position FA is actually deep in. A couple of guys I hope ARZ looks at are Craig Breslow whom actually is a former D'Back but has been good for BOS this year and Grant Balfour who had an exceptional year for OAK.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Okay, let's talk about what ARZ needs to do this offseason to get back into the playoffs.

Obviously, ARZ needs an Ace as Corbin had a great year but I see him more as a #2. Not much in terms of FA, but rumor has it ARZ is one of three possible destinations for LHP David Price to end up. The question is could ARZ get him without giving up Archie Bradley? I mean would a package of Skaggs, Holmberg, Owings, Pollock, Davidson & Barrett be enough to entice TB?

ARZ also needs a power hitter like everyone needs oxygen. Again not much available in FA. I was hoping ARZ could look to COL and offer a package for Carlos Gonzalez but the COL GM just came out this week saying he will not be trading CarGo or Tulo this offseason. Giancarlo Stanton is a pipe dream so who else is out there? Could Jay Bruce be had from CIN?

Lastly, a couple of more DEPENDABLE bullpen arms would be nice. This is actually one position FA is actually deep in. A couple of guys I hope ARZ looks at are Craig Breslow whom actually is a former D'Back but has been good for BOS this year and Grant Balfour who had an exceptional year for OAK.

That's an insane amount to give for Price.. This organization has been so bad at trading young prospects, I'd cringe.

Tim Lincecum and Jon Lester are both free agents.

Jacoby Ellsbury is a free agent, would be insane if we had him patrolling out in CF. It would also give us some much needed speed on the base paths.

Mark Trumbo's name has been kicked around about a potential trade target, he's played 149 games away from first base, where he's played 299 games. He's got the power bat towers is after.

Cano is set to be a free agent, he'll want over 100mil though.

It's been rumored that the Tigers will be shopping Max Sherzer to pay the rest of their high contract players. Would be nice to get him back.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Also heard around the rumor mill that the Dodgers will look to move Matt Kemp, they will try to get a ton in return from us though being in the west.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Also heard around the rumor mill that the Dodgers will look to move Matt Kemp, they will try to get a ton in return from us though being in the west.

There's no way the Dodgers unload Kemp to a team in the west...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
That's an insane amount to give for Price.. This organization has been so bad at trading young prospects, I'd cringe.

Tim Lincecum and Jon Lester are both free agents.

Jacoby Ellsbury is a free agent, would be insane if we had him patrolling out in CF. It would also give us some much needed speed on the base paths.

Mark Trumbo's name has been kicked around about a potential trade target, he's played 149 games away from first base, where he's played 299 games. He's got the power bat towers is after.

It's been rumored that the Tigers will be shopping Max Sherzer to pay the rest of their high contract players. Would be nice to get him back.

We have Eaton in CF... I would rather see Ellsbury though as I don't believe Eaton is an everyday CF in the bigs.
Cano doesn't want 100 million... Not when he's gonna get well over 200 million!

I would rather have Lester than Lincicum. Though, Lester is not a #1 Ace...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
If Price would cost us Bradley, I'd pass. Of we could get him for Skaggs, holmburg, Owings etc, I'd be on board for that.

A 1, 2, 3, 4 of ...

David Price
Patrick Corbin
Wade Miley
Archie Bradley

Is a championship rotation with Delgado, Cahill and McCarthy to fill the 5 spot.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score

Obviously, ARZ needs an Ace as Corbin had a great year but I see him more as a #2. Not much in terms of FA, but rumor has it ARZ is one of three possible destinations for LHP David Price to end up. The question is could ARZ get him without giving up Archie Bradley?

Not a chance unfortunately. Consider this.. Tampa got Wil Myers for James Shields. Price is a younger and BETTER pitcher than Shields. They'll ask for Bradley as the first piece.

I mean would a package of Skaggs, Holmberg, Owings, Pollock, Davidson & Barrett be enough to entice TB?

Plausibly, but I wouldn't count on it. Take Skaggs out, put Bradley in and they might.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score

Add a couple hundred mill to that bud. He's wanting 300 mill over 10 years. Will anyone give it to him? Hard to say. I'd lean towards no, but he's going nowhere for under 200 mill IMO.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
The Giants pretty much set the tempo for this off-season when they re-signed Hunter Pence to that absurd contract extension. Pence is a nice player, don't get me wrong.. However, is he worth $18 million a season? I'd lean towards no. What this contract did is drove up the asking price for the available free agents and teams considering trading their big bats/arms.

We'll use David Price as the prime example, since he seems to be the big name available this off-season. In order to get him, you're going to have to at WORST match an offer comparable to what they got for Shields. As I see it, we're looking at a top 20 prospect (in all of baseball), plus a handful of more top organizational prospects in order for Tampa to blink. As mentioned above, with apologies to Skaggs, if Bradley isn't involved, the deal isn't even getting off the ground room floor.

Bat wise, it's going to be the same thing. Ellsbury is a nice player, but after seeing Pence get $18 mill a season, it's not unreasonable to expect his agent is going to ask for similar money per season. Same goes for Shin-Soo-Choo, who I can easily see asking for and getting $19-$20 mill a season (Boras is his agent.. Think it's far fetched? So was Pence getting $18). With his history of hitting for a high OBP and fairly respectable pop, I don't think it's unrealistic to expect Boras is going to ask... Sad thing is, some team like Texas who is in dire need of more bats, might just give it to him. Ignoring the "big fish" of this free agency (Cano), because there's no point in even beginning to speculate him coming to Arizona for what he's asking for, the other big bat in free agency that is a "known commodity" is Kendrys Morales. Nice player, I'd certainly like the bat, but can he play one of the corner OF spots? He's been a DH/1B his entire career. Too late in the game to shift him to 3rd, thus the questions as to whether he'd be able to shift to the OF comes to life.

Honestly speaking, if Arizona's going after bats this off-season, I'd rather see them dip in to the international market and go after someone like Alexander Guerrero (yes, I know he's a SS/2B, but he's also capable of playing 3B, has in the past. Same goes for Jose Daniel Abreu, who can shift to the OF.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a chance unfortunately. Consider this.. Tampa got Wil Myers for James Shields. Price is a younger and BETTER pitcher than Shields. They'll ask for Bradley as the first piece.

Plausibly, but I wouldn't count on it. Take Skaggs out, put Bradley in and they might.

OK, now I know you are just trying to be funny. Bradley can be our ace as soon as next year and you want to trade him for someone that is about to get paid, BIG TIME? With our budget, that is crazy talk.

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
OK, now I know you are just trying to be funny. Bradley can be our ace as soon as next year and you want to trade him for someone that is about to get paid, BIG TIME? With our budget, that is crazy talk.

We'd have Price for two years at a decent number, after that he'll go sign somewhere for big dough.

As much as I'd love to see price here, without a power bat, I still think we'll fall short. There's no way we have the chips to deal for both David Price and a bat. Considering that, I'd rather stick with....

Corbin
Miley
Bradley
Skaggs
Delgado (Cahill/McCarthy)

And look for a power bat in FA/Trade. I'm still holding out a shred of hope that Davidson can be that power bat

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We'd have Price for two years at a decent number, after that he'll go sign somewhere for big dough.

As much as I'd love to see price here, without a power bat, I still think we'll fall short. There's no way we have the chips to deal for both David Price and a bat. Considering that, I'd rather stick with....

Corbin
Miley
Bradley
Skaggs

And look for a power bat in FA/Trade. I'm still holding out a shred of hope that Davidson can be that power bat

Agree 100%

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score

Corbin
Miley
Bradley
Skaggs

I believe 4 of those starters have a 2014 salary of 2 mil (500K each). Not sure what Bradley would make (my dial up is slow, lol), but that would be an inexpensive starting lineup and maybe help us find another bat.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score

Go through my post again and point out where I said I WANTED Arizona to make a move like this? Name me ONE indication on the post you quoted where I said "Arizona needs to do this move and I want them to." And just because I said Price is better than Shields isn't an indicator that I favor the move. As a matter of fact, I was pretty clear in another post that I don't want Arizona going for a "home run" this off season and overpaying. That doesn't just include money.

What I SAID was Tampa is going to want the Kings Ransom for Price. They got a massive haul for a lesser pitcher last off season and are going to want more for Price. That "more" they are going to ask for will almost assuredly include Archie Bradley. There is a difference between speaking realistic in terms of asking price ans being in favor of realism.

Last edited:

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score

Corbin
Miley
Bradley
Skaggs

Contrary to what was stressed above from some reading into my post, I don't want David Price for these very reasons. Tampa isn't trading him for anything short of a King's ransom; and in two years when he becomes a free agent, at worst he's going to want Greinke money, which is far out of the realm of what Arizona is going to pay.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Jurecki was talking about trading for Price on the radio this afternoon. I really think the cost of prospects will be too high. That said, if the Marlins would be willing to give up Giancarlo Stanton, I would think about parting with Bradley or any player on our team not named Goldschmidt.

Ellsbury would be nice in centerfield and batting leadoff but he is a Boras client and will probably be going to another team who can afford to overpay him. My guess is Texas if Boston does not re-sign him.

Trumbo has pop but his average and on base percentage are atrocious.

If mgmt really feels the need to bring in a pitcher, I say take a shot with a one year deal for Josh Johnson. He has some injury baggage but he also has the talent to be a number one pitcher.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No way I'd trade Bradley for Stanton. Bradley has top of the rotation potential, Stanton is a career .265 hitter, with pop... along with injuries. If we shipped off Upton for beans and then traded a monster prospect for Upton II in Stanton... I might go ballistic.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way I'd trade Bradley for Stanton. Bradley has top of the rotation potential, Stanton is a career .265 hitter, with pop... along with injuries. If we shipped off Upton for beans and then traded a monster prospect for Upton II in Stanton... I might go ballistic.

Agreed

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I never actually wanted them to trade Upton. I can see your point though, however, I would prefer trading the potential of Bradley for a proven power hitter.

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
ARZ needs an Ace, slugger and bullpen. Names like Price, Sale & Samardjia will be mentioned but as many pointed out ARZ cannot pay the going rate for Aces these days which sucks that we don't big pocket owners like the Dodgers.

So more than likely we will see Bradley, Skaggs, Davidson & Owings as the big additions to the big league roster. I have no problem with that as long as ARZ makes the commitment of keeping them up in the bigs instead of shuffling them back and forth between Reno & Arizona throughout the season. Also, they need to get rid of Cahill & McCarthy in order to accommodate Bradley and Skaggs. Cahill will most likely need to be DFA while McCarthy could bring suitors as he is in the last year of his current deal that pays him $10M but that is pretty much what the going rate for a veteran SP is these days.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Hearing Matty Williams is the front-runner for the manager position with the Nationals... That would mean we will have lost Baylor, Nagy, Sax (who cares), and Williams... Interesting...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
ARZ needs an Ace, slugger and bullpen. Names like Price, Sale & Samardjia will be mentioned but as many pointed out ARZ cannot pay the going rate for Aces these days which sucks that we don't big pocket owners like the Dodgers.

So more than likely we will see Bradley, Skaggs, Davidson & Owings as the big additions to the big league roster. I have no problem with that as long as ARZ makes the commitment of keeping them up in the bigs instead of shuffling them back and forth between Reno & Arizona throughout the season. Also, they need to get rid of Cahill & McCarthy in order to accommodate Bradley and Skaggs. Cahill will most likely need to be DFA while McCarthy could bring suitors as he is in the last year of his current deal that pays him $10M but that is pretty much what the going rate for a veteran SP is these days.

Samardjia is an ace? :shock:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hearing Matty Williams is the front-runner for the manager position with the Nationals... That would mean we will have lost Baylor, Nagy, Sax (who cares), and Williams... Interesting...

Please let them hire Williams!!

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Only 2 more to go....Towers & Gibson. I really believe ARZ really should have gave Mark Rizzo the GM job before he bolted to WAS. ARZ's talent scouts and management have really gone down the tubes since he left IMHO.

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Samardjia is an ace? :shock:

Many feel he is, especially since most baseball analysts feel it would cost a significant package of prospects to get him from CHI. I personally would not go after him as he is going to be 29 in a couple of months, has a sub .500 W-L record, a career ERA of 4.19. People focus on the fact that he had 200+ K's this year and made 33 starts and pitched over 200+ innings. I feel that doesn't make him an Ace, maybe a solid #2 at best.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard