2010 Cardinals: Training Camp Competitions With Roster Ramifications

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
1. QB: Right now Matt Leinart is the clear favorite. He knows the system and is looking more accurate in practice. The question is: what will Leinart look like when chin straps are buckled and the hitting starts?

What gives Derek Anderson a fighting chance is having the stronger arm...but, most of all, having the grit and ruggedness to stand in the pocket and wait for the precise moment to let er loose.

This is a team that is putting more and more of a premium on toughness...both mental and physcial toughness. If Leinart falters in this area, he will lose the job to Anderson. It's as simple as that.

But, this is where a veteran tough guy in Alan Faneca can make such a great impact. Leinart can feed off this guy and if he does, Leinart could be the prime time player we've been hoping to see.

2. #4 RB Jason Wright. With roster spots getting more and more competitive, Jason Wright is going to have to prove his worth on STs and as a role payer in the offense. Wright made some positive contributions last year. He was solid on STs...not special, however. And his nifty couple of runs off slip screens were a bonus...but this year he is going to have to be special on STs to stick.

3. FB: Nehemiah Broughton brings the whole package. He's a solid blocker, good strong inside runner and surprisingly effective receiver out of the backfield. But, Broughton lacks experience and is relatively unproven. He will be pushed by Charles Ali, who may be a stronger blocker, but not quite as versatile as Broughton. It may come down to which player is better on STs. Reagan Maui'a is a wild card with his brute strength...and if he shows explosion on his blocks and an ability to tackle on STs, he could surprise.

4. #5 WR: The first four are set in Larry Fitzgerald, Steve Breaston, Early Doucet and Andre Roberts. What should be one of the more intriguing comeptitions is the one for the #5 WR spot. The early favorite is Onrea Jones, whom Whiz has lauded during the OTAs. Jones has played well in pre-season games...he's got decent size (6-0, 202), body control and strength. He has good hands and runs solid routes. The questions are his speed and his STs ability. Jones is a possession WR...the problem is, so are Breaston, Doucet and Roberts. Thus, the players to keep an eye on here are Darren Mougey (6-6, 230) and Stephen Williams (6-5, 200). Whiz loves to have another big target WR to go with Fitz, which is why Whiz had high hopes for Jerheme Urban. Both Mougey and Williams are good athletes...Mougey is strong and Williams has sneaky speed and can go up and get balls in a crowd.

Whomever wins the #5 WR won't necessarily have to be a STs player because more than likely the #5 WR won't be activated on game days...what this means is the team would likely keep the player with the best all-around talent...one who is a good compliment to the other WRs.

RG: The question is: will Deuce Lutui's holdout cost him his starting job? The coaches were critical of Reggie Wells' overall performance last year. Wells has better feet than Lutui, but not nearly as much pop. Rex Hadnot likely has a better chance to start than Wells in that Hadnot is a mauler and Wells is not. However, if Lutui come in in great shape and picks up where he left off last year, he will retain the job. If Lutui arrives overweight and starts playing inconsistently again, he's toast.

TE: It would seem that Ben Patrick and Anthony Becht are set. The competition for the #3 TE come down to Stephen Spach, Dominique Byrd and 7th round pick Jim Dray. It would seem logical that the team would try to designate Dray as a PS member this year, so in all reality it's a battle between Spach and Bryd. If Whiz threw more to the TEs, Byrd would have a better chance...but maybe with Leinart, the team will try to throw to the TEs more and he seems to have good chemistry with his old Trojan teammate. Yet, Spach, no question, is a Whiz favorite...in fact, Spach likely reminds Whiz a little of himself...not a great athlete per se, but a tough comeptitor who beats the odds through diligence and perseverance. The problem is Spach really hurt the team last year with penalties, and his overall play was not very good. He was setback by his knee injury, no question. Spach will need to to erase those deficiencies, no matter how much Whiz is pulling for him.

NT: Like Bryan Robinson said, if Dan Williams isn't beating him out, "he's not doing his job." Williams will beat Robinson out. Williams is the better athlete, he's much stronger and he is a far better fit at the position. The question is: what happens with Robinson and Gabe Watson? Ideally, because Robinson is near retirement, the Cardinals would like to hold on to Watson as their backup NT for the next few years. Watson made some strides last year and continues to work hard and play solidly in sub situations. Can the Cardinals afford to keep 3 NTs? Robinson is versatile and can also play 34DE...but the backups there are Kenny Iwebema and Alan Branch. As much as the Cardinals love Robinson's leadership, it looks like, barring injuries or a trade involving Watson, he is going to have a hard time sticking.

SILB: Gerald Hayes, no matter what he says, is a question mark, not just for his ailing back, but for his erratic play the past couple of years. In light of these factors, Reggie Walker will be given an opportunity to unseat him as the starter. This should be interesting to watch. Walker is a textbook tackler and has shown good instincts at the point of attack in his limited play there in goalline situations. The question will be whether he can display the range and covering ability that would make him a bona fide starter at the position. Monty Beisel, unless he shows considerable improvement, won't be anything more than a STs player and versatile backup, if he even makes the team. There may and probably should be another addition to the mix here. It would be great if the Cardinals coud find a way to trade for the Browns' D'Qwell Jackson, who is disgruntled and wants a new contract. Thus far, there's been no talk of interest on the Cardinals' part. But that could change especially if Hayes continues to ail and/or struggle.

WILB: Paris Lenon will keep the seat warm until Daryl Washington is ready. Washington, to start with, will be in the nickel and dime packages. Lenon will be a high effort player...but Washington's talent will be so obvious that it wouldn't be surprisng if Washington wins the starting job early. If that's indeed the case, don't count out Ali Highsmith for a roster spot. If Lenon is not the starter and Highsmith has shown strong improvement and remains one of the team's better STs players, Highsmith may get the nod over Lenon.

OLB: The most exciting competition may be for the #3, #4 and #5 OLB positions where Cody Brown, Will Davis, Stevie Baggs, Mark Washington and O'Brien Schofield will be trying to emerge as young up-and-coming playmakers. Even though Schofield is still rehabbing his knee and will need more time, this is a kid who is so motivated to play and turn heads that we may be seeing him in action by Week 3 of the pre-season. Schofield may have the most natural talent of the group. Cody Brown is healthy now and stronger. Can he show a burst off that back edge? Will Davis has already shown promise and flashes of excellence in games. Baggs wasn't the CFL sacks leader by chance. He's driven to excel. And Washington is a superb athlete who may be the most versatile of the group.

CB: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Greg Toler are the starters...Trumaine McBride, Michael Adams and Justin Miller are the backups, and McBride and Adams are the nickels and dimers. Miller is going to team with LSH to form a dynamic kickoff return tandem. Jorrick Clavin, Marshay Green and A.J. Jefferson will try to earn their way onto the roster...but all three will likely start the year on the PS.

S: The Cardinals will likely keep five safeties, especially because of the multiple safety looks they will throw at defenses. The quintet looks to be Adrian Wilson, Kerry Rhodes, Rashad Johnson, Matt Ware and Hamza Abdullah...although when the hitting starts look for Herana-Daze Jones to challenge Hamza Abdullah for that 5th spot in what should be one of the greatest challenges of exotic names in Cardinals' history! Jones is a better tackler (Abdullah arrives quickly but lacks fundamentals and doesn't finish well---if he improves this, he'll be a lock for the roster---he's already shown improvement in coverage in the OTAs) and Jones is a very good STs player.

Wild Cards (Possible surprise scenarios):

1. Reggie Wells getting into the mix at tackle.

2. Herman Johnson making a run at the RG spot.

3. Alfonso Smith---with his 4.3 speed---making a run for the roster at RB and STs speedster.

4. The Sheik--DT Dean Muhtada---"scraping and clawing" his way to a roster spot, as John Lott has forecasted.

Stay thirsty my friends!

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Interesting reading as always Mitch.

The part of me who found reasons to love the early 2000's rosters is salivating.
I'll be pulling for heart and guts guys like Robinson, Muhtada, and Highsmith, who're most likely over-matched at this level.
But the larger part of me has been spoiled by results and if they don't make the squad I'll hope that there's a system in place that will mean the team is stronger without them.

None of this year's rookies will contribute until mid-late season.
This the Whisenhunt way. Expect Watson to get a bulk of reg season work with a smattering of Williams.
The wild card for me is Brown. Once he gets his legs under him, we may know quite quickly what he brings to the team.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice write up as always Mitch. I for one am petrified at what we are counting on at ILB. Hayes when healthy is fine and our success against the run counted on him being healthy. He is a warrior who will play hurt but that will do us no good unless that back of his heals.

Reggie Walker starting is a huge stretch. As for Paris Lenon? I hope Daryl Washington is ready quick because Lenon is horrible.

I fear the niners and Gore having big days against this group of backers. I really hope I am wrong.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nice write up as always Mitch. I for one am petrified at what we are counting on at ILB. Hayes when healthy is fine and our success against the run counted on him being healthy. He is a warrior who will play hurt but that will do us no good unless that back of his heals.

Reggie Walker starting is a huge stretch. As for Paris Lenon? I hope Daryl Washington is ready quick because Lenon is horrible.

I fear the niners and Gore having big days against this group of backers. I really hope I am wrong.

They gotta get past our front 3 first.

I think the Williams/Watson/Robinson area is most interesting, because I think Whiz will want to keep them all, but I am not sure how that is justifiable.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Urban in his recent blog or twitter forget which stated to someone that the top 43-45 player are already pretty much set in stone minus injuries or something drastic happening of course. I tend to agree. With in mind I think the OL and DL groups are already set, their might be some competetition going on for starting spots and more playing time of course but the group of guys to fill out the depth chart are set IMO. Everyone one else is fighting for PS duty.

Keeping in tune with Urbans virtual lock theory, these are the guys that are virtual locks -

Sendlein, Lyle C
Hadnot, Rex G/C
Faneca, Alan G
Lutui, Deuce G
Wells, Reggie G/T
Johnson, Herman G/T
Bridges, Jeremy T
Brown, Levi T
Keith, Brandon T
Robinson, Bryan DL
Williams, Dan NT
Watson, Gabe NT
Branch, Alan DL
Dockett, Darnell DE
Campbell, Calais DE
Iwebema, Kenny DE

With these guys just fighting for PS duty of which I think will be pretty heated and interesting to watch -

Claxton, Ben C
Moosman, David C (odds on favorite if he acclimates to Lotts program and he starts to gain much needed weight)
Palmer, Jonathan G
Pestock, Tom G/T
Knips, Casey T
Tyler, Devin T

Clark, Jeremy DE
Kees, Ryan DE
Muhtadi, Dean DE/DT (odds on favorite since he has already acclimated himself to the program, seemingly more so then the others)
Dykes, Keilen DT

FB position will be interesting to watch with Broughton as the current odds on favorite. TE position beside Patrick will also be interesting with Becht having the odds to win one of the jobs. Jason Wright probably ha a job if they keep 4 RB's again this year because when you look for bottom of the depth chart guys and spots are so valuable you look for versatility and Wright is verstile having played RB, FB, and good ST's last year. At this point anyone can come out and win the nickel, dime and 5th CB spot. I don't think even the coaches know at this point, coaches gave 4 different guys a look at the starting spot opposite of DRC in OTA's, and who knows what the two rookies bring to the table with pads on so they could be in the mix as well. So that will be an interesting story line to watch as well.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Jason Wright makes the team. Of that I'm certain. He's what Marcel Shipp was supposed to be (for better and worse).

Honestly, this team is too good at this point to spend a lot of time concerned about who's the 7th/8th OL or the DT that is on the outside looking in. Those guys are generally not going to be playing special teams, and so they're on the bubble for the roster unless they can unseat one of the 1-5 round draft picks on the roster or an established veteran.

The biggest issue that is going to be the story in camp is who will be the 3rd, 4th, and 5th CB/DB. Man, that group sucks. Maybe we trust that Donnie Henderson is going to develop a no-name or two in his first season, but did he bring in anyone familiar with his program? Looking at our cornerback depth chart just makes me sick. Sicker than when I look at ILB.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Jason Wright makes the team. Of that I'm certain. He's what Marcel Shipp was supposed to be (for better and worse).

You lost me here. Shipp worked his way up and become the #1 guy at RB and was that guy for a few seasons IIRC. Wright wasn't brought in to become the #1 guy at some point in the future was he? Please clarify what you meant above.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Great workup Mitch-----I can't hardly wait for TC to start, because this is going to be a special one. The competition will be brutal unless I miss my guess. I look for us to emerge VERY strong and tough, both mentally and physically.

My biggest concerns are at SILB, where I hope that we either pick up a decent player after cuts, or can make a trade for one, (maybe using one of our extra OLB's, or WR's for trade bait).

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some interesting observations on the challenges in camp, Mitch. I'm not high on CB Justin Miller and have doubts on him making the team. Of course, they are weak on CB so anything can happen. Additionally, I see Andre Roberts being the PR guy with LSH handling the KRs. When they drafted Roberts they indicated that he was to take over the punt return duties from Breaston. But they did pick up several players that could help on the "returns" so that should be open competition in camp and the preseason games.

It will be fun to watch the competition. Again, thanks for the excellent writeup, Mitch.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You lost me here. Shipp worked his way up and become the #1 guy at RB and was that guy for a few seasons IIRC. Wright wasn't brought in to become the #1 guy at some point in the future was he? Please clarify what you meant above.

Marcel Shipp was a UDFA who was brought in to be a depth player/special teamer. He became a fan favorite for being an exciting runner on a terrible team and was given the starting job. Shipp was named the starter and promptly turned back into a pumpkin. A major injury and his career was over. He'd mustered so much good will with the franchise (who had given him a dumb contract extension) that he hung around on the roster long after any other team in the NFL would have had any use for him.

Wright is a smart guy, and a hard worker. Good special teams contributor. He proved a lot to me (and the coaching staff, allegedly) when he volunteered to play FB in the final few games of the regular season. I think that's what Marcel Shipp was supposed to be for the team, but the franchise was so talentless that Shipp became some kind of marquee player. :bang:

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Marcel Shipp was a UDFA who was brought in to be a depth player/special teamer. He became a fan favorite for being an exciting runner on a terrible team and was given the starting job. Shipp was named the starter and promptly turned back into a pumpkin. A major injury and his career was over. He'd mustered so much good will with the franchise (who had given him a dumb contract extension) that he hung around on the roster long after any other team in the NFL would have had any use for him.

Wright is a smart guy, and a hard worker. Good special teams contributor. He proved a lot to me (and the coaching staff, allegedly) when he volunteered to play FB in the final few games of the regular season. I think that's what Marcel Shipp was supposed to be for the team, but the franchise was so talentless that Shipp became some kind of marquee player. :bang:

Ok thanks.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, you pretty well nailed it. I'll throw in my two cents on a few players:
1. Anderson-From what I've read, either on the lines or between the lines, that while he may have a strong arm, he's still inaccurate. If ML struggles in the PS games, I'd look for the team to try and get Bulger.
2. Wright-He's a Whiz type of guy. A true professional, who is a smart football player. With Sean Morey gone, I see him as a lock.
3. Hayes-It all depends on his back, IMO. When you mention his erratic play, I feel that was a result of either his back, or poor NT play in front of him.
4. Lenon-I know nothing about him, but if were going to investigate him, I'd start by looking at the DT/NT who played in front of him.
5. Toler, I HOPE he'll be the starter, but he's really unproven.
6. Miller-He was an excellent KR, but seemed to be unsigned for a pretty long time. If he's to make the team, he'll have to show something as a CB, and I doubt he will.
7. TE-As you said it comes down to Spach vs. Byrd. I'm guessing Byrd, as he gives ML a security blanket.
8. WR-Think the five WR's are set. Jones makes the team.
9. OL-Russ Grimm knows who his nine "hogs" will be. As to who starts, well that will be an interesting TC battle.

Let the games (PS) begin.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Garth----you feel Toler is unproven, yet he played very well indeed against the Saint's big WR's in the playoff game. I know that is only one game, but golly what a game he had against the eventual SB Champs. He did better against them than nearly all the other corners in the league last year. To me that was a serious call for all to set up and take notice. He made an arrival statement.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Garth----you feel Toler is unproven, yet he played very well indeed against the Saint's big WR's in the playoff game. I know that is only one game, but golly what a game he had against the eventual SB Champs. He did better against them than nearly all the other corners in the league last year. To me that was a serious call for all to set up and take notice. He made an arrival statement.

Let's not get crazy. 5 tackles, 1 pass defensed. The good is that he kept the play in front of him and made the tackle. But it's not like he punished the Saints for throwing at him.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Let's not get crazy. 5 tackles, 1 pass defensed. The good is that he kept the play in front of him and made the tackle. But it's not like he punished the Saints for throwing at him.

No doubt K9, I can remember Robert Massey becoming an All-Pro after a couple of big games in the desert.

Tolar has some skills but is far from "a sure thing" at CB right now.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Honestly, this team is too good at this point to spend a lot of time concerned about who's the 7th/8th OL or the DT that is on the outside looking in. Those guys are generally not going to be playing special teams, and so they're on the bubble for the roster unless they can unseat one of the 1-5 round draft picks on the roster or an established veteran.

The biggest issue that is going to be the story in camp is who will be the 3rd, 4th, and 5th CB/DB. Man, that group sucks. Maybe we trust that Donnie Henderson is going to develop a no-name or two in his first season, but did he bring in anyone familiar with his program? Looking at our cornerback depth chart just makes me sick. Sicker than when I look at ILB.

Kerry Rhodes, Justin Miller ???

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Miller is a spare & never produced as a CB. Will he even make the team? I still dont understand his signing.

The question was whether there were any players on the roster familiar with Henderson's system. I believe Rhodes and Miller are, and perhaps it helps answer your question as to why he was signed.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Catfish, good point about Toler, but as you say it's only one game. But one game against a top QB. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn