Suns trade for Royce O'Neale and David Roddy

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We do have the ability to extend both O'Neale and Grayson, both of which fit the profile of guys we'll want moving forward. At this point, you have Book/Beal/Durant/Nurk/Allen/O'Neale as your top 6, and Gordon and other min ring chasers. It's not perfect, but we didn't have any other great path moving forward regardless. We've won 17 of our last 23 while still figuring things out, so I'm feeling much better about our chances moving forward.
And with that group we will continue to be a top 5 destination in the NBA.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, looks like we should start peeking at mock drafts.

If we can't aggregate salaries in trades then we're almost certainly keeping using that pick ourselves.
it's criminal if this team continues to let James Jones blow off the draft. Teams like the Heat consistently find guys who can at least be rotation players as rookies. We need to start doing the same.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
it's criminal if this team continues to let James Jones blow off the draft. Teams like the Heat consistently find guys who can at least be rotation players as rookies. We need to start doing the same.
Where's our Podziemski and Jaquez Jr? Well, we kind of had him in Camara but had to give him up to get rid of that #1 overall pick bum.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's incredible - we get a billionaire owner and the NBA literally cracks down on spending the following year - but this is the way

I would not be surprised to learn Server played a key role in some of the financial restrictions added to the CBA this last go around. He was super cheap and said to be a loud voice back when there was the lockout a decade back.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, with the new CBA rules the Suns should be able to do the following:

1. Draft a player with their first round pick in alternate years.

2. Be able to trade their first round pick for a young player on a low salary. Maybe a team would include a second round pick as well.

3. Trade down in the draft for additional picks, likely second round picks.

4. Sign free agents for the vet minimum.

5. Sign undrafted free agents.

6. Make trades within the CBA restrictions.

To James Jones credit, he is adding players he can extend and add players like David Roddy on multiyear contracts and Nassir Little.

He did draft Toumani Camara so there has to be some scouting going on.

The Suns will be adding a G-League team, hopefully within the next year, so scouting should become a priority.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really like this trade roddy will be nice to pair with nurik on def :) should be good for reb blocks box outs

Lookin forward to gs gm now even more watchin new players!! Fingers crossed both work out in phonix

I fig wouldnt get bridges the cost to much prob wish him big luck on his team

Bong hit lemon haze kush to deal succeding

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We'll see what happens but I think trading away virtually all of the minimum signings we made won't make some guys so eager to come here. Yuta and KBD were reportedly offered more elsewhere but chose Phoenix. I don't imagine either thought they'd end up on lottery teams.

We'll see what happens, players want to win, but anything short of a conference finals run and we could fall down that destination list. I know Monty not using our bench and Terrence Ross last year didn't help make us a destination, which is another reason Monty needed to be replaced. Vogel doesn't have the same issues playing favorites but his rotations have definitely left some questions. Hopefully Royce is used regularly and has a defined role so we don't make it harder to attract any free agents.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We'll see what happens but I think trading away virtually all of the minimum signings we made won't make some guys so eager to come here. Yuta and KBD were reportedly offered more elsewhere but chose Phoenix. I don't imagine either thought they'd end up on lottery teams.

We'll see what happens, players want to win, but anything short of a conference finals run and we could fall down that destination list. I know Monty not using our bench and Terrence Ross last year didn't help make us a destination, which is another reason Monty needed to be replaced. Vogel doesn't have the same issues playing favorites but his rotations have definitely left some questions. Hopefully Royce is used regularly and has a defined role so we don't make it harder to attract any free agents.
Gotta disagree with you there. NBA players aren't stupid. They know that Yuta and KBD weren't playing well here. You want to be part of a championship team? Come on in. Prove you can hang with us and you'll have a future. If you don't, then bye bye. If potential players don't understand it's a business, then we might not want them here anyway.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Finding a really solid 8 man rotation is key for this team. It does not do much good to have a string of players 6-12 deep that are all virtually the same in mediocre impact. Sounds like the players and teams around the league see ONeal as a significant defensive player. Hoping he can play a Mikal type of role for us.

I do not have much expectation for Roddy. Haven't seen a body like that in the league since Charles. However, Chuck could jump.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Finding a really solid 8 man rotation is key for this team. It does not do much good to have a string of players 6-12 deep that are all virtually the same in mediocre impact. Sounds like the players and teams around the league see ONeal as a significant defensive player. Hoping he can play a Mikal type of role for us.

I do not have much expectation for Roddy. Haven't seen a body like that in the league since Charles. However, Chuck could jump.
Looks like we found a 7th guy with Royce. Guessing the 8th guy will be matchup dependent. Could be Okogie, Eubanks or even Bol depending on the matchup.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Your lamenting something... in 2027... 3 years from now? When salary cap will be cleared once KD is gone and we could possibly find another star to take his place next to Booker? And when we'd have more picks to trade because we could then trade picks in the 2030s to try and get more talent?
Exactly.

But let’s be miserable now. 3 years before we know how any of that unfolds.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
By then bol will dominating.
Gee, let's hope.

A lot of people seem to forget he was a top 5 or so recruit out of high school. So it's not like he was just some extra tall dude they found on the street somewhere that they talked into playing basketball (more or less, what his father was). He's still raw but if he gets experience and good coaching, he could turn into something.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will it still be double apron without KDs salary and leaps in salary cap?
"For 2023-24, the salary cap is $136 million and the tax level is $165.294 million. So to be above the second apron, a team’s payroll this season would have to be over $182 million."

We are at 190 Million and Durant makes 47 Million this year. So, I believe based on these links shedding Durant or Beal's contract would get us under the 2nd Apron.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Do we have any 2nd round picks left? This is our team for the foreseeable future.
It was about getting a guy we could resign like Allen. These guys will have higher salaries, which increases the level of guys we could trade for if we trade this guys. I have heard that some teams buy second round picks from other teams. That would fit right in with Ishbia.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It was about getting a guy we could resign like Allen. These guys will have higher salaries, which increases the level of guys we could trade for if we trade this guys. I have heard that some teams buy second round picks from other teams. That would fit right in with Ishbia.
We might not be able to buy 2cnd round picks, if that is considered a "trade" from the rules listed above.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Bol Bol was saying KD was his favorite player as a young man. He said playing and learning from KD was one of the main reasons he wanted to come to PHX. I imagine other players have similar thoughts about playing with Book, Beal, KD, etc.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We might not be able to buy 2cnd round picks, if that is considered a "trade" from the rules listed above.

We can't buy 2nd rounders going forward because we are unable to use cash as part of trades. Teams get a pot, I believe $6 million, to use each NBA year to add to deals but 2nd apron teams don't. So buying 2nd rounders is out.

I believe we'll trade our 1st round pick on draft night for multiple 2nd round picks. That seems the easiest, and one of the only, ways we can replenish our stash of picks.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We can't buy 2nd rounders going forward because we are unable to use cash as part of trades. Teams get a pot, I believe $6 million, to use each NBA year to add to deals but 2nd apron teams don't. So buying 2nd rounders is out.

I believe we'll trade our 1st round pick on draft night for multiple 2nd round picks. That seems the easiest, and one of the only, ways we can replenish our stash of picks.

I don't see why we'd do that. The odds of finding a decent player using one pick in the early-mid 20s are far far greater than even like... 10 second round picks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson