Cards Trade Request Will Be Met

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
There is certainly something to be said for targeting a blue chip player and going and getting him. The Texans seemed to do it pretty perfectly last year...getting the OROY and the DROY.

We currently have enough fire power with our top 7 picks, to trade up for 3 picks in the top 20 if we really wanted to. It gets into the whole "more swings of the bat" idea...and yes, we could still get good players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds...but if you hit on game changers like the Texans did...it really changes your outlook and can swing a team from "mediocre" to "contender" pretty quick.

Lets just say we ended up with Harrison, Dallas Turner, and Terrion Arnold. Do those guys, on rookie deals, make more of an impact than 7 guys in the top 104?

The Jets did the same thing the year before when they drafted Sauce Gardner (4th overall, DROY) and Garrett Wilson (10th overall, OROY).

I think the Texans are overvalued; they barely made the playoffs last year. They're -200 to make the playoffs right now.

They did but they got VERY lucky with Stroud. Panthers took their QB and the Texans got what was left. That is not doing it perfectly...that is being lucky.

If Young went to the Texans, we would have another top 10 pick vs #27.

The Texans could just as easily have passed on Young because he was obviously a flawed prospect. They have consistently shown how indifferent they are toward putting a terrible product on the field for their fans.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There is certainly something to be said for targeting a blue chip player and going and getting him. The Texans seemed to do it pretty perfectly last year...getting the OROY and the DROY.

We currently have enough fire power with our top 7 picks, to trade up for 3 picks in the top 20 if we really wanted to. It gets into the whole "more swings of the bat" idea...and yes, we could still get good players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds...but if you hit on game changers like the Texans did...it really changes your outlook and can swing a team from "mediocre" to "contender" pretty quick.

Lets just say we ended up with Harrison, Dallas Turner, and Terrion Arnold. Do those guys, on rookie deals, make more of an impact than 7 guys in the top 104?
Remember, if memory serves, the Texans hit on two Top Five picks, not just two first rounders.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Which is it, sir? Do they want him, or are they 50/50? #veryimportantquestion
nobody knows for sure. That's why I said they were the wildcard. They're not going to show their hand. If they don't want a QB, one will not be picked by teams 4-11.

The 2 best trade scenarios for the Cards are McCarthy goes top 3 and Maye is available at 4 which could cause a battle between Vikes and Giants since they are rumored to both like him better. The second is, Harrison goes top 3, which we would all hate.
Actually, Harrison going top 3 could hurt the Cards trade opportunities. That mean McCarthy and Maye are both there for the Giants and Vikings and no need to trade up. I don't think the Raiders or Broncos want to move up that far due to cost to get to 4.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That mean McCarthy and Maye are both there for the Giants and Vikings and no need to trade up. I don't think the Raiders or Broncos want to move up that far due to cost to get to 4.

I just don't think this is how it works at the top of the draft. A top 10 pick is a franchise-defining player for most teams. It's not like teams will say "We'll just take a QB" -- especially at that position. There are maybe one or two players they like (and, more importantly, whom the Owner likes), and if they're not available, you decide to go elsewhere.

Later in the draft it's more like BPA, but if you're taking a QB in the top 10, he better be someone you're happy getting yoked to for the rest of your career (non-Keim-edition).

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
nobody knows for sure. That's why I said they were the wildcard. They're not going to show their hand. If they don't want a QB, one will not be picked by teams 4-11.

The 2 best trade scenarios for the Cards are McCarthy goes top 3 and Maye is available at 4 which could cause a battle between Vikes and Giants since they are rumored to both like him better. The second is, Harrison goes top 3, which we would all hate.
Actually, Harrison going top 3 could hurt the Cards trade opportunities. That mean McCarthy and Maye are both there for the Giants and Vikings and no need to trade up. I don't think the Raiders or Broncos want to move up that far due to cost to get to 4.

???

In your scenario, the Giants and Vikings have to compete for MAYE. The Vikings at #11 would have to move up to #4 to trump a move by the Giants at #6. Conceivably, the Giants could stay at #6 and get lucky on Maye or pick McCarthy, a more likely outcome, but the Vikings at #11 have no option but to move up for Maye, and if they wait on McCarthy, they could face trade-ups by either Denver or Raiders.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
???

In your scenario, the Giants and Vikings have to compete for MAYE. The Vikings at #11 would have to move up to #4 to trump a move by the Giants at #6. Conceivably, the Giants could stay at #6 and get lucky on Maye or pick McCarthy, a more likely outcome, but the Vikings at #11 have no option but to move up for Maye, and if they wait on McCarthy, they could face trade-ups by either Denver or Raiders.

The Raiders aren’t a trade up threat unless Daniels gets to #4. I’m sure Monty would do a deal with them because he wants two 1st rd picks in every draft for the rest of his career. Daniels isn’t Stroud and the Raiders aren’t in the AFC South. That would be the one promising “magic beans” type deal.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Raiders aren’t a trade up threat unless Daniels gets to #4. I’m sure Monty would do a deal with them because he wants two 1st rd picks in every draft for the rest of his career. Daniels isn’t Stroud and the Raiders aren’t in the AFC South. That would be the one promising “magic beans” type deal.

My point is that (see CBUS' scenario) if the Vikings stay at #11, hoping Maye or McCarthy slips beyond the GIANTS, then they will have competition from the Broncos or Raiders for the fourth quarterback.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Daniels?? What makes you think the Raiders are targeting Daniels?
The last time they targeted an LSU mobile QB it made them the laughingstock of all pro sports for a decade.
There best bet is to stick and pick with Penix,...but if they were going to trade up I am certain Drake Maye would be the guy they were considering.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Daniels?? What makes you think the Raiders are targeting Daniels?
The last time they targeted an LSU mobile QB it made them the laughingstock of all pro sports for a decade.
There best bet is to stick and pick with Penix,...but if they were going to trade up I am certain Drake Maye would be the guy they were considering.
Daniels was recruited by Antonio Pierce and they have a really close relationship.