Michael Bidwill Talks Steve Keim, Hard Knocks And International Games

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Michael Bidwill isn't unaware of the criticism facing his general manager, but the Cardinals' chairman and president said Wednesday he had plenty of reasons to like the job Steve Keim has been doing for his team.

"He just picked a Rookie of the Year (in Kyler Murray)," Bidwill said during an extended interview on Arizona's Sports 98.7 FM. "He had a lot to do with hiring Kliff Kingsbury. He's done a lot of things right. I feel like we've certainly turned, and for as much as the Cardinals are going in the right direction, Steve Keim deserves a lot of credit for that. I hope fans realize that was a lot of his decision-making."

-- Bidwill also addressed a handful of player situations that need resolving this offseason. He said the Cardinals would like to bring back left tackle D.J. Humphries, who is scheduled to become a free agent, and did note the team has the franchise tag as an option.

He said it was a "positive" Drake decided to change his Twitter avatar to a photo of the running back wearing a Cardinals uniform, and reiterated it was a great job to get him and it worked out well. As for bringing back the free-agent-to-be, "it takes two people to make a deal, and there are a lot of moving parts."

As for running back David Johnson, who is under contract, Bidwill said he'd like to see Johnson revert to the form that made him so special in 2015 and 2016 on the field, while praising Johnson's off the field work in the community. Bidwill deferred to Keim when it came to the idea the Cardinals might move on from Johnson. "He's a member of the organization just like anyone else under contract," Bidwill added.

-- Bidwill did say the Cardinals have cap room, but there are contract extensions with the team's own players than may eat up a chunk of that prior to the opening of free agency, and Bidwill said he hoped there would be "some more" extensions done at some point following the extension to Fitzgerald.

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/mi...teve-keim-hard-knocks-and-international-games

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
As for bringing back (Drake) the free-agent-to-be, "it takes two people to make a deal, and there are a lot of moving parts."

Translation, we’re not spending much on him? And right now he wants more than we want to spend?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like there's a ton of optimism in bringing Kenyan Drake back. It'll be something interesting to watch play out.

I have a feeling that no matter what, Drake wants to see what the market has to offer.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
could’ve done without the assignment of blame for the helicopter crash. I’m sure the pilot has family and friends that are grieving. I guess we are just always going to be a finger-pointing society.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
could’ve done without the assignment of blame for the helicopter crash. I’m sure the pilot has family and friends that are grieving. I guess we are just always going to be a finger-pointing society.

Well, it's not like he offered the answer out of the blue...He was asked about it. And it's not necessarily finger pointing...but he did "point" out that the vast majority of air travel accidents are due to pilot error.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's done well because he picked Kyler? He had the 1st pick in the draft. Either way he went, Kyler or Bosa which were the two clear choices he would have had rookie of the year. You have to be exceptionally bad to get the #1 pick wrong.

I noticed he didn't mention any more of his top of every round draft picks.

And "he had a big part in Kliff Kingsbury". He should have all the parts in Kliff Kingsbury as the GM. The fact the first thing Mike did was thanking Accorsi and A-Dub was probably shows where the Kliff decision came from.

CardinalCovfefe

Veteran
Reaction score
As for bringing back (Drake) the free-agent-to-be, "it takes two people to make a deal, and there are a lot of moving parts."

Translation, we’re not spending much on him? And right now he wants more than we want to spend?

Not sure how you came up with your interpretation.

The "moving parts" are David Johnson and his contract, and which are the best options for dealing with what looks now to be a mistake, how much interest there is in Drake by other teams in the league, and other RB's that will be available in FA and the draft. It's way too early to even know what he wants or what the Cards would be willing to spend.
One thing we DO know is Drake wants to be a starter and will want as much as he can get. DJ, IMO, forced the team's hand with his uninspiring efforts. KK and KM needed a semblance of an actual running game in order to operate the offense, and DJ did not appear to be able to provide that. DK did.
I know everyone is well aware of all that, but it's just another added layer to the "moving parts" that has to eventually get ironed out.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
We're going to sign Humphries/Drake to overmarket contracts and have little left to spend to improve a roster full of holes. Go Keim!

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Soo...

Remember all those times I said that discussing firing Keim was an exercise in futility?

Confirmed: He isn't getting fired any time soon.
Because the only people calling for his job are the know-nothings on this board. I get the people who think he should be gone over the dui. I don’t necessarily agree or disagree on that part. Production-wise though, keeping him is a no-brainer.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's done well because he picked Kyler? He had the 1st pick in the draft. Either way he went, Kyler or Bosa which were the two clear choices he would have had rookie of the year. You have to be exceptionally bad to get the #1 pick wrong.

I noticed he didn't mention any more of his top of every round draft picks.

And "he had a big part in Kliff Kingsbury". He should have all the parts in Kliff Kingsbury as the GM. The fact the first thing Mike did was thanking Accorsi and A-Dub was probably shows where the Kliff decision came from.
And why did he have the 1st pick? Because MB forced the worst coaching staff in football on him.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Production-wise though, keeping him is a no-brainer.

You act like his record of production is something to be beating your chest over, which is somewhere beyond laughable - post Palmer, Keim has been a horrible GM. The last 4 years the Cards have averaged less than 6 wins a season, and have been completely irrelevant. Check the stands at any home games if you have any question as to whether or not people still believe in the direction of the team.

Please tell me about all of his production. In the draft? Where are the hits? In FA, where is all of this production? Who is the core of this team?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And why did he have the 1st pick? Because MB forced the worst coaching staff in football on him.

So, as the GM with an owner fully backing him, he had no hand in Wilks, McCoy, Bradford, etc.? Gimme a break.

Everyone who tries to be pro-Keim pushes a narrative that he had zero to do with the hiring of Wilks...that it was a coaching staff that was forced on him. Ridiculous.

Before Wilks was hired:

You must be registered for see images attach

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't agree with MB. I don't want more regular season games and am happy at 16.

I am no longer a season ticket holder, but I would think that ticket holders would love a 17th game that is a regular game, if it removes one of the preseason games. One less preseason game you have to pay full price for.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am no longer a season ticket holder, but I would think that ticket holders would love a 17th game that is a regular game, if it removes one of the preseason games. One less preseason game you have to pay full price for.
I am a season ticket holder and hate being stuck with paying for 2 meaningless preseason games.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
If you up the games you have to do 18. There’s zero chance a team will be willing to have more away games than another team in their division.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Here is the thing. If Drake wants to be one of the top 5 RBs in the NFL, it would cost about 10 mil per year and we aren't going to pay that. If Drake is ok with being the 10th highest paid RB, that would put him around 5.5 mil and the Cardinals will totally pay that. They might even be willing to add more guaranteed if he keeps the overall cost down per year.

So, if Drake is willing to take 4 yrs totaling 22 mil with 14 guaranteed up front, he probably stays a Cardinal.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson