Suns @ Kings Sunday game thread 12-27-2020

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns finish their second night of back-to-back games with the Kings on Sunday.

Kings are now 2-0 on the season after beating the Suns 106-103 last night.

Suns fall to 1-1 on the season.

The Suns get a day off before playing the Pelicans at home on Tuesday.

Start time is listed at 7 p.m. Arizona time.

The game will be televised on FSAZ.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kings outworked the Suns last night playing with more energy. The Suns need to correct this if they hope to win tonight.

Lots of other reasons as well but the Suns can't come out with a slow start and expect to win. They have to get Ayton more involved.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kings outworked the Suns last night playing with more energy. The Suns need to correct this if they hope to win tonight.

Lots of other reasons as well but the Suns can't come out with a slow start and expect to win. They have to get Ayton more involved.

Ayton has to want to be more involved.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Kings defensive plan on Ayton appeared to include keeping a body in front of him. I noticed that Ayton never appeared to be open during the game. I kept thinking with his size, how can that be.

Ayton needs to improve getting lob passes and be involved in more pick and rolls.

From Duane Rankin, Arizona Republic:

Marvin Bagley III, who is very familiar with Ayton from competing in The Valley in high school, said the Kings wanted to get him off his spots and make it "rough" on him.

He didn't to unveil the complete game plan. Understandable.

The Kings and Suns will go at it again in less than 24 hours, but Walton gave a little insight as to the plan for defending Ayton.

"We just wanted to keep a body in front of him," he said. "We didn't care how big the body was. Just keep a body in front of him."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...nd-phoenix-suns-first-loss-season/4051755001/

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thought about the Kings defensive plan, Ayton has a tendency to bring the ball down. Keeping a defender in front of him does not allow him to bring the ball down which he shouldn't anyway but he does.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We missed a TON of open 3s. I thought we played much better last night than against Dallas. Encouraging to see the progress. The shots will fall.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Payne looking extremely legit is hugely important moving forward.

When Saric comes back we won’t ever have to see Frank or Jones again. Another big factor.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Go suns

Kings are a decent team i really like fox good pg

Really want to see a monster gm from ayton like a barkley type from the old days. .

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Monty made the key adjustment of putting Bridges on Fox. I think we see that match-up more tonight and we make open shots and take this one down.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another thought about the Kings defensive plan, Ayton has a tendency to bring the ball down. Keeping a defender in front of him does not allow him to bring the ball down which he shouldn't anyway but he does.
I think the scouting report says Ayton doesn’t have the balls to take it to anyone at all, so it doesn’t matter if it’s a small or a big on him. If we, the posters on this forum can see that, I’m sure they know as well.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the scouting report says Ayton doesn’t have the balls to take it to anyone at all, so it doesn’t matter if it’s a small or a big on him. If we, the posters on this forum can see that, I’m sure they know as well.

If Ayton were more aggressive he wouldn't need to have a lot of plays run for him as he would score a lot of points on put-backs after missed shots. He stands around too much. Suns need to find a way to get him more involved.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

This is what I was thinking. It doesn't matter how big the body in front of him is because he doesn't punish his defender.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Monty made the key adjustment of putting Bridges on Fox. I think we see that match-up more tonight and we make open shots and take this one down.

And that is why the Chris Paul trade is a failure. I don't think anyone in the Suns organization was counting on having to put Bridges on the opposing point guard because Paul couldn't defend anymore.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
This is what I was thinking. It doesn't matter how big the body in front of him is because he doesn't punish his defender.
That's the part that drives me (and many others I'm sure) insane. Even when he has a smaller defender pinned in the low post, when he gets the ball it's 90% of the time a short hook. Very rarely does he try and seek contact to score through the defender.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
And that is why the Chris Paul trade is a failure. I don't think anyone in the Suns organization was counting on having to put Bridges on the opposing point guard because Paul couldn't defend anymore.
Dude only the absolute most elite defenders in the league can stay in front of Fox. He is insanely quick. I would argue that no one can lock him up on a regular basis.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Dude only the absolute most elite defenders in the league can stay in front of Fox. He is insanely quick. I would argue that no one can lock him up on a regular basis.

He's DeAaron Fox, not Damian Lillard, Kyrie Irving or Kemba Walker.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
22/12/0tov lol

On 8 for 19 shooting, and a decent defending point guard should never have to be covered for by a small forward on defense.

It's early, but thus far the Chris Paul trade is a total failure.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
On 8 for 19 shooting, and a decent defending point guard should never have to be covered for by a small forward on defense.

It's early, but thus far the Chris Paul trade is a total failure.
This is just idiotic. Bridges is our best perimeter defender and that is fine because he is an elite defender. Makes sense for your best perimeter defender to guard the other teams best perimeter player....

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is just idiotic. Bridges is our best perimeter defender and that is fine because he is an elite defender. Makes sense for your best perimeter defender to guard the other teams best perimeter player....

The Kings' best perimeter player is Buddy Hield. Fox can't shoot. Any halfway decent defending point guard can handle Fox as a result. Unfortunately, Chris Paul is no longer a halfway decent defending point guard.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Poor Chriss, first a broken brain and now a broken bone.

What ever happened with Dragan Bender and Tyler Ulis?

Man, as much as I give James Jones a hard time, that 2016 draft by McDonough was a historic failure...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As expected Saric and Nader are out again tonight. Hope to get Saric back later in the week.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, Fox is lightning quick. He is a one man fast break.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard