If Kyler Murray were to have a career like Tony Romo or Philip Rivers, how would you feel?

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
At season pace Kyler will put up about 3750 yards, 18 TD's passing, 11 picks 5 TD's rushing. At his more recent pace the yards go down the picks go up(so do the TD's though).

Alex Smith didn't get 18 TD passes until his 4th season and only topped 20 3 times in his career. Where Alex got really good after a terrible start was protecting the ball he was basically more than 2 to 1 TD to INT most of his career AFTER his first 5 years.

So Kyler is way ahead of where Smith was at the same stage but who knows where he'll end up. Kyler has 4 rushing TD's, Smiths' career high was 5 and he had 15 in his entire career so it would appear Kyler is going to be better there.

I get the idea the short passing protect the ball part is similar but at least comparing year 1, it took Smith until year 4 to put up comparable or better numbers. Alex was on a horrible team, but so is Kyler.
Kyler is showing he can be better than Alex Smith, he looks like a good QBoF but many can look good in the first season (RGIII) and some don't look great till the 2nd Season or looke garbage 2 Seasons look good 1 season and then look garbage again till the Cards resurrct them (Goff) but overall, for me Kyler should be better than Goff and JimmyG and probably has a chance to sniff Wilson or maybe top him as a QB, but our surrounding cast, isn't even as good as the worst of Wilsons casts.

So basically we have a Rookie QB that isn't bad. Point being, would I be happy with Rivers numbers, numbers seasonwise yes, but not postseason. So Rivers is an underachiever in the postseason and that is known. I want finally a SB and with that said, yes with a Rivers like performance overall I would be disappointed.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler is showing he can be better than Alex Smith, he looks like a good QBoF but many can look good in the first season (RGIII) and some don't look great till the 2nd Season or looke garbage 2 Seasons look good 1 season and then look garbage again till the Cards resurrct them (Goff) but overall, for me Kyler should be better than Goff and JimmyG and probably has a chance to sniff Wilson or maybe top him as a QB, but our surrounding cast, isn't even as good as the worst of Wilsons casts.

So basically we have a Rookie QB that isn't bad. Point being, would I be happy with Rivers numbers, numbers seasonwise yes, but not postseason. So Rivers is an underachiever in the postseason and that is known. I want finally a SB and with that said, yes with a Rivers like performance overall I would be disappointed.

RG3 is tough though a HOF offensive coach calling plays for him(Mike Shanahan). 20 td 5 picks 800 yards rushing on a team that was so good running the ball Alfred Morris had 1600 yards! Griffin saw defenses all year stacked to play the run so the play action bootleg etc was wide open. Terrific design, but he was taking big hits all the time I spent his entire rookie year saying this is not sustainable, Shanahan is a genius but you can't get hit this much in the NFL and last. The dropoff to year 2 was clear and then after that off a cliff he couldn't stay healthy and couldn't get on the field consistently because teams weren't going to tweak their entire offense that much. Shanahan did the same thing with Plummer in Denver, but he eventually came to the conclusion I can never win it all with a guy who requires this much "trick stuff" I need to be able to at times just line up and throw the ball from the pocket to keep defenses honest and I can't do that with Plummer(RG3) so he went and got a new QB both times.

Kyler is playing in a distinct offense but part of that is the constant shifting from empty backfield all the time to 3 TE regularly etc. We're changing every few games in that regard. The terminology etc is what he knew from college, but the actual offense IMO is not, it's evolving all the time.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Fine.

Please answer my question though. Would Kyler, despite you hearing all the mega praise he has received, followed the the same trajectory as Philip Rivers, aka, no big accomplishments, wouldn’t be a letdown/disappointment?
I would take a Phillip Rives career. That would be him exceeding my expectations.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
At season pace Kyler will put up about 3750 yards, 18 TD's passing, 11 picks 5 TD's rushing. At his more recent pace the yards go down the picks go up(so do the TD's though).

Alex Smith didn't get 18 TD passes until his 4th season and only topped 20 3 times in his career. Where Alex got really good after a terrible start was protecting the ball he was basically more than 2 to 1 TD to INT most of his career AFTER his first 5 years.

So Kyler is way ahead of where Smith was at the same stage but who knows where he'll end up. Kyler has 4 rushing TD's, Smiths' career high was 5 and he had 15 in his entire career so it would appear Kyler is going to be better there.

I get the idea the short passing protect the ball part is similar but at least comparing year 1, it took Smith until year 4 to put up comparable or better numbers. Alex was on a horrible team, but so is Kyler.
I get your point, but it is also a different NFL than 14 years ago. So, probably a clarifying point is that I expect Kyler's top level of play to be like Alex Smith did in KC. (yes, I understand Alex Smith is older)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure what 3rd rounders you think should be top 6 in all time statistics at their position.

Also, Marino played nearly 20 more games than Rivers has, and is still within the realm of getting overtaken at those key metrics.

Rivers was the 4th pick technically, but went to the #1 overall team within an hour of being drafted. I just fail to understand the disrespect here. It’s not all a stats game, but it’s intense to rip on him as much as you do. He’d be the best player in most teams’ histories at his position.

I think the disrespect is what he showed to Moon. Moon was a better QB by most measures. I fully believe that if he were white, he wouldn't have been relegated to the CFL and would have most of the all time stats... even though he 'likes' Moon.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

people are STILL saying this?! Wilson is one of, if not the best QB in the game and will be an easy HOFer. I understand believing right now that we've seen enough from Kyler to have a solid base of hope that he'll be a good QB, maybe even very good, but that he'll probably be better than a first ballot HOFer? Come on.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
people are STILL saying this?! Wilson is one of, if not the best QB in the game and will be an easy HOFer. I understand believing right now that we've seen enough from Kyler to have a solid base of hope that he'll be a good QB, maybe even very good, but that he'll probably be better than a first ballot HOFer? Come on.
Am I unblocked yet?

:p

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get your point, but it is also a different NFL than 14 years ago. So, probably a clarifying point is that I expect Kyler's top level of play to be like Alex Smith did in KC. (yes, I understand Alex Smith is older)

Yeah there's more passing today, better numbers. I think there were 10-11 guys over 20 Td's in 05 when Smith was a rookie, there's going to be 15-18 this year probably. I just think people have to remember how bad Smith was early in his career 1 TD 12 picks as a rookie, 54 QBs in the NFL threw more TD passes than Smith that year including someone named Quinn Gray, who in 15 attempts had 2 TD's to Smith's 1 in 165. Alex was REALLY bad that year.

If he gets to the level Smith was in KC that'd be good.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yeah there's more passing today, better numbers. I think there were 10-11 guys over 20 Td's in 05 when Smith was a rookie, there's going to be 15-18 this year probably. I just think people have to remember how bad Smith was early in his career 1 TD 12 picks as a rookie, 54 QBs in the NFL threw more TD passes than Smith that year including someone named Quinn Gray, who in 15 attempts had 2 TD's to Smith's 1 in 165. Alex was REALLY bad that year.

If he gets to the level Smith was in KC that'd be good.
I think I would be disappointed, but also happy we would be competitive.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wilson? The guy that merly had over 4000 yards twice in his career and will probably not get over it again this year?
Yeah Wilson is good, but he lives within a good run offense and most of the time a good to great defense. He isn't good enough to bring them a SB without a D to speak off, he lost them one.

Matt Ryan has the better statsline as a QB, gosh even Lamar Jackson in two years figures out to have a better stats line. For me Wilson is still not better than other QB that aren't carrying your team. He isn't, because every season since he is in Seattle, as long as the D plays good, they win, if the D struggles Wilson can't win. Rivers has more yardage per game, better completition %, same TD/G, a bit more INT/game a bit less FB per games, less rushing yards, 1 sack per game less. And River never had a dominant D in his time.

So by that, and knowing who won the SB for Wilson, Wilson is more a Trent Dilfer than a Drew Brees or Kurt Warner and so on.

Till Wilson, doesn't put his team on his shoulder and win it with a mediocre D against a good team, I'm not inclined to hype him as a All-time great. In fact, since the Legion of Boom was disbanned, the post season is something that was very flukie and there was no NFC Championship since then. For now, Wilson won a SB like Flacco, and we have to wait and see if Wilson will be that great if he gets slower, but that problem is with any mobile QB.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Wilson? The guy that merly had over 4000 yards twice in his career and will probably not get over it again this year?
Yeah Wilson is good, but he lives within a good run offense and most of the time a good to great defense. He isn't good enough to bring them a SB without a D to speak off, he lost them one.

Matt Ryan has the better statsline as a QB, gosh even Lamar Jackson in two years figures out to have a better stats line. For me Wilson is still not better than other QB that aren't carrying your team. He isn't, because every season since he is in Seattle, as long as the D plays good, they win, if the D struggles Wilson can't win. Rivers has more yardage per game, better completition %, same TD/G, a bit more INT/game a bit less FB per games, less rushing yards, 1 sack per game less. And River never had a dominant D in his time.

So by that, and knowing who won the SB for Wilson, Wilson is more a Trent Dilfer than a Drew Brees or Kurt Warner and so on.

Till Wilson, doesn't put his team on his shoulder and win it with a mediocre D against a good team, I'm not inclined to hype him as a All-time great. In fact, since the Legion of Boom was disbanned, the post season is something that was very flukie and there was no NFC Championship since then. For now, Wilson won a SB like Flacco, and we have to wait and see if Wilson will be that great if he gets slower, but that problem is with any mobile QB.

You should look up the 49ers defensive ranks the years Montana won SB. Then do the same thing with Brady. Teams win SB’s, not single players. Wilson is a monster.