Suns trade for Beal

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Agreed it is not the overlap everyone was stating.
So when Book was double teamed in Dallas, Okogis positioned himself to be the outlet, probably assuming no one would be guarding him. It worked as Okogie found KD, Beal or Allen to pass to. I would love them to run this same play, only with Beal as the outlet when we play that small lineup of Gordon, Allen and the big three.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
the back - the ankle - the nose - the birdgangthing predicting beal is about to be one of the best players in Suns history if he stays here with Book

They may be similar in stature but their different in a very complimentary way

1982baskets

Veteran
Reaction score
I have been surprised at how well Beal is adjusting to be the third weapon. He is making an effort to move off the ball, make quick decisions with the ball and not play as if he's the star of the team. Truly has bought in as the third weapon.

The real issue is his defense. He, Grayson and Book are all non-elite at that end. You have a perimeter unit there that can have nights where all 3 are being torched or hunted in mismatches. Our best defender in the starting lineup may be KD, which is scary to think about considering his age. We really need Grayson to come off the bench, while starting a player that is reliable on defense to get stops (but will also fit in on offense). Or even if Grayson starts, we need a player off the bench that can stop the bleeding defensively.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has to be in pain with a fractured nasal cavity and dude is still out there jumping around and not to mention in a Forrest of elbows being thrown around. I was also impressed that they said the Suns wanted him to sit out after the injury and he said no.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have been surprised at how well Beal is adjusting to be the third weapon. He is making an effort to move off the ball, make quick decisions with the ball and not play as if he's the star of the team. Truly has bought in as the third weapon.

The real issue is his defense. He, Grayson and Book are all non-elite at that end. You have a perimeter unit there that can have nights where all 3 are being torched or hunted in mismatches. Our best defender in the starting lineup may be KD, which is scary to think about considering his age. We really need Grayson to come off the bench, while starting a player that is reliable on defense to get stops (but will also fit in on offense). Or even if Grayson starts, we need a player off the bench that can stop the bleeding defensively.

He's getting more comfortable for sure. It was nice to see him back down some smaller defenders, something Book struggles with sometimes. He also is active trying to sneak in for a rebound, he shows higher basketball iq than others. It helps too that he's mature about most decisions, doesn't allow refs or other players to get to his head and mindset of the game.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It's just my opinion, and I know most will disagree with me, but I think Beal is better than having Bridges. Yes Bridges can play D when he wants. Beal is underrated for his D. The offense is way better with Beal. He sets guys up well, drives to the basket and can hit the three. He is way more reliable scoring. One of the big problems with the Twins, was we were always looking for that third scorer on the roster to help Booker. When Ayton and CP3 started scoring less and less consistently, that became a real problem. With Beal we have that third scorer we have been searching for with the Suns ever since Booker has been here.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It's just my opinion, and I know most will disagree with me, but I think Beal is better than having Bridges. Yes Bridges can play D when he wants. Beal is underrated for his D. The offense is way better with Beal. He sets guys up well, drives to the basket and can hit the three. He is way more reliable scoring. One of the big problems with the Twins, was we were always looking for that third scorer on the roster to help Booker. When Ayton and CP3 started scoring less and less consistently, that became a real problem. With Beal we have that third scorer we have been searching for with the Suns ever since Booker has been here.
I think the issue was more so not having a reliable 2nd option. We had a plethora of guys that could get you 15-20 on any given night and Mikal was one of those guys. Issue is none of them could be relied upon enough to get the opposing defense to let up on Booker. Mikal probably would have thrived next to Book and KD if that were possible. That being said what I like about Beal is that he can fill Booker's shoes when he's out of the game and I'm not sold Mikal could.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Mikal on the wing with KD would be amazing plus he’s an iron man while Beal could go down tomorrow with something and nobody would be surprised. Cam would also be getting the best looks of his career with Book/KD which is why it was a killer we couldn’t get just KD for Mikal, picks and expirings (beating dead horse emoji).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Mikal was the third banana to KD/Book I think we’d be a little better in the regular season with his much better D and because of how his offense has evolved. He’s a dynamite 3rd star. Yet, all that said, I’d still worry he’d pull the Shawn Marion playoff disappearing act, just like he did repeatedly for the CP3/Book teams and Beal can be a killer there.

Tough trade off… probably lean towards Bridges because of youth, health and D… but would also probably be cursing him to high Heaven come playoff crunch time.

The real shame is Ayton was so weak that we couldn’t make an Ayton/Cam/picks trade for KD, then swapped CP3 for Beal.

Booker
Beal
Bridges
KD
Some kind of okay stiff

That team would have been freaking DYNAMITE.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
the back - the ankle - the nose - the birdgangthing predicting beal is about to be one of the best players in Suns history if he stays here with Book

They may be similar in stature but their different in a very complimentary way
heeeeeyyyyyy there - and that was when his nose was still jacked - but i did refer to myself in the third person so there was probably drinking involved

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
More than anything, his defense has impressed me. He's know for being an offensive minded player, so him popping off every now and again isn't terribly surprising, but his on-ball defense has been way way better than I expected.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More than anything, his defense has impressed me. He's know for being an offensive minded player, so him popping off every now and again isn't terribly surprising, but his on-ball defense has been way way better than I expected.
He's not the quickest or strongest out there but he works hard on D and always seems to come up with a big play.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
From this clip it's apparent, with healty legs Beal is among the best at shaking his defenders to shoot with sufficient separation, better than Book and KD in current forms who always seem to shoot barely over defenders hands, though with great success.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beal being the initiator might be the magic the Suns need. Let him decide where the offense goes make those reads.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Him and Book fall in the same category, naturally offensively gifted/minded. This usually prevails more than their defensive capability in games. But when asked they definitely can turn it up on D.

He's not the quickest or strongest out there but he works hard on D and always seems to come up with a big play.

He is the quickest and strongest of KD, Book and Allen imo.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard