Kool-Aid Time

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
It’s always challenging to predict the first game of the season. This year with the offensive secrecy its even more of a challenge. So most of my focus will be on the Lions. Starting with offense, the Lions hope to have a running game. Last season Kerryon Johnson was outstanding until injured. They’ve shielded him in the preseason but they expect a return to prominence. Of course the Cards expected DJ to rebound last season but that doesn’t always happen. Cards’ preseason weakness in this aspect makes this an unknown area. Like most teams if the Lions can’t run they’ll be hard pressed to win. Their passing game will be improved. First round pick Hockenson gives them a weapon at tight end. The Cards historically can’t cover tight ends. If you follow my pre-draft info you already know how I feel about Golladay. I wanted the Cards to get him. He’s a handful. The Cards don’t have a CB that can cover him. Expect frequent safety help unless Swearinger has to always be in run support.

The real hope here is the questionable nature of the Lions’ O-Line. They looked vulnerable in preseason. The Cards will need all the pass rush they can muster. Stafford can be rattled if the Cards can get to him often. I expect the Cards to have to put quite a few points on the board to win, maybe 30+.

Of course I’ve written previously what I expect from the offense, but it’s time for the secrecy to end and to see what the Cards have. The Lions have a weak defense but invested in a good outside rusher in Flowers and a decent inside rusher in Daniels. I don’t expect the O-line to do well against this rush. That means we’ll quickly find out if the Cards’ faith that Murray can elude a rush is well placed. I expect them to roll out Murray if they want to avoid injury. If they try to leave him in the pocket, especially expecting Edmonds to protect him, Murray will be lucky to survive the game. Detroit’s secondary has been vulnerable to normal passing games, if they start seeing 4 or 5 receivers there will be open targets.

It’s a fairly straight forward situation. Outscore them and, of course, you win. I’ll bite. Cards 34-27.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Harry, your analysis is right on. My advice to bettors is to stay away, far away, from this game. And if you must pick it, flip a coin. Your point about Edmonds being a liability in pass pro seems accurate, so I'm guessing that Foster, who is not a big guy, but blocked pretty well in the PS. And that is why he beat out Logan for the 3rd RB.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Love it.

5 sacks. We need 5 sacks of Stafford on Sunday combined with Byron showing the world he was and is ready for an outside starters role.

K2 slipped up a bit this week when he said that he had 10 years of tape to look at. He immediately corrected himself but the cat was let out of the bag IMO.

Motion, movement, and misdirection. I think it will be very exciting to watch!

unless it all goes to #PoopEmoji and we get manhandled on both sides of the ball. then our corners get exposed and we go into desperation mode.

:stick:

Lots to be on the lookout for!

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Love it.

5 sacks. We need 5 sacks of Stafford on Sunday combined with Byron showing the world he was and is ready for an outside starters role.

K2 slipped up a bit this week when he said that he had 10 years of tape to look at. He immediately corrected himself but the cat was let out of the bag IMO.

unless it all goes to #PoopEmoji and we get manhandled on both sides of the ball. then our corners get exposed and we go into desperation mode.

Not going to happen.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Detroits D might be in worse shape than the Cards in terms of guys unable to go:

Hand- DL, Davis-ILB, Melvin-CB, Flowers-DE all questionable

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love it.

lol

he slipped by saying people can watch his college tape? I dont think that is any new information

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My biggest concern is the Cardinals run defense. If the Lions establish the run and they are getting 5-6 yards per carry, the Cardinals are doomed this season. The Cardinals cannot have another season like last year where teams ran the ball at will against them.

On the offensive side of the ball I think the Cardinals will be up and down this weekend as Murray gets his feet wet. I expect that they will move the ball pretty well between the 20s but bog down in the red zone. Could be a very productive day for Zane Gonzalez. I'm thinking 4 field goals and 2 TDs for the Cardinals offense.

A win would be nice but I'm not expecting it at this point. What I do want to see is the Cardinals be competitive and still in the game come the 4th quarter. I really would like to see the Cards stuff the run on defense and force the Lions to become one dimensional.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
lol

he slipped by saying people can watch his college tape? I dont think that is any new information
Yeah..... I think our regular season tape will be similar to his college tape. Much more so than his damn preseason tape was. Did anyone motion on the first team offense in August?

Why the heck would he dump the girl that brought him to the dance? Dance with what got you there in the first place.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What I worry about is Detroit uncovering and attacking our weakness so that we have to adjust - & they can then attack our adjustment.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's all or nothing

as I stated on another thread

If the Cards are blown out by the 3rd quarter - season is over
if the Cards lose in the 4th - no big deal
if the Cardinals win - everyone will have their eyes on AZ
if the Cardinals blow out the Lions it'll be Kool Aid and Super Bowl tattoos

With the O line and D line essentially unchanged I'm not expecting anything other than the Cards getting killed unless Murray and KK are a god send for this organization

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It's all or nothing

as I stated on another thread

If the Cards are blown out by the 3rd quarter - season is over
if the Cards lose in the 4th - no big deal
if the Cardinals win - everyone will have their eyes on AZ
if the Cardinals blow out the Lions it'll be Kool Aid and Super Bowl tattoos

With the O line and D line essentially unchanged I'm not expecting anything other than the Cards getting killed unless Murray and KK are a god send for this organization

LOL. Fans are delusional. I listened to three national NFL podcasts this week that said that they were actively avoiding watching this game.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
If there ever was a time to drink the Kool ,Aid Cards vs Lions is it ! The Cardinals will win this game by double digits ! Yes you heard it here from Ol Jim Otis Go Cards !

The Cardinal offense will move the ball but bog down in the red zone. This I think will change and get better as the season progresses, but I see them having a lot of yards and little points to show in correlation to the numbers. I think it's possible we lose to the Lions 27-13, with Kyler still having his share of wow plays... yes, you heard it from your teammate ol' Roy Green, hope I'm wrong lol

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The Cardinal offense will move the ball but bog down in the red zone. This I think will change and get better as the season progresses, but I see them having a lot of yards and little points to show in correlation to the numbers. I think it's possible we lose to the Lions 27-13, with Kyler still having his share of wow plays... yes, you heard it from your teammate ol' Roy Green, hope I'm wrong lol

I think Kyler will just run it in if the passes aren't there in the red zone.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I think Kyler will just run it in if the passes aren't there in the red zone.

He might score a TD like that. I also see a team now which might not be able to run the ball or stop the run which is going to play hell with any rhythm an offense like this needs as they get less field to play with... we are lacking in the trenches

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The standard scale of embarrassment for a season opener is last years game 1 against Redskins. Can this year's Cardinals float above it or under it in the game 1?

The fan in me picked Cardinals to win in yahoo pickem!

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The standard scale of embarrassment for a season opener is last years game 1 against Redskins. Can this year's Cardinals float above it or under it in the game 1?

The fan in me picked Cardinals to win in yahoo pickem!

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
So did I.

I think that even with a bad run defense, home field advantage is going to mean something. The Lions don't travel, and even with a beaten-down Cardinals fan base, hopefully it'll be noisy.