2014 D'Backs Offseason

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Trade out "clubhouse cancer" Eaton yet sign Matt Garza? Ok.

The narrative changes season by season - from grinders to sluggers, from developing our young guys and being patient to offering Beltran 48 mil for 3 years.

Having a GM and FO who's mission is dependent on their contract status is a really bad thing, obviously.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
How can a guy as fast as Eaton be such a lousy base stealer?
Of course he looks like Little Ricky compared to Parra.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
The way KT is handling the team is also an example of why having GMs on lame duck contracts is a terrible idea. The farm system is getting cleaned out as he feels he needs to "win now". Rather than attempt to build a sustainable roster he is mortgaging the future to try and preserve his job.

KT should have been fired at the end of last season when his grand vision of "grit" failed. Letting him stick around and change his philosophy on the fly is going to cause long term damage that will take years to repair after he is fired.

It's like compensating your CEO with stock options, instead of stock. At this point, they'll make any decision that increases their short-term prospects of cashing out, even if it means sacrificing a long-term future of prosperity.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Serious question, is there character issues with Garza? If so, I had not heard that before and would prefer to stay away then.

I know he went on a sexist twitter rant, outside of that the only indication is that he has been dumped by 4 teams in his brief career... which is not a good sign.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know he went on a sexist twitter rant, outside of that the only indication is that he has been dumped by 4 teams in his brief career... which is not a good sign.

Dumped? Really?

Twins traded him for Delmon Young, who they thought was a corner stone OF and had just won rookie of the year. Garza was the prize in that. Tampa,did what they always do, traded him right before he would make real money. The Cubs, mixed with the realization they are not ready to content and concearned with his arm traded him to Texas jsut four months ago and now he is a FA. If that means four teams dumped him, Randy Johnson was dumped five times in his career.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dumped? Really?

Twins traded him for Delmon Young, who they thought was a corner stone OF and had just won rookie of the year. Garza was the prize in that. Tampa,did what they always do, traded him right before he would make real money. The Cubs, mixed with the realization they are not ready to content and concearned with his arm traded him to Texas jsut four months ago and now he is a FA. If that means four teams dumped him, Randy Johnson was dumped five times in his career.

Garza is so sought after that THREE teams traded for him!! :D

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe "dumped" is too strong a characterization, but that Garza has spent a large portion of his career being shopped by the teams who have him is not a great sign.

Like I said earlier, if he gets signed for the type of money a #3 pitcher deserves then I'd be fine with it. But the idea that he is an ace is totally unfounded, and if he gets ace money then it will be a serious mistake.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe "dumped" is too strong a characterization, but that Garza has spent a large portion of his career being shopped by the teams who have him is not a great sign.

Like I said earlier, if he gets signed for the type of money a #3 pitcher deserves then I'd be fine with it. But the idea that he is an ace is totally unfounded, and if he gets ace money then it will be a serious mistake.

Fair enough and I agree, he is not an ace. I would not even give him more than a 1 year deal, but someone will.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Someone needs to frame this famous quote of Bill Veeck and hang it in KT's office...

"It isn't the high price of stars that is expensive, it's the high price of mediocrity."

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hudson resigned to a minor league deal and Henry Blanco signed to complete to backup Miggy.

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wait a minute, weren't they condifering Blanco for a bullpen job. Now he's the backup for Montero. Sorry he may be good with the staff but he's far too old to be playing.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Wait a minute, weren't they condifering Blanco for a bullpen job. Now he's the backup for Montero. Sorry he may be good with the staff but he's far too old to be playing.

Blanco was signed to a minor league contract... He's not been named the back up. I would bet he won't be able to win the back up job...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I said complete. The last three to four years we have brought in several catcher to compete for the backup spot. Nothing mew.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is it a one year deal? If so I think it could be good. We'll see how many PAs he can get though.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it a one year deal? If so I think it could be good. We'll see how many PAs he can get though.

One year deal.

Good back-up for Prado at third, Goldie at first, DH at AL cities

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Nobody has mentioned Hill much. He was tearing it up for the first couple of months last season. Its no coincidence that the team slumped when he got the broken hand.

With Trumbo, Goldie and Hill in the middle of the lineup the Dbacks should be able to score a lot of runs. I also predict Prado will pick up where he left off. I think his early season struggles were the result of pressing due to trade expectations etc. Once he settled into a role he was awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard