Free Agency 2020

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After our bubble performance, do you think we're not going to have a jump in the standings? We might not, but I'm almost 100% certain a certain team owner probably thinks so.

I'll admit, there's something about FVV that just doesn't sit with me. I don't know what it is. So that is probably part of my preference to not want to sign him for $30m per.

It would be better make a move now in FA now, not next year. It just has to be the right move. I am not convinced that FVV is the right move though. He is a middler level player who is going to get top level money. We should only spend that money on the final piece, and I doubt FVV is the final piece. We really don't know what should be the final piece at the moment.

If you think there is a lot of hype right now about where the Freak will end up next year, just wait until Book gets close to the end of his deal. Our window is shorter than we realize. He will bolt for the Lakers someday. We all kinda know that.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My prediction about the future might not be accurate but if it is, we aren't talking about a simply "downturn in the market". As a matter of fact, they've already suffered through something that far outpaces your typical downturn. And having a great business plan means nothing if nothing pans out as you planned. If I were a betting man I'd be putting money down on the NBA losing a few teams. And the NFL is going to be in far worse shape if my view of the future happens.

And as for your assurance that "buyers are out there", I guess we'll see. I have no doubt there will be investors looking for a fire sale but I doubt there are many willing to match the stated value of the organization and it's assets. And that's in today's world, I'm expecting the outlook to get much worse.

I'm not trying to make this political but keep in mind that much of my doom and gloom revolves around what happens in the election and what steps are taken nationally between now and January.

There are always buyers that's how the rich get richer. Some teams could sell if they panic or do not have good financial footing.

Sort of reminds me of the bank run in the movie, "It's A Wonderful Life."

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And prior to that we let go of a couple of Assistant Coaches with no explanation provided. Rightly or wrongly, I've just assumed that was an early step to reducing expenses. I expect more cost cutting moves and we can only hope it's with an eye to making the franchise more appealing to interested buyers. Glen Taylor is the first possible seller mentioned publicly but I'm confident he won't be the only one looking.

If this is a forerunner to Sarver selling the team to a good owner who keeps the team in Phoenix then everything becomes more palatable as long as Sarver doesn't gut the team.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sarcee never a penny-pincher but he is not going over board. Draft pick and resign everyone but the Tank. He’ll keep the tank too

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sarcee never a penny-pincher but he is not going over board. Draft pick and resign everyone but the Tank. He’ll keep the tank too

Remember the money Sarver spent on Childress, Warrick and Turkoglu.

It seems to be more about how he spends the money.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It's just such a shame that a once proud franchise has been held hostage by Bobby Sarver for the last 12 years. I don't know another way of describing it. If there were a way for Sarver to move the team, with the understanding we keep the team name, I'd be all for it. I can't imagine being a happy owner knowing most of a fan base hates me - at some point if you really care for the team, don't you acknowledge that someone else can probably do a better job?

It's hard to envision a scenario where the Suns are successful with Sarver, between his penny pinching and meddling.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. This is what the fans have been going round and round about for the last few pages.

We should play a cost savings bingo. Selling your minor league team was the free space.

Some possible spaces:

Sell your 2nd round pick
Sell your first round pick
Trade players and end up with the smaller portion of contracts.
Don't spend cap space
Go with the minimum amount of active players on the roster
Furlough employees (already been done. Should be a free space)
Let Saric Walk

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Remember the money Sarver spent on Childress, Warrick and Turkoglu.

It seems to be more about how he spends the money.

There are many examples of him being cheap and also spending poorly!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We should play a cost savings bingo. Selling your minor league team was the free space.

Some possible spaces:

Sell your 2nd round pick
Sell your first round pick
Trade players and end up with the smaller portion of contracts.
Don't spend cap space
Go with the minimum amount of active players on the roster
Furlough employees (already been done. Should be a free space)
Let Saric Walk

It would make a good game or maybe even a poll on which cost cutting measures Sarver should make.

Suns have already used second round picks to move TJ Warren and Josh Jackson.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are many examples of him being cheap and also spending poorly!

Definitely.

The Suns even sold draft picks and used two first round draft picks to trade Kurt Thomas who was a positive asset.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would make a good game or maybe even a poll on which cost cutting measures Sarver should make.

I could see us trading back and tying it to a contract dump as well.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I could see us trading back and tying it to a contract dump as well with Ty Jerome or Kaminsky

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You're joking, right? Chris Sanders just laid out a few of them, there are plenty more.
How is it a joke? Are you seriously claiming that no other team in the NBA has made cost-cutting moves? Take off your blinders!

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
How is it a joke? Are you seriously claiming that no other team in the NBA has made cost-cutting moves? Take off your blinders!

I'm not talking about other teams, dear Chap, I'm talking about our owner, Robert Sarver. Frankly, the fact that there are other crappy and cheap owners out there doesn't make me feel any better about Sarver!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm not talking about other teams, dear Chap, I'm talking about our owner, Robert Sarver. Frankly, the fact that there are other crappy and cheap owners out there doesn't make me feel any better about Sarver!
You accused Sarver of being cheap. Cheap as opposed to what? The accusation itself implies that it is less than normal. What is normal? Normal is that every owner as "cheap" incidents in their history. So yes, I think he is no more cheap than anyone else.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson