Suns @ Jazz Monday game thread 2-24-20

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would not surprise me if Ayton developed into a far better player than Gobert by next season

I agree. They are very close right now and Ayton is still developing. Ayton has more skills.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do too. He really might be my favorite suns player even though it’s kind of irrational.

It's because he's sort of the anti-Oubre. He just tends to make winning plays, so many of them don't even show up in the stats.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
A look at some stats.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
When was the last time we had two players with 10 assists?!?

nice game. Wish the refs hadn’t crushed Ayton with those two quick whistles to start the third. Those were both tough calls.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s time to give Carter the significant back up minutes. You know you are always going to get all out D with that guy.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s time to give Carter the significant back up minutes. You know you are always going to get all out D with that guy.

Carter should be the first guard off the bench. It's not even close.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I saw the first half. For the rest of the game, was it a favorable match-up
that brought Rubio back to life or revenge?

Because if it was revenge, he should be playing that way all of the time.

And I have been supporting him all season as good enough until better comes along.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When was the last time we had two players with 10 assists?!?

nice game. Wish the refs hadn’t crushed Ayton with those two quick whistles to start the third. Those were both tough calls.

I had to leave the room for a second and when I returned Ayton had 4 personal fouls. Luckily it didn't hurt the Suns tonight.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's because he's sort of the anti-Oubre. He just tends to make winning plays, so many of them don't even show up in the stats.

yeah I think that’s it, he just doesn’t make mistakes.

I get mad at pretty much every other suns player for one reason or another, but the worst thing Mikal ever does is miss a shot he is supposed to take.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw the first half. For the rest of the game, was it a favorable match-up
that brought Rubio back to life or revenge?

Because if it was revenge, he should be playing that way all of the time.

And I have been supporting him all season as good enough until better comes along.

I think it was more the rest Rubio received during the All-Star break but it never hurts to play your former team on the road. Also the Suns are finally healthy except for Kaminsky.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Be careful what you wish for!

Carter was great, no argument there. But he was great when he was in the game WITH Rubio. My problem is that if he replaces Rubio in the lineup he won’t be nearly as effective, which really is a ball hounding shooting guard in a point guard body. That’s why he hasn’t outright won that backup PG role.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Carter was great, no argument there. But he was great when he was in the game WITH Rubio. My problem is that if he replaces Rubio in the lineup he won’t be nearly as effective, which really is a ball hounding shooting guard in a point guard body. That’s why he hasn’t outright won that backup PG role.

In preseason he looked good with Tyler Johnson but Tyler Johnson left his game in the preseason. I was hoping Jerome could fill that role when he finally got healthy but that never happened, and I doubt it will. I do think Carter can cover for some of Jerome's limitations on the defensive side of the ball if Jerome ever gets up to NBA speed offensively but I wouldn't bet on that.

I do hope Carter is retained because his defensive intensity is something that can't be taught or coached into a player. Either they have that tenacity or they don't and Carter has it in spades. There isn't a minute he doesn't play hard.

I would like to see the Suns try to get a combo guard to pair with him this offseason. I'm not sure who, I haven't looked at the free agent list in a while, but there has to be someone out there that can mesh with him to form a decent 2nd unit backcourt.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah, they need to build Carter up by playing him with Rubio or Booker. I know they can't have one of the 2 out there at all times, but they need to limit it as much as possible.

I especially don't like the mid 1st quarter change where Okobo comes in, to a game that we are typically leading or even, and we proceed to promptly fall apart. Bring in Carter there. The Booker/Okobo thing isn't working at all. Okobo seems to never know what to do with the ball or who to defend.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With this win, #24 on the season, the Suns have tied with the 2016-17 Suns for the most wins since Booker has been in the league. That was Earl Watson's 1st full season as coach and they went 24-58. They won their 24th game in the 2nd to last game, April 9th, at home against the Mavericks. With 1 more win they'll get to the best finish since 2014-15 when they went 39-44.

What was the Vegas over/under? 29.5? It's almost like they knew Ayton would get suspended because if he hadn't, I think we'd have hit that by now. That's not just predicting he would have helped turn 5 early losses into wins so much as he would have helped turn a couple of those into wins and then some of the later issues with injuries wouldn't have been as bad and they wouldn't have had to try working him back into things in late December when everyone was else was hitting their stride. Oh well. I'm glad we're at the point that it can't be debated by record whether this team has improved upon last season or not because they've improved on the last 3 seasons based on record alone.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Didn't get to watch this game but wow 43 points from the bench today! It usually takes them 4 or 5 games to score that much

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
my god...i'll say it again and again, okobo is awful...and still comes off the bench first. Just roll with point-Book and get some defensive help from Carter. Carter can also do other things like make 3's or a layup. I'm not sure what the deal is still with the backup guards, Tyler was a castaway to start the season as is Carter, but Carter just never gives up on D. He was hounding Conley and after a while Conely didn't want the ball anymore.

Oubre, whats with all the fumbles, i think he had 2 this time? He picked up a stupid T again, it was the same ref all night making bad calls as Gobert clearly stuck out forearms into his chest.

1st quarter, Ayton actually backed up Gobert with a back and forth pivot move and got the hoop, never seen that before especially against a dpoy.

Booker and Rubio still have to work out some timing issues with Ayton for those lobs.
I was amazed how much love the jazz fans showed rubio, they even had some video playing. And did you notice the boos Conley was getting due to his mistakes.

Ingles and Bogdanovic have two of the most punchable faces in the league.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watching that game during the first half it seemed obvious to me that we were the better team. I was shocked we remained as close as we did with the officiating the way it was. It was as bad as I have seen it btw. I am not one to complain about officiating much but that looked like a game the officials were purposefully trying to manipulate. They finally gave up trying in the second half.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Always good win suns manage to beat a playoff team!!

Good to ayton with a decent gm and rubio played well!!

Been fun was basketball latst week suns and asu ballin!!!

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Bogdan is such a flopper. Instigates the contact and cries like a wuss. Refs reward him. Bull.