• D

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • F

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I gave it a C. This is what I expected Monti to do, although the signings happened earlier and cost more than I thought they would.

None of these guys broke the top 100 free agents on nfl.com or the top 150 on PFF. That obviously doesn't mean they won't be good signings, but it's a little tough to get too excited about them. The D-line needed bodies, so those signings make sense from a positional standpoint. Pff said Murphy-Bunting struggled mirroring receivers and needs to play zone to be effective. That should be interesting. The team did get better today, though, so I can't complain much.

However, the problem with treating free agency like this is that you really have to nail the draft. I wasn't super impressed with his draft last year, so I'm hoping for better things this year.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I really like the signings so far. It fits in the plan, But Nothing spectacular, so I gave it a B.

Burting is a #2 CB that blends in with our Young CB group that has shown talent.

Colon brings stability as a fringe starter at weakest position on offense. He played better at the end of the season and is a Nice compliment to Gaines and a 2nd Or 3rd draft draft Pick.

Mack Wilson is a under-the-radar great signing. Coverage LB that the team desperately needed. Barnes added for 2 down LB depth.

The DTs. Two players that sit in the fringe 1st Or clear 2nd rotation. Both compete to be a 2nd IDL and gives a great rotation with Collier.

Nothing fancy, but solid complimentary pieces to strenghten the team. It gives the team flexibility to
1. Trade for Snead Or Reddick
2. Sign an aging quality player or younger prove-it player for a short term deal (Kinlaw, chase Young, Clowney, Hunter etc.)
3. Bring in a High draft Pick at CB, IDT Or Edge

Last edited:

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
i give it a D... for defense - which definitely improved today - this is monti and sears first legit participation in free agency - they must see something in these guys - but back today's attention and deniro going primarily to the defensive side - i love it - especially with who i want in the first round of the draft so im going with a B grade

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
B based on needs. Solid players that are upgrades across the defence.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Since the team won 3 games in the 8 that Kyler played, doesn't that put the minimum projected wins for next season at 6, even without an improved defense? I'd say we've already improved the one of the league's worst defense and 6 wins or more seems like a good bet. A few more free agency adds and a good draft with our 11 draft choices and 8-9 wins should be realistic.
I am guessing we will disagree on how competitive the Cardinals actually were last year.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Upgrading a roster they stripped to the bones is not a valid achievement.

It absolutely is from a leadership standpoint.

This is the reality of new management. You craft the team into your ideal to execute your vision.

If you get hired as a manager it's usually because the team isn't working out. So you spend your first phase identifying who works on the team and who doesn't. After that you hire your guys to fill the new openings.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It absolutely is from a leadership standpoint.

This is the reality of new management. You craft the team into your ideal to execute your vision.

If you get hired as a manager it's usually because the team isn't working out. So you spend your first phase identifying who works on the team and who doesn't. After that you hire your guys to fill the new openings.
None of these guys make a difference. They aren’t future captains and leaders. They are dudes who are rotational guys.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
None of these guys make a difference. They aren’t future captains and leaders. They are dudes who are rotational guys.

Every team needs guys who do what they are asked well. Everyone can't be leaders. You need guys who are reliable and follow direction well.

I have an employee who is not a leader at all but is consistent, reliable, and excellent in his role. He has zero desire to move up or lead others, he just wants to be the best at where his role is.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Miss Duck a lot…. Such a great guy whom I will be forever indebted for my Super Bowl experience. Hope he’s RIP with his boy….
So many gone, doesn’t it seem like? I have a picture from a poker night at my house (when Bickley was going to be there but ended up doing an interview over the phone) and there are a few there that I would love to argue football and life with.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So many gone, doesn’t it seem like? I have a picture from a poker night at my house (when Bickley was going to be there but ended up doing an interview over the phone) and there are a few there that I would love to argue football and life with.
Def too many gone…. And prob a few we don’t even know about. A lot of people have disappeared. :(

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
C, I didn’t watch many bears games but I think Jones could end up being an overpay when we see the rest of the DT a market shake out (DaQuan Jones signed for 2/16). Also not sure on Murphy-bunting, CB market is pretty deep albeit a number of them are older and/or have injury concerns but guys like Howard, Gilmore, white and fuller are all still out there and Darby signed for roughly half what we paid for SMB.

Love the Wilson and Gillikin signings and like the Nichols signing. We at least went after areas of need with the signings I’m dubious of.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gannon had success in Philly because of a deep rotation on the defensive line. This does nothing to rule out a DT early in the draft, but it does improve the chance of defensive success.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Gannon had success in Philly because of a deep rotation on the defensive line. This does nothing to rule out a DT early in the draft, but it does improve the chance of defensive success.
This. That is what I like of all the signings. No pro-bowlers, just really solid depth in the rotation.

Look at DT. Collier, Stille, Fotu, Jones and Nichols. Solid 5 man rotation AND a potential superstar DT can still be added with the 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft.

NOTE. Just realized Fotu is a free agent...

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Every team needs guys who do what they are asked well. Everyone can't be leaders. You need guys who are reliable and follow direction well.

I have an employee who is not a leader at all but is consistent, reliable, and excellent in his role. He has zero desire to move up or lead others, he just wants to be the best at where his role is.
We need more than one Big John on defense. We don't have any. We aren't getting more than one in the draft. Or, rather, you can't reasonably expect that to happen. Heck, we can't expect to go D in the top two rounds, even, now.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah I’m going B. I like how quickly they are moving and the direction. If they can move from the bottle in defensive statistics to somewhere in the middle of the pack this team can make a playoff run.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This. That is what I like of all the signings. No pro-bowlers, just really solid depth in the rotation.

Look at DT. Collier, Stille, Fotu, Jones and Nichols. Solid 5 man rotation AND a potential superstar DT can still be added with the 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft.

NOTE. Just realized Fotu is a free agent...
What makes you think Monti will sign two FA DT to start and then use the one of the top 3 picks in the draft on a DT?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson