2019 6th round pick is KeeSean Johnson WR

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I believe you’re making a mistake if you write this guy off as just another camp fluke. I’ve been wrong before but I have a very high confidence level on this one. Here’s part of my evaluation from draft day,
“This guy won’t drop balls. His catch radius is unreal. It’s weird but I’ve never seen a team focus on that aspect but the Cards have it. Johnson makes highlight reel catches especially in the red zone. He is not fast or even a great athlete by combine measurables but he has the best receiver instincts in the draft. He seems to mostly be open but if he’s not he’s like a Fitz, he just takes the ball away from the defender. So throw it anyway. He has it all. He highpoints balls, he catches 1 handed and he knows how to use his body to screen off defenders. He’s not as strong but he’s like Boldin in style of play. You’ll love this guy. He makes the game exciting.”.
If you have a subscription to the Athletic (really worth it) I’m guessing today’s article sparked this attention. Nobody replaces Fitz when the time comes but this guy will make some plays.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I believe you’re making a mistake if you write this guy off as just another camp fluke. I’ve been wrong before but I have a very high confidence level on this one. Here’s part of my evaluation from draft day,
“This guy won’t drop balls. His catch radius is unreal. It’s weird but I’ve never seen a team focus on that aspect but the Cards have it. Johnson makes highlight reel catches especially in the red zone. He is not fast or even a great athlete by combine measurables but he has the best receiver instincts in the draft. He seems to mostly be open but if he’s not he’s like a Fitz, he just takes the ball away from the defender. So throw it anyway. He has it all. He highpoints balls, he catches 1 handed and he knows how to use his body to screen off defenders. He’s not as strong but he’s like Boldin in style of play. You’ll love this guy. He makes the game exciting.”.
If you have a subscription to the Athletic (really worth it) I’m guessing today’s article sparked this attention. Nobody replaces Fitz when the time comes but this guy will make some plays.
Usually camp stars are big athletic guys that are just getting by on physical ability. That does not seem to be the case with Johnson however as he is getting by with his route running and catching skills. Obviously not a guarantee it translates to regular season games, but it may be reason for optimism.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That old saw about "combine forty times being the most overrated...etc. etc. has an element of truth, but shouldn't be applied universally:

I believe there is a threshhold of speed (or lack thereof) that enables DB's to stick with their man in coverage, recover from a false step etc. - i.e. there is a point where the receiver is simply "too slow."

That said - sound technique can make up a lot for a lack of speed (just don't have cement shoes).

On a related note - running in the high 4.2's or the 4.3's isn't an end-all but it seldom hurts.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Okay, that's cool Harry, but why did get drafted in the sixth round then?

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, just trying to understand the incongruity between the above info, and the league's lukewarm feeling toward him on draft day.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Okay, that's cool Harry, but why did get drafted in the sixth round then?

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, just trying to understand the incongruity between the above info, and the league's lukewarm feeling toward him on draft day.

For the same reason Rod Smith was undrafted, Marques Colston went in the 7th round or Antonio Brown went in the 6th round...there is something about his game talent evaluators didn't trust, whether it was his timed speed, where he played etc. Not saying Johnson is going to have the career that any of those players had but just because he was drafted late doesn't mean evaluators weren't wrong or he can't be successful. He played 4 years in college had 275 receptions and 24 TDs he was super productive and his numbers improved every year.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
A receiver with good hands and good in his routes is a solid choice 75% of the time. Boldin was one of the slowest guys on the TEAM, but had an uncanny feel and instinct on the playing field. Hands and instinct >>>> speed and athletic ability IMO.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
A receiver with good hands and good in his routes is a solid choice 75% of the time. Boldin was one of the slowest guys on the TEAM, but had an uncanny feel and instinct on the playing field. Hands and instinct >>>> speed and athletic ability IMO.

And remember the way tacklers just used to bounce off of him in the early years? It was shocking.

But glad that Keeshawn is making noise in TC. Really hoping that we can pull of a worst-to-first magic trick with this WR corp.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
And remember the way tacklers just used to bounce off of him in the early years? It was shocking.

But glad that Keeshawn is making noise in TC. Really hoping that we can pull of a worst-to-first magic trick with this WR corp.

Hell ya! I was in the NEZ in 2004 against Carolina, when he seemingly broke tackles from 8/11 defenders and was a wrecking ball the whole way into the end zone. Still my favorite all time cardinal.... If there was ever a group to do it, this would be one of the first to come to mind.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose