Is Murray that good?

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score
he also owes the A's some bonus money back doesnt he?? I heard 3 mil from somewhere...if he gets drafted and the slot doesnt provide enough cash to pay that back he will likely just play baseball anyway.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He’ll have no issues paying back the 200k he didn’t return

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No problem.

I wasn't singling you out on Young. It's just that we hear about these "generational" players every couple years. Vince Young was supposed to be one. So was Marcus Mariotta. The last "generational" player that I can remember remotely living up to the hype is Andrew Luck.

I mean, the hype on Murray hit its crescendo at the combine when he performed that amazing athletic feat of being 5'10.

Then, I think it's hilarious that he points to his high school accomplishments. It's not like Murray played for the little sisters of the poor. Allen High School has been a state contender for years and will continue to do so long after Murray. Like every state, there are about 3-5 big schools with a legit shot at winning the state. I guess maybe Allen coach Westerberg should have been named Head coach at A&M, Texas, or another major college based on his high school record.

Point being, high schools' relevance to the NFL is ludicrous.

Has luck REALLY lived up to it? He’s been good no doubt but generational? I question that..

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
But the projections were based on him declaring for the NFL, not based on someone rolling the dice with a draft pick and find out later if he wanted to play or not. He is a RS junior so he has to declare is intent to play pro football within 7 days from the end of the champ game and get league approval to enter the draft since his eligibility wasn't used up. When he declared is the same day he announced he was only playing football. At that point in time many were still skeptical there was a path to a first round selection. It was only after the hype machines and smokescreens started that his projections started ramping up and a month ago basically everyone still had him as the 3rd QB drafted.

All the hype benefits everyone who help guide that narrative ... League, media and KM camp.

It was widely reported that Murray requested a draft grade but it never leaked out as far as I heard. When you get a good grade it leaks. Haskins got a 1st round grade. Insiders seemed to be settling it would come back 2nd or 3rd round. I'm guessing that is why he said he said 100% he would play baseball and not football.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sp...eisman-trophy-stats/vxav4u4kvaa11unq8yylaf94j

Even the very day before declaring for the NFL and saying he for sure wouldn't play baseball his camp was negotiating with the As to get a bigs contract with guaranteed money which would mean the As would need to carry him on the 40 man roster while he was playing in the minors.

Let's be real here... Murray would be playing baseball if he thought there was more guaranteed money in it. It was only once the hype machines started to move the needle that he could guarantee more short term money in the NFL that he flipped that way. I don't blame someone from making a decision based on money, but don't talk about comittments and honor and all that and do about face.

He was 100% baseball only, no doubt, NFL is not a chance until the day of the NFL deadline and then he was 100% football only and now MLB is not a chance. I feel like the people on the Az fans on KM train missed the entire saga and doesn't have any qualms about someone who gave a club his word up and down and then flip flopped.
bojack, you have no idea how accurate this post is.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Has luck REALLY lived up to it? He’s been good no doubt but generational? I question that..
That's why I used remotely. He's been pretty darn good when healthy though.

That got me thinking, RGIII is another flame out that some were hyping over Luck.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I remember a lot of these same things being said about Vince Young. Hmmm.
We should be students of history, but not glued to it.

Guaranteed to happen: A club will pass on an athletic QB because "he reminds people of Vince Young." Only this time, the QB shatters the record books on his way to the Super Bowl...

Sometimes I feel like you could line up identical triplets side by side (with each sharing identical traits) and they'd each have varying degrees of success or failure. Not to mention that each QB might have had to deal with a different offensive strategy or scheme.

Gotta zero in on the dude in front of you and pay less attention to what someone else said about a similar player many years ago.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
We should be students of history, but not glued to it.

Guaranteed to happen: A club will pass on an athletic QB because "he reminds people of Vince Young." Only this time, the QB shatters the record books on his way to the Super Bowl...

Sometimes I feel like you could line up identical triplets side by side (with each sharing identical traits) and they'd each have varying degrees of success or failure. Not to mention that each QB might have had to deal with a different offensive strategy or scheme.

Gotta zero in on the dude in front of you and pay less attention to what someone else said about a similar player many years ago.

Zeroing in on a short QB and then rationalizing that he can be the exception rather than the rule is crazy IMHO.Look at him all you want but he won`t get taller and if he gets heavier he could lose mobility which is one of assets since he likely won`t be able to be a consistent pocket QB.Betting that Murray will shatter the record books is a sucker bet.Not likely to happen unless you think you can draw a deuce while holding 19.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
What time is Murray’s Pro Day tomorrow? NFL Network said 10am but is that Eastern or AZ time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Murray’s height will work with more than against him. I can 6’3+ defenders struggling mightily to get a hold of his frame.

DRM08

Veteran
Reaction score
I’d draft him at #1 before drafting Josh Allen.

Allen seemed like a mega bust at the time Buffalo chose him, but turns out he seems like a good kid and sneaky smart too (37 on Wonderlic). Listening to him interact with teammates on the field, he seems like the real deal to me.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Allen seemed like a mega bust at the time Buffalo chose him, but turns out he seems like a good kid and sneaky smart too (37 on Wonderlic). Listening to him interact with teammates on the field, he seems like the real deal to me.
Talking about the LB.