Suns @ Kings Sunday game thread 12-27-2020

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
That's the part that drives me (and many others I'm sure) insane. Even when he has a smaller defender pinned in the low post, when he gets the ball it's 90% of the time a short hook. Very rarely does he try and seek contact to score through the defender.

All of this continually makes me wonder if the Suns are giving Ayton proper coaching, or he just ignores it. Either could be the failure here.

Monty is acknowledged as a good coach, so one would assume the staff is at least attempting to get Ayton the correct instruction. But as Ayton seems to incessantly refuse to do what he should be doing, and yet there seems to never be any consequences for it, I'm not sure what's going on there.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
All of this continually makes me wonder if the Suns are giving Ayton proper coaching, or he just ignores it. Either could be the failure here.

Monty is acknowledged as a good coach, so one would assume the staff is at least attempting to get Ayton the correct instruction. But as Ayton seems to incessantly refuse to do what he should be doing, and yet there seems to never be any consequences for it, I'm not sure what's going on there.

Should have traded Ayton to Minnesota for KAT when we had the chance. Now, if this season goes off the rails (as it now looks like it might), cue Booker demanding a trade to the Wolves or Lakers...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I wish the Suns had an aggressive big man who had some moves to coach Ayton. Mark Bryant was more of a banger as a player. I'm not sure if anyone else is working with Ayton or not.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton has to want to be more involved.

I am not even sure what that means. I saw him calling for the ball in the post plenty last night and not getting the ball.
It’s true he could have been more aggressive for offensive boards, but the only time he typically touches the ball at the top of the key and he is not very effective from there.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not even sure what that means. I saw him calling for the ball in the post plenty last night and not getting the ball.
It’s true he could have been more aggressive for offensive boards, but the only time he typically touches the ball at the top of the key and he is not very effective from there.

not very effective is an understatement. He doesn’t even LOOK at the basket when he gets the ball there. He hasn’t added anything to his game at that spot on the court since he stepped foot on the court in his rookie season. By his third season, Amare was already facing up and able to drive to the hole. Ayton has ZERO handles or even desire to shoot the ball at that spot.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was mentioned earlier in the thread but it's something to keep an eye on tonight if the Kings try the same defensive strategy on Ayton tonight and how the Suns counter.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Kings plan to let the Suns shoot 44 three point shots again tonight, I doubt they are only going to hit 25%.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Backup center will be by committee.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If the Kings plan to let the Suns shoot 44 three point shots again tonight, I doubt they are only going to hit 25%.

Yeah, the masterful plan of sucking down to stop DA only worked because we missed about 15 open threes only two of which would have swung the game.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns down two big men. This doesn't help.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are the starting lineups.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Suns down two big men. This doesn't help.

Until he develops his lower body, Jalen Smith is going to be prone to injuries like that (and lower leg and knee injuries in general).

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the Kings bringing Bjelica and Whiteside off the bench, size could be an issue for the Suns again tonight on the boards.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Tom Chambers and Eddie Johnson are coming down heavy about Ayton on the pre-game show.

They're telling it like it is and are saying the things we've been saying here. One of them even
said they want a 20-20 out of him tonight. Especially with the Suns so weak on backup bigs.

I'm not going to post during the game, but I'll be watching and rooting.

As far as Deandre, I don't care about his stats. I want to see strength!

On offense and defense. It's is his hands! Which means do something
when the ball is in his hands instead of passing it to the 3-point line. :thumbup::thumbup:

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tom Chambers and Eddie Johnson are coming down heavy about Ayton on the pre-game show.

They're telling it like it is and are saying the things we've been saying here. One of them even
said they want a 20-20 out of him tonight. Especially with the Suns so weak on backup bigs.

I'm not going to post during the game, but I'll be watching and rooting.

As far as Deandre, I don't care about his stats. I want to see strength!

On offense and defense. It's is his hands! Which means do something
when the ball is in his hands instead of passing it to the 3-point line. :thumbup::thumbup:

Tell Tom Chambers we need him to suit up tonight. ;)

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I see why Tom Leander didn't do the pre-game show. He's calling the game instead of Kevin Ray.

I'm really going to enjoy listening tonight. No more choppy 5-part sentences or going on and
on and on and saying nothing. Say what you will about Leander, he is smooth. Especially now
since he has stopped emulating Al McCoy's corny catch phrases.

Go, Tom. :thumbup:

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Game about to tip off.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holmes scores on fast break on early steal.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton's shot blocked by Holmes.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton says take that and hits a 3-pointer. Kings are sagging on Ayton.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This time Paul hits Ayton going to the basket for score.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He hasn't been perfect but if we'd had this Ayton in the first half last night we'd have won handily given how poorly the Kings were shooting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson