Free Agency 2020

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Chap gets his wish, Free Agency after next season: "That $20 million for the Suns could theoretically go to someone like upcoming free agent guard Fred VanVleet, who they have been linked to by The Athletic’s Shams Charania, but Windhorst doesn’t see it because of what he had mentioned.

“I would be stunned if that was the case,” he said of a potential pursuit by the Suns."

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So no new stadium or practice facility? ;)

If the speculation is true, it sounds like it mostly pertains to decreased spending in free agency although it could impact other things as well.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is speculation from Brian Windhorst of ESPN the Suns may decrease spending.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I've been saying it for awhile but it won't just be the Suns. Sarver isn't the cheapskate he's been made out to be but he does not have the financial flexibility that some owners do. And given the volatility right now, he has to tighten the strings. I think any of the organizations run by millionaires (rather than billionaires) is going to either do the same thing or suffer serious consequences if we don't return to full normal in the near future. If optimistic investors approached him right now I could even see him selling.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been saying it for awhile but it won't just be the Suns. Sarver isn't the cheapskate he's been made out to be but he does not have the financial flexibility that some owners do. And given the volatility right now, he has to tighten the strings. I think any of the organizations run by millionaires (rather than billionaires) is going to either do the same thing or suffer serious consequences if we don't return to full normal in the near future. If optimistic investors approached him right now I could even see him selling.

Sarver selling the G-League team opened the door for this most recent criticism.

If Sarver can't stand taking a temporary loss he shouldn't be the owner of a franchise worth over a billion dollars.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Sarver selling the G-League team opened the door for this most recent criticism.

If Sarver can't stand taking a temporary loss he shouldn't be the owner of a franchise worth over a billion dollars.
I don't know, $30 million doesn't seem like something to sweep under the rug.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
We don't need to sign a high-value Free Agent this year. Next year is a much better year for free agency and it will hopefully be out of the pandemic and maybe getting back to normal. We're not going to sign Fred VanVleet because we need to. Because frankly, we don't need to.

You think we'll get a better player than FVV next offseason? If he were available, the Suns would be making a mistake in not pursuing FVV.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You think we'll get a better player than FVV next offseason? If he were available, the Suns would be making a mistake in not pursuing FVV.
But we shouldn’t sign that particular player for the money he will command. IMO There will be more equivalent players next year than this.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But we shouldn’t sign that particular player for the money he will command. IMO There will be more equivalent players next year than this.

Who are you thinking? And can we afford another year where we possibly don’t make a big jump in the standings and start showing Devin this team can be a real contender?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who are you thinking? And can we afford another year where we possibly don’t make a big jump in the standings and start showing Devin this team can be a real contender?

It's a reasonable question but I think there's something to be said for allowing the players the time and opportunity to develop and the team to progress together. We have suffered through some horrible years but I don't think it's a coincidence that during that same stretch we've also suffered through roster turnover the likes I've never seen before.

Sure, there's a chicken and egg argument here but in Booker's 5 seasons he's played with 68 different players. I wouldn't turn down a clear upgrade but I maintain that keeping this group mostly intact is more important than all but a small group of additions would likely be. I think it's all moot anyway, we aren't going to spend any more than we absolutely have to IMO.

And sure, Booker might become disillusioned and start looking elsewhere but if we don't get Covid 19 under full control in fairly short order, I think it's even more likely Sarver might move him voluntarily for financial reasons. And I'm not taking a shot at Robert when I say that. As much as I hate to see it, they might have to make some very tough calls just to stay afloat (Sarver's version of afloat). We all know he's not likely to willingly accept a significant operating loss with no near-term relief in sight.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a reasonable question but I think there's something to be said for allowing the players the time and opportunity to develop and the team to progress together. We have suffered through some horrible years but I don't think it's a coincidence that during that same stretch we've also suffered through roster turnover the likes I've never seen before.

Sure, there's a chicken and egg argument here but in Booker's 5 seasons he's played with 68 different players. I wouldn't turn down a clear upgrade but I maintain that keeping this group mostly intact is more important than all but a small group of additions would likely be. I think it's all moot anyway, we aren't going to spend any more than we absolutely have to IMO.

And sure, Booker might become disillusioned and start looking elsewhere but if we don't get Covid 19 under full control in fairly short order, I think it's even more likely Sarver might move him voluntarily for financial reasons. And I'm not taking a shot at Robert when I say that. As much as I hate to see it, they might have to make some very tough calls just to stay afloat (Sarver's version of afloat). We all know he's not likely to willingly accept a significant operating loss with no near-term relief in sight.

oh my lord Steve... please delete that last bit because it hurt my only recently beating Suns heart to even read that. If Sarver ever traded Book for purely financial reasons, I’d be okay with someone chemically castrating him.

that would flat out kill the franchise forever.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think the same thing when I hear that! I think they should have used BLM2 or BLMTOO, It just sounds better when you say, Black Lives Matter, too. Marketing make it contentious.
I thought about that, but came to this conclusion. The status quo is that White lives matter.

They're not being shot and choked by out-of-control law enforcement officers.

The reaction and cause in these times is that Black lives matter, and that is what needs to be emphasized.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Booker might become disillusioned and start looking elsewhere but if we don't get Covid 19 under full control in fairly short order, I think it's even more likely Sarver might move him voluntarily for financial reasons. And I'm not taking a shot at Robert when I say that. As much as I hate to see it, they might have to make some very tough calls just to stay afloat (Sarver's version of afloat). We all know he's not likely to willingly accept a significant operating loss with no near-term relief in sight.
Not putting any possibility beyond Sarver, if it comes to that, he and his co-investors should sell the Suns and go count their billions.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I can see his fanicial decisions making Booker want to leave but there is no freakin way Sarver dumps him to save money. It would cost the franchise far more than it would save them, the fan base would die.

A related aside, anyone know if max contracts rise and fall with the cap? They're based on a percentage of the cap so if the cap drops 10-15% next year will the guys on max deals take the brunt?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

When are we going to quit giving Sarver an out. He has driven this franchise in the ground. If he can't spend money up to the salary cap (not even asking for more) to at least maintain the franchise and make some minimal improvements then the Suns are in a world of hurt.

He has already sold the G-League team. I can't even believe anyone would entertain the idea of trading Devin Booker.

The NFL is going full speed ahead and even have a plan to share revenue losses over a four year period.

I'm not worried about Sarver's bottom line because he had a tough year.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
When are we going to quit giving Sarver an out. He has driven this franchise in the ground. If he can't spend money up to the salary cap (not even asking for more) to at least maintain the franchise and make some minimal improvements then the Suns are in a world of hurt.

He has already sold the G-League team. I can't even believe anyone would entertain the idea of trading Devin Booker.

The NFL is going full speed ahead and even have a plan to share revenue losses over a four year period.

From everything I have heard it is simply free agency spending that is going to likely suffer right now. That shouldn't have any effect on the players already on the team. Ultimately there is a minimum percentage of the cap that a team has to fill so I don't think we need to be worrying about a Booker trade in the hopes of saving money.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From everything I have heard it is simply free agency spending that is going to likely suffer right now. That shouldn't have any effect on the players already on the team. Ultimately there is a minimum percentage of the cap that a team has to fill so I don't think we need to be worrying about a Booker trade in the hopes of saving money.

I wasn't the one who brought up trading Booker but I felt the need to address it.

Again, I simply want the Suns to use the cap space that is available even if it is slightly reduced.

The Suns do have free agents they need to sign with the money available and options on players like Carter and Payne. Also they need to pay their draft pick and make improvements to fill out the roster.

The Suns had about $20 million in free agency to spend. Whatever part of it is available, I expect them to use it.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I wasn't the one who brought up trading Booker but I felt the need to address it.

Again, I simply want the Suns to use the cap space that is available even if it is slightly reduced.

The Suns do have free agent free agents they need to sign with the money available and options on players like Carter and Payne. Also they need to pay their draft pick and make improvements to fill out the roster.

The Suns had about $20 million in free agency to spend. Whatever part of it is available, I expect them to use it.
If I had to guess the first thing that will likely be reduced is spending over the cap as that will basically be money straight out of the owner's pockets. Hopefully it doesn't stop them from spending up to or close to the cap.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had to guess the first thing that will likely be reduced is spending over the cap as that will basically be money straight out of the owner's pockets. Hopefully it doesn't stop them from spending up to or close to the cap.

I'm not expecting Sarver to exceed the salary cap. Simply do not want to give him an excuse to do less.

Again, the NBA really needs to look at how the NFL plans to spread any loss of income due to the coronavirus over a four year period.

Also let me say, we are dealing with billionaire owners in the NBA.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think you envision a different world than I do. IMO we are in for a very tough year if Biden is elected and it will be much worse if he isn't. I don't expect business as usual or anything even remotely resembling business as usual. I think the league is aware of this and is backing off their dates as a result of the concern and confusion over how this fall and winter will proceed especially with the presidential election pending.

And I could care less about Sarver's bottom line except for how it impacts the team I care about. He has shareholders to provide for and answer to, some of whom rely on the income and their equity in this organization. Keep in mind, too, that if he doesn't spend money on this team, Booker is likely going to force his way out. How thrilled will we be 2 years from now if Devin forces a trade that returns pennies on the dollar for him?

Paul Westphal has always been my favorite player, Devin is a close second, even above our two time MVP winner. I don't know if I'll be able to watch this team if Robert is still the owner and Booker is playing elsewhere. So, I'm not giving Sarver "an out" as you state, I'm trying to look at it realistically (from my perspective). And from my perspective, we are nowhere near out of the woods with this virus and if it goes the way I think it might, owners will be looking to sell billion dollar franchises only to discover there is no market. At that point, they stop being billion dollar franchises.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you envision a different world than I do. IMO we are in for a very tough year if Biden is elected and it will be much worse if he isn't. I don't expect business as usual or anything even remotely resembling business as usual. I think the league is aware of this and is backing off their dates as a result of the concern and confusion over how this fall and winter will proceed especially with the presidential election pending.

And I could care less about Sarver's bottom line except for how it impacts the team I care about. He has shareholders to provide for and answer to, some of whom rely on the income and their equity in this organization. Keep in mind, too, that if he doesn't spend money on this team, Booker is likely going to force his way out. How thrilled will we be 2 years from now if Devin forces a trade that returns pennies on the dollar for him?

Paul Westphal has always been my favorite player, Devin is a close second, even above our two time MVP winner. I don't know if I'll be able to watch this team if Robert is still the owner and Booker is playing elsewhere. So, I'm not giving Sarver "an out" as you state, I'm trying to look at it realistically (from my perspective). And from my perspective, we are nowhere near out of the woods with this virus and if it goes the way I think it might, owners will be looking to sell billion dollar franchises only to discover there is no market. At that point, they stop being billion dollar franchises.

I'm not expecting business as usual but I do expect billion dollar businesses to be able to adapt to downturns in market for whatever reason. That's what large businesses do.

Here is a link to the NFL's four year plan.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-nflpa-reach-agreement-on-covid-19-adjustments-to-cba

The NBA dates are being changed hopefully get get fans back in the stands for next season to increase revenue.

Also it gives additional time for the NBA and NBPA to evaluate the salary cap among other reasons.

I expect Sarver to do what any other billion dollar business does... adapt. If he can't compete he should sell the franchise. I can assure you there are buyers out there. Stockholders should not expect to make a profit every year. They should be in it for the long haul.

Let me say this, because a writer speculates the worst, that doesn't mean it's going to happen. I will give Sarver the benefit of the doubt for the time being but selling the Suns G-League team was not a good indicator.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
After our bubble performance, do you think we're not going to have a jump in the standings? We might not, but I'm almost 100% certain a certain team owner probably thinks so.

I'll admit, there's something about FVV that just doesn't sit with me. I don't know what it is. So that is probably part of my preference to not want to sign him for $30m per.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not expecting business as usual but I do expect billion dollar businesses to be able to adapt to downturns in market for whatever reason. That's what large businesses do.

Here is a link to the NFL's four year plan.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-nflpa-reach-agreement-on-covid-19-adjustments-to-cba

The NBA dates are being changed hopefully get get fans back in the stands for next season to increase revenue.

Also it gives additional time for the NBA and NBPA to evaluate the salary cap among other reasons.

I expect Sarver to do what any other billion dollar business does... adapt. If he can't compete he should sell the franchise. I can assure you there are buyers out there. Stockholders should not expect to make a profit every year. They should be in it for the long haul.

Let me say this, because a writer speculates the worst, that doesn't mean it's going to happen. I will give Sarver the benefit of the doubt for the time being but selling the Suns G-League team was not a good indicator.

My prediction about the future might not be accurate but if it is, we aren't talking about a simply "downturn in the market". As a matter of fact, they've already suffered through something that far outpaces your typical downturn. And having a great business plan means nothing if nothing pans out as you planned. If I were a betting man I'd be putting money down on the NBA losing a few teams. And the NFL is going to be in far worse shape if my view of the future happens.

And as for your assurance that "buyers are out there", I guess we'll see. I have no doubt there will be investors looking for a fire sale but I doubt there are many willing to match the stated value of the organization and it's assets. And that's in today's world, I'm expecting the outlook to get much worse.

I'm not trying to make this political but keep in mind that much of my doom and gloom revolves around what happens in the election and what steps are taken nationally between now and January.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I

And prior to that we let go of a couple of Assistant Coaches with no explanation provided. Rightly or wrongly, I've just assumed that was an early step to reducing expenses. I expect more cost cutting moves and we can only hope it's with an eye to making the franchise more appealing to interested buyers. Glen Taylor is the first possible seller mentioned publicly but I'm confident he won't be the only one looking.