2019 6th round pick is KeeSean Johnson WR

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whoever said Frank Sanders-like was spot on. Similar kind of build.

40 time is literally the most overrated drill for RBs and receivers. Quite a few slower guys who've been monsters.

i think 4.60 is not a bad time at all for a possession receiver
40 yard dash require a specif training cause the start is in a 3 point stance, a receiver doesnt start in that position prior of the snap
more important is about being smooth, having fluid hip movements in order to make fast direction changes, taking the right angles

johnson seems to have all of this and he can gain enough separation with that skills despite being 0.05 slower then the wr average speed

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think KeeSean is going to fill the void that Jaron Brown had before he left via Free Agency. I believe that Johnson will be that possession receiver who always seems to make those key 3rd down conversions that Jaron Brown used to make.

I’m telling you all, this kid is going to be a major contributor this year even though he is a rookie. Can’t wait to see him in an actual game.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Keim just mentioned him as the player to watch this training camp outside Murray of course. "And I'm going to prove it to you"is ringing in my head right now.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cardinals did do a private workout with him, must have liked what they saw. I am little surprised by 3 WRs, what will they carry on the roster 6?
Unofficial scuttlebutt speculating as many as 8*

* Urban points out that KK used as many as 8 receivers as a college coach, but would probably suit 5 or 6 in the pros. I think the number will be more (& he may steal one or two roster spots from his TE list - just a gut feeling).

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been watching for a rookie to stand out come preseason as a late draft sleeper in fantasy football. I thought it was going to be isabella but it is starting to look like this guy could be the guy. The preseason games will tell us more.

I am confident in DJ round one and taking Murray as soon as QBs start getting taken. All my league is in AZ so Murray may get drafted real early and I am tempted to be the onoe who drafts him early. Could spell a championship or derail my whole season but the odds are he will put up rushing yards, rushing touchdowns and be above mediocre in the air.

For WRs, its tough, I feel like the ball will be spread around too much to rely on an AZ WR. But as a #3, fitz or kirk would be solid. If not, a sleeper between johnson and isabella at the end of the draft would be useful.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Been watching for a rookie to stand out come preseason as a late draft sleeper in fantasy football. I thought it was going to be isabella but it is starting to look like this guy could be the guy. The preseason games will tell us more.

I am confident in DJ round one and taking Murray as soon as QBs start getting taken. All my league is in AZ so Murray may get drafted real early and I am tempted to be the onoe who drafts him early. Could spell a championship or derail my whole season but the odds are he will put up rushing yards, rushing touchdowns and be above mediocre in the air.

For WRs, its tough, I feel like the ball will be spread around too much to rely on an AZ WR. But as a #3, fitz or kirk would be solid. If not, a sleeper between johnson and isabella at the end of the draft would be useful.
Sounds like KSJ is the real deal - except: Is he fast enough to get the job done in this offense? That's what Camp is for. We'll see.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
OK, because this is apparently who I am on this board now, let's be careful not to overhype Johnson by counting his strengths twice. Johnson, coming into the draft, was a guy who won by running very clean routes to offset his mediocre athleticism. Now, in camp, we shouldn't get too hyped that he is running very clean routes which offsets his mediocre athleticism. (consider that I also really liked the pick of Johnson in the draft).

Now, to my irrationally hyped views. I love our wide receiving corp this year. Not that it is going to blow up, but that we have a tremendous group of young WRs who appear to want to be great at their craft and do a nice variety of different things. Kirk is way more versatile than I thought he would be. Johnson seems like he should take over the big-slot role from Fitz moving forward. Isabella might be able to be a gadget player along with providing another vertical option and RAC option. Butler seems very raw, but also a big body who can be a threat in the red zone as a blocker and as a receiver. He also has plus athleticism which hopefully can translate onto the field. And, they are all super-cheap which is great to paid with a cheap, young QB.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OK, because this is apparently who I am on this board now, let's be careful not to overhype Johnson by counting his strengths twice. Johnson, coming into the draft, was a guy who won by running very clean routes to offset his mediocre athleticism. Now, in camp, we shouldn't get too hyped that he is running very clean routes which offsets his mediocre athleticism. (consider that I also really liked the pick of Johnson in the draft).

Now, to my irrationally hyped views. I love our wide receiving corp this year. Not that it is going to blow up, but that we have a tremendous group of young WRs who appear to want to be great at their craft and do a nice variety of different things. Kirk is way more versatile than I thought he would be. Johnson seems like he should take over the big-slot role from Fitz moving forward. Isabella might be able to be a gadget player along with providing another vertical option and RAC option. Butler seems very raw, but also a big body who can be a threat in the red zone as a blocker and as a receiver. He also has plus athleticism which hopefully can translate onto the field. And, they are all super-cheap which is great to paid with a cheap, young QB.
I am hyped because our receiving core is worlds better than last years....at least on paper.:cool:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am hyped because our receiving core is worlds better than last years....at least on paper.:cool:
They only had 2 WRs that were legit on the roster last year. And one got hurt! Rosen had only 1 WR at the end of the year to throw to, and TE was non-existant.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I think the tempering of expectations isnt really necessary.

We've all been through the expectations game over the years and few of us actually think any of these rookies will be productive this year or likely ever.

WR is actually a position where elite athleticism is really nice to have but not necessary. There about a dozen guys during the modern era who became stars that weren't viewed as elite athletes. Route running is so important. And after that, hands. And then after that, the ability to see the field which leads to seeing lanes to run in the open field.

KJ has a leg up in the other young guys because hes already pretty good at the first thing a receiver has to do to be successful.

What's crazy is that I was liking Trent Sherfield at the end of last year and thought he could be a #3 going forward.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think the tempering of expectations isnt really necessary.

We've all been through the expectations game over the years and few of us actually think any of these rookies will be productive this year or likely ever.

WR is actually a position where elite athleticism is really nice to have but not necessary. There about a dozen guys during the modern era who became stars that weren't viewed as elite athletes. Route running is so important. And after that, hands. And then after that, the ability to see the field which leads to seeing lanes to run in the open field.

KJ has a leg up in the other young guys because hes already pretty good at the first thing a receiver has to do to be successful.

What's crazy is that I was liking Trent Sherfield at the end of last year and thought he could be a #3 going forward.
Consider that at the NFL level, creating separation is what is most important for WRs. Johnson created separation in college by running great routes. He may not be able to do the same at the NFL level. Running great routes as a NFL WR does not guarantee separation in the NFL like it does in college.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Johnson because he seems to be a guy who can be a pro WR which a QB can depend on. I do not expect him to be a Pro Bowl sort of a guy but if you look at our WRs right now, a guy like Johnson would be a blessing because at the moment I still only have faith in Fitz and Kirk and holding out that Kevin White can just be half the talent he suggested in the draft

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Consider that at the NFL level, creating separation is what is most important for WRs. Johnson created separation in college by running great routes. He may not be able to do the same at the NFL level. Running great routes as a NFL WR does not guarantee separation in the NFL like it does in college.

In my training camp report from Friday I mentioned that PP was stuck on all the WRs like glue. Then just as I posted it, KeeSean ran a perfect route on Peterson and Murray delivered him the ball for a nice 20 yard gain.

This is what will separate Johnson from someone like Chad Williams. During that same practice, the WRs were practicing out routes. Chad Williams ran the ugliest out route of all the WRs. Yes Williams has really good size and speed. However that doesn't matter because he runs sloppy routes.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Sounds like KeeSean is the early front-runner for the 2019 Stephen Williams Training Camp Champion Award

Lol.. nice.

I remember only one time when training hype actually translated into great games-that-count production. Can anyone guess? I'll give some hints:

1. Was also a WR.
2. This person was a fairly unheralded rookie as well.
3. It was quite some time ago.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson