Hopkins and Practice

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Thoughts?

Personally, I do not care. It does affect the ability of the team to be in sync. There is no way to argue against that.

Does it matter with Hopkins who can does this in his sleep? I do not think so.

But it will raise eyebrows, as it did in Houston, or at least I thought it did in Houston. Pretty sure the Cardinals know what they got there.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thoughts?

Personally, I do not care. It does affect the ability of the team to be in sync. There is no way to argue against that.

Does it matter with Hopkins who can does this in his sleep? I do not think so.

But it will raise eyebrows, as it did in Houston, or at least I thought it did in Houston. Pretty sure the Cardinals know what they got there.

Really!?!

What evidence do you have to support this contention beyond media hype?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...-deandre-hopkins-defends-practice-habits-rant

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill O'Brien loves this thread.

This season has proved something huge for the players.

They don't need as much practice as coaches have preached for a century. They don't need preseason. They can do a lot of prep on their own. They don't all have to practice every day possible.

EDIT: I will add in this day and age of athletes honing their skills all year round. Which starts in high school.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Really!?!

What evidence do you have to support this contention beyond media hype?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...-deandre-hopkins-defends-practice-habits-rant

My evidence is life.

You practice timing and it gets better. There is a reason people practice doing things, and have done it for....oh, thousands of years throughout time. I do not care how good a person is at something you can always improve. Practicing things can help improve things, if it did not, then why have people been doing it forever? Because it produces positive results in most cases.

If the argument against is that timing doesn't matter? Then why are there so many timing routes in the NFL and they have been used by every coach, at every level of the game? I is not hurting anything to try and improve it.

If you think otherwise that is fine, but let's save hours of our life and agree to disagree on that.

Does it apply here? Like I said above, not to the point where I think it matters. Hopkins could be better but he is good enough doing what he is doing that he dominates out on the field. As Hopkins says, just watch him play the game. He dominates at times, not all the time, not consistently but he can dominate.

You can be Manning and Marvin Harrison, or you can be Culpepper and R.Moss. They both work in their own ways.

This is not to slam the guy either, BTW. I personally DO NOT CARE if he practices or not, I think he could benefit from it but who cares what I think. As long as he produces, I do not care.

Just interesting that this is a thing, especially when it was known that he does not practice a lot. Cardinals must have known when they got him. So what is the surprise?

Last edited:
OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Bill O'Brien loves this thread.

This season has proved something huge for the players.

They don't need as much practice as coaches have preached for a century. They don't need preseason. They can do a lot of prep on their own. They don't all have to practice every day possible.

Still a form of practice, just not the traditional type.

But, I agree. They are professionals and know what they are doing.

It is like me commuting to my office to work instead of just sitting here at home doing the same thing. Are certain things more efficient? Sure. But, in the end the job gets done and in other areas I am more efficient here then at the office.

Crazy how this year change perspective on certain things.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My evidence is life.

You practice timing and it gets better. There is a reason people practice doing things, and have done it for....oh, thousands of years throughout time. I do not care how good a person is at something you can always improve. Practicing things can help improve things, if it did not, then why have people been doing it forever? Because it produces positive results in most cases.

If you think otherwise that is fine, but let's save hours of our life and agree to disagree on that.

Does it apply here? Like I said above, not to the point where I think it matters. Hopkins could be better but he is good enough doing what he is doing that he dominates out on the field. You can be Manning and Marvin Harrison, or you can be Culpepper and R.Moss. They both work in their own ways.

"Out of 41 practices, thus far this season Hopkins has missed 18, with 13 coming on Wednesdays, 10 of which were for veteran days off, according to the Cardinals' injury reports. He has missed five practices with an ankle injury, including all of Week 4 and two-thirds of Week 7. He missed one practice in Week 12 with an illness and another practice in Week 13 with neck and back issues".

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
"Out of 41 practices, thus far this season Hopkins has missed 18, with 13 coming on Wednesdays, 10 of which were for veteran days off, according to the Cardinals' injury reports. He has missed five practices with an ankle injury, including all of Week 4 and two-thirds of Week 7. He missed one practice in Week 12 with an illness and another practice in Week 13 with neck and back issues".

So you say he practices enough.

I wonder what is considered missing a lot of practices then? Sorry, I just find it interesting.

Obviously, I am in the VAST, VAST minority on that. LOL

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
103/1324

Imagine the numbers if he wasn't lollygagging mid-week!?! ;)

Those numbers are great. I am 100%, completely fine and happy with them. I see no problem with anything in regards to it. And I have stated that 3 times on this thread.

That ALL BEING SAID, and for a 4th time I will say, with his production being everything a team could ask for, I will say, IF per what media is saying (which I 100% agree could be making something out of complete nonsense) about he does not practice a lot, relative to what the NFL norm is (and no I have no idea what it is) then yes, I believe he could improve on those numbers. Which is crazy! He is a talent, thus why he produces regardless.

Again, just was interesting to me. But, obviously I am the only one, so point made, no one cares here. Which is fine, and understandable.

Have a good one. Hopefully there are better topics for this place that will come along over the holidays.

Have a good holiday by the way!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the sensible play here.

No doubt hopkins doesn't need practice but Kyler probably needs it to get in sync and achieve desired comfort level
If his production was half of what it is, and we saw more miscommunication between him and Kyler, then he definitely should be practicing more.

But, a happy DHop is also something to consider. This issue is why he and O'Brien hated each other. To me, it's not worth it for the coaches to try and force him to practice on Weds.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If his production was half of what it is, and we saw more miscommunication between him and Kyler, then he definitely should be practicing more.

But, a happy DHop is also something to consider. This issue is why he and O'Brien hated each other. To me, it's not worth it for the coaches to try and force him to practice on Weds.

New offense, new qb I would think he would want to practice but as you said, the production is there and it's probably not a battle that should be fought when the best wr in the league is in his prime.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Much ado about not much. Won't say "nothing" because there is, obviously, a bit more advantage if one practices every time it is available. BUT, I think the numbers and the ability speaks for itself. Plus, the Cards were aware of DHop's practice routine when they made the trade. They are now at the end of the season and have played enough that it shouldn't matter all that much.

The Cards got one of the best, if not THE best WR in the league, and the talking heads want to find SOMETHING to bag on the Cards about. It's what they do.

I think the Cards are happy with the trade.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Much ado about not much. Won't say "nothing" because there is, obviously, a bit more advantage if one practices every time it is available. BUT, I think the numbers and the ability speaks for itself. Plus, the Cards were aware of DHop's practice routine when they made the trade. They are now at the end of the season and have played enough that it shouldn't matter all that much.

The Cards got one of the best, if not THE best WR in the league, and the talking heads want to find SOMETHING to bag on the Cards about. It's what they do.

I think the Cards are happy with the trade.

Happy?

Try:

Enraptured, elated, euphoric, rapturous, overjoyed, blissful, beatific, on cloud nine, in seventh heaven, delirious (with happiness), jumping for joy, rhapsodic, enchanted, delighted, thrilled, jubilant, exultant, over the moon, on top of the world, blissed-out AND orgasmic

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
so basically, he hasn't dome anything bad of consequence. 10 were days off and the rest were because of injury/recovery. So, nothing to this at all.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have no doubt that HE doesn't have to practice. My concern is for the QB who is throwing him the ball.

This is the sensible play here.

No doubt hopkins doesn't need practice but Kyler probably needs it to get in sync and achieve desired comfort level

Good debate here

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

PlanoCard

Rookie
Reaction score
I'm old school and would never miss a practice if I was blessed enough to ever be on an NFL roster, but the bottom line is the bottom line. He produces game in and game out and we still stole him from the Texans. We wouldn't have a winning record without him!

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have no doubt that HE doesn't have to practice. My concern is for the QB who is throwing him the ball.
Hasn't been a concern at all
1st season with K1 and he is on pace for 1500, not counting the team doesn't have a legit wr2 and defenses can focus on him more

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson