10 thoughts - Cowboys game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – I am very excited with this coaching staff. Looks like they have energized and motivated this team, and tactical-wise the Cowboys were simply outcoached.

2 – With pomp, circumstance, and high expectations they spent big resources on two middle linebackers, and then a relatively unknown Kyzir White comes in on a good-not-great contract and plays three better games than any one the two other ever played. This one certainly included.

3 – Credit Derrick Leblanc and William Peagler. D-line coach and assistant d-line coach. They have made a bunch of no-names playing hard, optimistic, and relatively effective. And they have created a group with a deep rotation. This game, only one played more than 60% of the snaps, and only three more than 50%.

4 – Josh Dobbs’ performance makes me very excited about Kyler Murray’s impact. The much lesser talented Dobbs played well. If fully invested, Murray can take off under this coaching staff.

5 – I wish Tre McBride would be more involved in the offense. Obviously the context were different at the end of last season, but I just had higher hopes for McBride. The chances to be more involved are there.

6 – I am a big proponent of Zaven Collins’ new position.

7 – I became a fan in 2006, and I have not seen this kind of competent o-lineplay before (though the line with Levi Brown, Daryn Colledge, Lyle Sendlein, Rex Hadnot and Brandon Keith were All Pro in disguise). Not that they are great, but I trust them.

8 – Rondale Moore might be a better RB than WR.

9 – Weekend sucked draft pick-wise.

10 – Marco Wilson getting away with the biggest PI the world has ever seen pretty much sealed the victory. From there, the Cowboys decided to use up all the clock before attempting to score.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice write up but #8 is silly… it was one play where the hole was big enough for me to get 10 yards on…. Just glad he had the explosive speed needed to house it. He has had a few equally explosive plays at WR. We have really short memories on this board.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
1 – I am very excited with this coaching staff. Looks like they have energized and motivated this team, and tactical-wise the Cowboys were simply outcoached.

2 – With pomp, circumstance, and high expectations they spent big resources on two middle linebackers, and then a relatively unknown Kyzir White comes in on a good-not-great contract and plays three better games than any one the two other ever played. This one certainly included.

3 – Credit Derrick Leblanc and William Peagler. D-line coach and assistant d-line coach. They have made a bunch of no-names playing hard, optimistic, and relatively effective. And they have created a group with a deep rotation. This game, only one played more than 60% of the snaps, and only three more than 50%.

4 – Josh Dobbs’ performance makes me very excited about Kyler Murray’s impact. The much lesser talented Dobbs played well. If fully invested, Murray can take off under this coaching staff.

5 – I wish Tre McBride would be more involved in the offense. Obviously the context were different at the end of last season, but I just had higher hopes for McBride. The chances to be more involved are there.

7 – I became a fan in 2006, and I have not seen this kind of competent o-lineplay before (though the line with Levi Brown, Daryn Colledge, Lyle Sendlein, Rex Hadnot and Brandon Keith were All Pro in disguise). Not that they are great, but I trust them.

10 – Marco Wilson getting away with the biggest PI the world has ever seen pretty much sealed the victory. From there, the Cowboys decided to use up all the clock before attempting to score.
I don't know what McCarthy was doing when he started running the clock out on himself. I saw the rams doing the same thing last night. I don't understand what these QB's and coaches are thinking about when they are behind and they are running the play clock down and handing the ball off in the red zone when they aren't on the 1 yard line. If I were McCarthy I would have went right back to those one on one matchups on the outside with Lamb and Gallup until they are completed. If Prescott throws a better ball on either of those they could have been a TD. Maybe next time bring Cooper rush in to throw those, he throws a very good fade ball, but that's not going to happen lol. Cardinals red zone defense played Dallas perfectly.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Glad to have you back! I'm getting the sense that McBride is becoming a bustola, at least relative to his draft position.
Eh he is just not being used. This is the highish pick TE conundrum. Rarely are TEs worthy of being picked because you usually would be better off throwing to a WR.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks Gandhi, but I have to disagree with #10. I don't think it was PI. Maybe Wilson got there 1/2 second early but that happens a lot in football and it doesn't usually get called.

Don't have to turn your head back if you're arriving at the same time as the ball arrives. DB coach does have to speak to him because Wilson got lucky that he got there when the ball did.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Thanks Gandhi, but I have to disagree with #10. I don't think it was PI. Maybe Wilson got there 1/2 second early but that happens a lot in football and it doesn't usually get called.

Don't have to turn your head back if you're arriving at the same time as the ball arrives. DB coach does have to speak to him because Wilson got lucky that he got there when the ball did.
I just don’t think it was that close to qualify as a bang-bang play. If I could see it was early in real time combined with not even an attempt to look back it was clear PI.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just don’t think it was that close to qualify as a bang-bang play. If I could see it was early in real time combined with not even an attempt to look back it was clear PI.

I initially thought it was PI but when I watched the replay it appeared to me as I described above. We did get lucky because Wilson didn't turn to look for the ball.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Thank you sir

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Welcome back. #2 Remember those picks were on Keim not new mgmt staff. #5 Hope McBride comes along and is not a bust. Agree they need to get him more involved.
#9 Prefer wins over draft picks for us. Too bad Texans are also going to do better.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Eh he is just not being used. This is the highish pick TE conundrum. Rarely are TEs worthy of being picked because you usually would be better off throwing to a WR.
Agreed. He's nowhere near the level of a top TE, so a WR is a better target. He's not as good of a blocker as the no-name guy, so no-name guy plays more. If McBride were a low-round pick, no biggee. As a 2nd, he's a waste.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Agreed. He's nowhere near the level of a top TE, so a WR is a better target. He's not as good of a blocker as the no-name guy, so no-name guy plays more. If McBride were a low-round pick, no biggee. As a 2nd, he's a waste.
I think Ertz is standing in the way. I think if you gave McBride his targets, we would see more production.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Remember - he is the next Austin Hooper. SMH

Hooper had 271 yards as a rookie. McBride had 265.

TE's take time to develop. I don't think his lack of targets on Sunday were anything more than gameplan. Ertz only had 2 targets also. Significantly down.

I don't think we will see many on Sunday either considering the Niners backers are so good in coverage.

The one thing they got wrong so far is the targets behind the chains to Ertz expecting him to get YAC. They should really be to McBride who is much faster and far more likely to get the first on a ball thrown under.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

Agree with virtually all of this. 5 Ertz seems to be Dobbs’ security blanket. They need to target McBride. Ertz time has passed. 7 better but not top quality. 8 he has no moves, just straight line speed. Johnson was adequate. Wilson looked good. 10 typically this is called if the CB doesn’t turn head to look for ball.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I initially thought it was PI but when I watched the replay it appeared to me as I described above. We did get lucky because Wilson didn't turn to look for the ball.

I watched it over and over, clearly biased I think it was the right no call. The ball hit his helmet right about bang bang with him contacting the WR. I don't think that's PI. I know he didn't turn but the ball hit his helmet so it's hard to argue the contact prevented the catch, it didn't, the ball hitting the helmet did. If he'd made contact before the ball hit his helmet yes PI, but I don't think he did.

It COULD have been called certainly but I don't think it PI let alone obvious PI