2020 6th round pick is Evan Weaver ILB

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Let's get real for a minute.

Is 40 time the most important skill for an ILB? I would argue its instincts, effort, production and short area quickness vs 40 time. Think 20 yard shuttle and 3 cone.

Below, I have the combine results for 5 NFL MLB/ILB starters (4 are pro bowlers) and Evan Weaver.

Notice the 40 times are all about the same but Evan actually performs at the top in 3 cone and 20 yd shuttle. This shows his short area quickness and combined with his instincts, make him potentially special.

You must be registered for see images attach

There were a lot of people clamoring for these LB free agents this year...take a look at how our guy compares:

In fact, Devin White got a 4.17 in the 20 yd shuttle and did worse in the 3 cone than Weaver (White got a 7.07).

Evan had the 3rd best 20 yd shuttle in the 2020 draft and would have been top 4 in 2016, beating out the rest of the group above (except 1 that didn't test).

Devin Bush (last year #10 overall pick) got a 4.23 and 6.93

Ryan Shazier got a 4.21 and 6.98

Chris Borland a 4.27 and a 7.18

Luke Kuechly (similar instincts IMO) ran a 4.58 40, 4.12, and 6.92. All better but not light years better in the last two. .1 second in both

Last edited:

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yup. Weaver is an above average NFL athlete at ILB. Everyone but mindless dopes realizes that.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Here are those guys college stats (disregard the highlighted area):

Weaver

Martinez

Kwiatkoski

Schobert

Littleton

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
I felt he would get a bad rap athletically, but the numbers just dont bear that out. ILB is so much about short area instincts and toughness why for the life of me dont understand teams trying to convert guys to play the position, it only works if the guy has the instincts to play in a phone booth which most guys dont have.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
awful pick. he is the zach allen of this years draft
The likelihood of 6th round picks making squads are very low. It hard to call it a bad pick. You pick developmental dudes who may have upside and a chance to be something with grooming. If not...it was a 6th round pick.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The likelihood of 6th round picks making squads are very low. It hard to call it a bad pick. You pick developmental dudes who may have upside and a chance to be something with grooming. If not...it was a 6th round pick.
The likelihood is low? Don't 6th round picks pretty routinely make the roster? It might be low for 7th rounders, but I feel like 6th rounders are pretty likely to make the roster.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Needs to get stronger for sure. Fifteen reps is weak. That shouldn't be a problem tho, it can help shed blocks. That's is the only down side I see in this kids, he just want to hit people and he might be a bit crazy on the field. That's a good thing. My son was that way when he played. Mild mannered until he put the helmet on.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Rooting for this kid.

My goodness if this guy was a better athlete he would be top 10.

He is a flippin' football Jedi. Always in the right place, and taking the right steps at the right moment.

We will see, but I am rooting for him.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
A lot to be said for being in the right place at the right time to make stops before a play fully develops. It looks like he did a lot of this.
A LOT.

It got ridiculous after watching some clips and games of his, since I had nothing to do last night.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A LOT.

It got ridiculous after watching some clips and games of his, since I had nothing to do last night.

They used to call this football instincts. Some players have it, some never do.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
was just about to come here to say that. check out his post game interview after ASU beat CAL at home

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

not sure how he will pan out in the NFL, but that's the mentality i want our guys to have on defense. he wants it more than most players want it, that's for sure
He seemed to be all over the place vs ASU last year.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
Shades of Pat Tillman I hope, he wasnt thought of as a great prospect when drafted PROVED every one wrong in Spades

Last edited:

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
At a very bare minimum I see a special teams Demon and that could and should be a very valuable piece on this team I cant remember all of the long returns we have given up over the years resulting in a short field or touchdown for the opponents

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
I have been thinking about Tillman when I look at him, but I was afraid to say it. Glad you said it first.
A clean cut version I always liked PT from the moment he showed up on a cycle with the long hair again as a late round draft pick hardly a chance to make the team but a sense of intensity that was and will always be admired and unrivaled IMHO

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
was just about to come here to say that. check out his post game interview after ASU beat CAL at home

not sure how he will pan out in the NFL, but that's the mentality i want our guys to have on defense. he wants it more than most players want it, that's for sure
Sounds like a future coach to me

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Jesus could you imagine if Patrick Peterson gave that press conference after a loss. Looks like a thug to me. Bad locker room guy

lol

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson