Possible Trade Targets

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So knowing what this team needs, here are some trade candidates available that ARZ should be interested in:

SP Corbin Burns - Availability is in the air with MIL playing well but he isn't likely to stay in MIL once he becomes a FA next year. Boras client, looming free agency and high cost of prospects turns me off.

SP Shane Bieber - Definitely available as CLE looks like they will have a hard time winning a wild card berth and they could get a nice haul for him a year and a half away from FA. I prefer him over Burns but his velocity, K/9 & K/BB ratios are career lows this year despite a respectable 3.29 ERA so prospect package should be more reasonable than a Burns package.

SP - Lucas Golito - Not an ace like Bieber or Burns but would slot in as #3 SP behind Gallen & Kelly and should add much needed stability to rotation.

CL - Emmanuel Clase - Will cost a lot in terms of prospects due to age and controllability. Arguably would be best closer on market.

CL - Alexis Diaz - Like Clase, prospect package will be significant. Also like Clase, will long term option as closer due to controllability.

CL - Aroldis Chapman - Oldest option of the bunch and not a full time closer anymore but still a very good reliever. Should not cost much in terms of prospects and is a FA at the end of the year.

Untouchables being Carroll, Lawler, Jones & Walston, I would be okay with dealing anyone else for Bieber and Clase or Diaz. I would also acquire Chapman to be set up man to Clase / Diaz.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Will MIL part ways with Burns in the middle of a playoff race?

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Will MIL part ways with Burns in the middle of a playoff race?
That's their dilemma, get a huge package for him now which may contain a MLB ready prospect or keep him and take their chances this season. The package would be less at end of year because he is a FA after next season and his relationship with MIL is deteriorating to the point of no return plus as a Boras client he is likely gone after next year.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Dbacks hopefully will target Scott Barlow who has at least 2 years of control remaining. I have been curious about Melancon for some reason. True, he was very horrid for the Dbacks last year, bur there is a chance he might soon be available and what if he manages to bounce back? One option I know a few may scoff at is Rich Hill. True, he is 43 but still is very effective and might come cheap. Most of Hazens deadline trades to add veteran talent involved lower level International signings, so something to monitor.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The decision to sit on their hands while the bullpen continues to blow huge situation game after game is death by 1000 cuts. It's just absurd that a team that had everything go right isn't bending over backward to get an actual adult at the position.

Hazen has been absolutely horrid at finding anyone of value in the closer role, and it's taking all the wind out of the sails with the current group.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am starting to be of the opinion that the DBacks need to add only if they can get a Zac Gallen for Chisolm type deal. Maybe a fringe relic guy for a low level prospect but I wouldn’t trade away any of our best prospects for a one year or even 1.5 year guy.

It’s probably an unpopular opinion but I am thinking we should just roll with who we have and continue to develop the young guys like Nelson/Henry/Jameson/Pffadt / Walston/Martinez/ and even a guy like Vargas.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I am starting to be of the opinion that the DBacks need to add only if they can get a Zac Gallen for Chisolm type deal. Maybe a fringe relic guy for a low level prospect but I wouldn’t trade away any of our best prospects for a one year or even 1.5 year guy.

It’s probably an unpopular opinion but I am thinking we should just roll with who we have and continue to develop the young guys like Nelson/Henry/Jameson/Pffadt / Walston/Martinez/ and even a guy like Vargas.
I think the D'Backs could afford to lose 1 or 2 of their top 20 prospects, with no issues for the future. They have several OF and SS/2nd types, that may be redundant for the next few years.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think the D'Backs could afford to lose 1 or 2 of their top 20 prospects, with no issues for the future. They have several OF and SS/2nd types, that may be redundant for the next few years.

Lawlar is the only untouchable. The Snakes can’t be too conservative with prospects if they want to win during Gallen’s stay. Kelly is also in his mid-30’s.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
IDK, If you think back to before the season started, EVERY Dback coach, on air talent, the owner, literally everyone in the organization was urging fans to be patient with this team. The organization clearly thought we would be one of the weaker teams in baseball. We are now building a chemistry with guys, working younger pieces up to the big league team. I think we should be patient. We are CLEARLY way over expectations. I know fans want to get greedy and go for a championship, but in reality, are we a team like a Houston that's built for a Championship? I am thinking we need to build on this season as a foundation and continue building through our farm system. I've enjoyed watching the young pitchers, the Gabriel Moreno's surprise us. I am like @outcent13 and want us to build more. Be patient like they said at the start of the season.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
IDK, If you think back to before the season started, EVERY Dback coach, on air talent, the owner, literally everyone in the organization was urging fans to be patient with this team. The organization clearly thought we would be one of the weaker teams in baseball. We are now building a chemistry with guys, working younger pieces up to the big league team. I think we should be patient. We are CLEARLY way over expectations. I know fans want to get greedy and go for a championship, but in reality, are we a team like a Houston that's built for a Championship? I am thinking we need to build on this season as a foundation and continue building through our farm system. I've enjoyed watching the young pitchers, the Gabriel Moreno's surprise us. I am like @outcent13 and want us to build more. Be patient like they said at the start of the season.
They have expendable pieces in the minors that can help them push forward now, while not screwing up the development and chemistry of the youngsters on the MLB roster.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
To further it....they don't need an explosive bat or top of the line starter to propel the team. They need a dependable back of the rotation starter and closer. They shouldn't have to mortgage the future to do that. I'd like to see them move Davies to the pen as long relief, since he's usually ok 1 or 2 times through a batting order, but anymore than that he gets shelled.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Like walkers defense but his bat is cold, but that could be said for a few players right now. Never mind the pitching

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Here are my feelings on current rumored targets:
Mitch Kellar - Controllable but has been getting shelled the past couple of weeks and has had a subpar career so far that I wouldn't feel good about giving up a couple of top prospects for.

David Bednar - Two time All Star but really reluctant on the asking price which I am sure PIT is asking for one of our Big 3 (Lawler, Jones, Pfaadt) and others in our Top 10. If I am giving up a big package it has better be for either Alexis Diaz or Emmanuel Clase.

DET Rotation (E Rod & Lorenzen) - E Rod is a rental make no mistake, he most likely will opt out of his deal in pursuit of a bigger one but unfortunately DET make be asking for a big package any way. Lorenzen is intriguing but also a rental.

Alex Lange - I would think he would be more reasonable in terms of a prospect package but in reality DET could be asking for a lot given he is under club control for the next few years.

Jordan Montgomery - Rental but would be a solid #3 in ARZ rotation.

Jordan Hicks - Young and could provide stability to bullpen. Has 8 saves for STL.

Jake Burger - Power for days but hitting .218 on the year, high K/BB ratio.

Bottom line, most of these guys are rentals who I wouldn't be willing to part with top level prospects for especially since we would need a couple of these guys if we want to make a serious run into October.

I would be okay with just selling off guys like Gurriel, Walker and anyone who is not going to be part of this teams future and look at some veteran FA guys above like Montgomery & Eduardo Rodriguez and make a serious effort to build bullpen instead of signing castoffs that throw hard.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson