2020 6th round pick is Evan Weaver ILB

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Justin Wilcox, HC Cal Bears.

On Evan Weaver: “Weave, there is just no argument about his production. Weave is a born-to-play middle linebacker. He’s got the demeanor. He’s definitely got a chip on his shoulder — he’s had it for a long time and he’ll always have it. I think that’s kind of got him to where he’s at now.. And he’s a guy that made more tackles than anybody in the country the last two years. You can’t argue with that. As long as he fits into whatever the system that they’re looking for, I think Weave’s going to be a heck of a player for somebody.”

and

Cal Football: Evan Weaver Taken in 6th Round by Arizona Team That Embraces His Approach
You must be registered for see images

Jeff Faraudo

5 minutes ago

You must be registered for see images

The wait was long for Evan Weaver.

The former Cal linebacker, who led the nation in tackles and was named a consensus first-team All-American last fall, finally was chosen by the Arizona Cardinals in the sixth round of the NFL draft on Saturday.

Weaver, a native of Spokane, Wash., was taken with the 202nd overall pick.

To hear Cardinals general manager Steve Keim and head coach Kliff Kingsbury tell it, they grasped the essence of Weaver as soon as they met him in the days leading to the January 25 Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama.

"He's a guy that somehow (is an) over-achiever, however you want to say it. Highly instinctive, smart, tough, competitive. His production speaks for itself," Keim said. "Really, really excited about him. Met him at the Senior Bowl . . . he walked into the room and it was two seconds 'til you realized the saying, `It's better to say whoa than sic 'em.' Chill out a little bit. He's ready to roll and he's a tough guy."

Kingsbury recalled the occasion in vivid detail.

"Like Steve said, when you meet him at the Senior Bowl, he walks into that room and he's on fire and he's ready to hit people in that room. That's how he wakes up and that's how he goes to sleep. That's how you want 'em.

https://www.si.com/college/cal/news/former-cal-star-evan-weaver

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This dude is wound tight. His mother said if he was a firstborn he would have been an only child. Think Ron Wolfley as a linebacker. He is one of those guys that just loves the violence of football.

will be Wolf’s new favorite player.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Keim and KK said that he basically loves to hit people and is a great teammate. I watched the tape and he loves to finish tackles. He will get in for a couple of downs and lets see what he can do.

RockinDaMike

Veteran
Reaction score
This guy seems a little crazy and that’s what I want in a middle linebacker. Like he will sacrifice every thing to get that tackle. Might lead to a short career but you can’t contain a fire like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This guy seems a little crazy and that’s what I want in a middle linebacker. Like he will sacrifice every thing to get that tackle. Might lead to a short career but you can’t contain a fire like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

was just about to come here to say that. check out his post game interview after ASU beat CAL at home

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

not sure how he will pan out in the NFL, but that's the mentality i want our guys to have on defense. he wants it more than most players want it, that's for sure

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So much emphasis being put on his 40 time in his underwear for a position that rarely (if ever) runs 40 yards in a straight line. Short are quickness, mental processing and angles are much more important.

Give me a 4.7 guy with the mental side down over a 4.5 guy who doesn't. The decision making give you half a second.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
was just about to come here to say that. check out his post game interview after ASU beat CAL at home

not sure how he will pan out in the NFL, but that's the mentality i want our guys to have on defense. he wants it more than most players want it, that's for sure

Not sure about the whole package.... But his neck an jawline were made for the NFL. (And disney movies)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The difference between 4.6 and 4.76 is massive.

Think about the difference between a corner who runs a 4.4 and one that is 4.56.
One can stay with receivers, the other is routinely beaten and too slow for the nfl.

Its actually like a footstep or two. This is so patently false, I would assume you've never watched multiple people run the 40 as a race.

A guy who runs a 4.5 40 but takes bad angles and false steps can be slower than a 4.8 guy who takes great angles and no false steps.

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its actually like a footstep or two. This is so patently false, I would assume you've never watched multiple people run the 40 as a race.

A guy who runs a 4.5 40 but takes bad angles and false steps can be slower than a 4.8 guy who takes great angles and no false steps.
+1

LB is a lot about being in the right place and making the right reads to get to the ball. Instinct is key to a good LB.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Those guys don’t exist in the NFL though.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How well Weaver performs will depend on how VJ uses his LB's - It sounds as if Weaver lacks the physical traits to fill the sideline to sideline square up requirements of a MIKE backer but might be perfect as a mobile, handle-your-responsibilities role as one of 2 ILBs.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
He was a beast on special teams at Senior Bowl (just re-watched it).

If you get a 2 down run stopper and a special teams demon in round 6...that is good in my book.

He is not a liability in zone coverage or getting on a RB in the flat but you don't want him 1/1 with a TE.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This dude is wound tight. His mother said if he was a firstborn he would have been an only child. Think Ron Wolfley as a linebacker. He is one of those guys that just loves the violence of football.

will be Wolf’s new favorite player.
His tackles have full speed impact which is a plus to me.

MstrWayne

Reaction score
I just finished watching youtube interviews and play clips on him. All I can say is the man had the most tackles in the nation last season, also the most solo tackles. He has to be doing something right. they said he was second to none other than Luke Kuechly for all time record holder. Weaver might just surprise everyone like he has been doing at every level he has played.

I think he will be the top new player this season that I will be rooting for. He needsw a nickname like Heat (Heat seeking missile)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Those guys don’t exist in the NFL though.

Terrell Suggs BEST 40 time was like a 4.87. I know it's a different position but the point remains that 40 times dont matter as fans make it out.

They do exist in the NFL. When I watch film of Weaver, I see an instinctive, smart player who knows what the offense is trying to do, so hes going to get to his position quickly.

He can be a starter in the NFL. I wouldnt bank on it, but I wont rule it out.

Like I said earlier, hes a better player than Joe Walker and the rest of the ILB depth. The Cardinals got better by drafting him and he should make the team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot to be said for being in the right place at the right time to make stops before a play fully develops. It looks like he did a lot of this.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He was a beast on special teams at Senior Bowl (just re-watched it).

If you get a 2 down run stopper and a special teams demon in round 6...that is good in my book.

He is not a liability in zone coverage or getting on a RB in the flat but you don't want him 1/1 with a TE.

This.

On 3rd and long, we might have an alignment of

Chandler/Dogbe/Kennard

Simmons/Budda

PP/Jalen/Murphy/Deionte/Jones/Alford

This is why depth, and 6th/7th/UDFA players matter so much. There are very few players that play every down.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Check out this, I marked it at 8:58 specifically:

:biglaugh: Kingsbury's reaction to the "knocking the souls out of people" comment is awesome.

Kliff talked about three developments over the course of last year’s offense:
1. His adjustment to personnel (running more)
2. The acquisition of Drake
3. The emergence of Dan Arnold.

I really think Arnold was very unsung. We had lots of RZ struggles early and he’s a very good RZ target. I could see him collecting 5-7 TDs this year.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Kliff talked about three developments over the course of last year’s offense:
1. His adjustment to personnel (running more)
2. The acquisition of Drake
3. The emergence of Dan Arnold.

I really think Arnold was very unsung. We had lots of RZ struggles early and he’s a very good RZ target. I could see him collecting 5-7 TDs this year.
I'm getting Seals-Jones flashbacks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard