Three team trade with Cards moving to #5?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A potential franchise quarterback is far more valuable.

The only upside for the Cardinals versus just staying at number four is they get to move up four spots at the end of the first round

Meanwhile Minnesota gets their quarterback of the future
What it is costing Minnesota is not part of the Cardinals equation.

If they are considering just sticking at 4 to draft Harrison this is a better option period.

If they aren't that sold on Harrison, then yeah I would agree the cards should trade down further and get more from Minnesota.

akg102

Veteran
Reaction score
What it is costing Minnesota is not part of the Cardinals equation.

If they are considering just sticking at 4 to draft Harrison this is a better option period.

If they aren't that sold on Harrison, then yeah I would agree the cards should trade down further and get more from Minnesota.

This is exactly what it comes down to.
People who are "MHJ or bust" think it's a no-brainer. Those who think Odunze (or Nabers) will be as good as MHJ think it's a raw deal.

I think Odunze will be +/- 5% of what MHJ will be in the NFL.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Do they though?

They are just moving back one spot, still getting the player they want and gaining 4 spots in the 20's. Why would you turn it down? It's already no risk and all reward.

It's like ordering lunch and being offered a free apple pie to move one spot over at the counter so a couple can sit together.

Right, the Cardinals can't ask for anything extra in this scenario. It's the Chargers that are due the QB tax, for moving back 6 spots.

I don't think it happens because Monti wants to be the guy fleecing the Vikings.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They don't actually need more.

I would think everyone hyperventilating over the thought of not drafting MHJ would love this. We still get him, and we move up 4 spots with our second pick.

How good this deal is completely depends on how much you think of Harrison.
We are in the driver seat. We shouldn’t be -20 on scale. Sweeten with a 3rd to us.

Red Bird

Veteran
Reaction score
Uh, sure we do. Unless you give us a Ricky Williams deal, we sit and take Harrison.
I still can’t believe that was a real trade. If Monti gets offered this I think we’ll all understand

Attachments

• IMG_6041.jpeg
    IMG_6041.jpeg
    475.9 KB · Views: 17

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh, sure we do. Unless you give us a Ricky Williams deal, we sit and take Harrison.
Why would you stay put and take Harrison, when you could accept this offer, move from 27 to 23, and still get Harrison?! :doi:

The only way for the Cardinals to extract more from the Vikings in this scenario is to threaten, or actually go through with, a trade with the Giants. But then they risk having the Giants pick Minnesota's preferred QB, which prevents the Vikings from making a deal with the Chargers, allowing the Chargers stay put and take Harrison.

Frankly the Cardinals should either play some higher stakes poker where they still HOPE to get their preferred WR but risk missing out, while receiving a "haul" of draft capital in return.

Or they should accept ANYTHING in a deal where they're guaranteed to get Harrison at #5, because they have no leverage if they want that guarantee.

But sticking at 4 and taking Harrison in the face of an offer where they still get Harrison plus ANY additional draft capital would just be foolish. It doesn't matter if they lose points on the draft value chart, because once you net out Harrison, they gain value.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why would you stay put and take Harrison, when you could accept this offer, move from 27 to 23, and still get Harrison?! :doi:

The only way good the Cardinals to extract more from the Vikings in this scenario is to threaten, or actually go through with, a trade with the Giants. But then they risk having the Giants pick Minnesota's preferred QB, which prevents the Vikings from making a deal with the Chargers, allowing the Chargers stay put and take Harrison.

Frankly the Cardinals should either play some higher stakes poker where they still HOPE to get their preferred WR but risk missing out, while receiving a "haul" of draft capital in return.

Or they should accept ANYTHING in a deal where they're guaranteed to get Harrison at #5, because they have no leverage if they want that guarantee.

But sticking at 4 and taking Harrison in the face of an offer where they still get Harrison plus ANY additional draft capital would just be foolish. It doesn't matter if they lose points on the draft value chart, because once you net out Harrison, they gain value.

Exactly. The Cards aren't giving anything up. It's all gravy, would be nuts to ask for more.

It's the Chargers here that are giving up the most and if I was them I'd want more than just #27.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

The only way good the Cardinals to extract more from the Vikings in this scenario is to threaten, or actually go through with, a trade with the Giants. But then they risk having the Giants pick Minnesota's preferred QB, which prevents the Vikings from making a deal with the Chargers, allowing the Chargers stay put and take Harrison.

I specifically replied to a post saying we didn't have leverage. I didn't specifically respond to the trade scenario you're harping on about :doi:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I agree if Monti thinks MHJ is what Cbus says he is and Odunze/Nabers aren't close to what MHJ is.
Monti also has to have a deal worked out with the Titans or Falcons to ensure they get a top notch WR.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If verified and true. I assume that this is the Vikings opening idea and their opening offer..

If you look at the draft value chart, The Chargers get a bit extra in terms of points for the move, but Cardinals are not.

Cards give up 2480 and gain 2460 = -20
Vikings give up 2010 and gain 1800 = -210
Chargers give up 1700 and gain 1930 = +230

There should be more suitors for #4 and I would ask more. And then the Franchise QB tax on top. I would ask for 2025 1st and settle for 2025 2nd or swapping our 2025 2nd for their 2025 1st

Can you educate me on these numbers? So the 4th pick is 2480 and the 5th pick is 2460?

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
If you want to say this is a great fall back offer then fine...moving up 4 spots and still getting MHJ is better than staying at 27 and getting him. But thats not the true value of the pick we hold...which is the ability to pick QB#4 (can't believe Im typing that for guys like Daniels and McCarthy).

We will, and probably currently are getting better offers from other teams. If the Chargers are willing to move down to#11 for just pick #27....then why do we need the Vikings at all? We dont need to do them any favors.

Lets say NYG, Denver, or Vegas comes calling with a package of 2024 and 2025 picks. We would clearly have enough to trade right back up with the Chargers and cut Minny out of the deal completely...and walk away with more than a 4 pick move up.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And that only hurts the Cards because we are giving up moving our pick from 27 to 23.

That's not leverage.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Do they though?

They are just moving back one spot, still getting the player they want and gaining 4 spots in the 20's. Why would you turn it down? It's already no risk and all reward.

It's like ordering lunch and being offered a free apple pie to move one spot over at the counter so a couple can sit together.

Yeah, but I want ice cream on my apple pie!

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Right, the Cardinals can't ask for anything extra in this scenario. It's the Chargers that are due the QB tax, for moving back 6 spots.

I don't think it happens because Monti wants to be the guy fleecing the Vikings.

Well, dropping out of the top 10 and netting extra first-rounders in 2024 and 25 is hardly a fleecing, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson