What is the plan?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Shai Gilgeous Alexander would be my first guess. However, I don't know how much a rookie like him would be helping our current situation.

Also the concept that Shai was still available when we got Bridges is a bit misleading because the trade didn't happen until our 16th pick was on the clock.
Yeah that’s what I mean—Shai wasn’t “available” for all intents and purposes.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
And don't forget that they traded away their best future asset in order to draft another SF, when there were solid PG prospects on the board.

I am OK with that one. I think Bridges will turn into an ideal player to play alongside Booker and Ayton. I also don't value that Miami pick as much as some do. Blowing their money on Ariza and ignoring the PG need was a bigger mistake, I think. Without Ariza, there wasn't really a logjam at 3 either. They would have had Warren, Jackson, and Bridges. Warren can be a small ball 4 and Bridges can play 2 or 3, so it's not really that big of a deal.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look I know everyone thinks suns management is incompetent - and for the most part they are.

However if you really think they will go all offseason and not address the PG position you must think they have a single digit IQ's.

It will be addressed. The question is will it be addressed properly, meaning will the correct PG be signed or traded for.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Look I know everyone thinks suns management is incompetent - and for the most part they are.

However if you really think they will go all offseason and not address the PG position you must think they have a single digit IQ's.

It will be addressed. The question is will it be addressed properly, meaning will the correct PG be signed or traded for.

That is precisely what was said LAST offseason...

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I am OK with that one. I think Bridges will turn into an ideal player to play alongside Booker and Ayton. I also don't value that Miami pick as much as some do. Blowing their money on Ariza and ignoring the PG need was a bigger mistake, I think. Without Ariza, there wasn't really a logjam at 3 either. They would have had Warren, Jackson, and Bridges. Warren can be a small ball 4 and Bridges can play 2 or 3, so it's not really that big of a deal.
Miami's record over the past couple years should tell us everything we need to know about how valuable that pick was. It's very unlikely that they will be a bottom 10 team in 2021 (especially with them not owning the pick).

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Hopefully it doesn’t take five years. Maybe we get lucky with draft pick? We should still try for impact FAs.
Emphasis on free agents (or trades).

Counting on draft picks (on a team overloaded with young players, most of whom are still trying to find themselves) means three or four years that they might do so.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Please let this be true.

I so like what Oubre brings to the table offensively and defensively. Oubre and Jackson bring length at the forward position. And when Bridges takes off they are going to be a handful.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Please let this be true.

I so like what Oubre brings to the table offensively and defensively. Oubre and Jackson bring length at the forward position. And when Bridges takes off they are going to be a handful.
Plus he's going to be the Suns representative in a future ESPN Body issue.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks like Dillon Brooks is set to miss the rest of the season because of a toe injury. I'm really glad we ended up with Oubre. I know the initial plan may have been to acquire Brooks in the Ariza deal but someone who misses 4 months of basketball because of toe surgery isn't someone I'd like the Suns to invest in. It doesn't say what sort of surgery it is but it does say that he's expected to make a full recovery and be able to participate in all offseason workouts and plans for the Grizzlies. Still, the NBA season goes until mid April and the Grizzlies have been in the playoff race as well. I'm surprised surgery on a toe would put you down for that long.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/...news-justin-holiday/f4hj0oa21lrb1k0vh033iasgj

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like Dillon Brooks is set to miss the rest of the season because of a toe injury. I'm really glad we ended up with Oubre. I know the initial plan may have been to acquire Brooks in the Ariza deal but someone who misses 4 months of basketball because of toe surgery isn't someone I'd like the Suns to invest in. It doesn't say what sort of surgery it is but it does say that he's expected to make a full recovery and be able to participate in all offseason workouts and plans for the Grizzlies. Still, the NBA season goes until mid April and the Grizzlies have been in the playoff race as well. I'm surprised surgery on a toe would put you down for that long.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/...news-justin-holiday/f4hj0oa21lrb1k0vh033iasgj

That's been the problem with Brooks all along though, one injury after the other. He's very physical and a very heady player. From what I've seen he almost always makes winning plays down the stretch so I was intrigued (with concerns) when it looked like he was coming to us but Oubre has been a very pleasant surprise. And he looks like he fits in well with his new teammates so hopefully he'll want to stay.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's been the problem with Brooks all along though, one injury after the other. He's very physical and a very heady player. From what I've seen he almost always makes winning plays down the stretch so I was intrigued (with concerns) when it looked like he was coming to us but Oubre has been a very pleasant surprise. And he looks like he fits in well with his new teammates so hopefully he'll want to stay.

I've been really happy with Oubre. I was a little worried because some Washington fans seemed to to dislike his attitude but I think I paid too much attention to that. He was a player that was being traded away and it seemed they had accepted it before it happened because there was talk of him being moved for a while. Washington fans like Markieff Morris also, which I didn't think about until later and that alone should have told me that their views on Oubre's attitude were skewed at best. When I heard the trade I wasn't too happy with Brooks because I knew very little of him and what I knew of Oubre on the court, he seemed like the best player in that deal, I didn't realize he was as young as he is though. Definitely a good move though. His attitude hasn't bothered me and I've grown to like him much more than I anticipated.

I hope we keep him but if we don't then it better be because some other team makes him a foolish offer rather than us not being interested. Anything higher than $15 million per season would be too much for him but I could live with a little bit over, like 16 or 17 but that would almost require we move Warren, Jackson, or Bridges because that's too much invested in wings at that point. In a way I hope he stays on the bench for us throughout the rest of the season to keep his price a little lower so we can resign him for a reasonable amount.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been really happy with Oubre. I was a little worried because some Washington fans seemed to to dislike his attitude but I think I paid too much attention to that. He was a player that was being traded away and it seemed they had accepted it before it happened because there was talk of him being moved for a while. Washington fans like Markieff Morris also, which I didn't think about until later and that alone should have told me that their views on Oubre's attitude were skewed at best. When I heard the trade I wasn't too happy with Brooks because I knew very little of him and what I knew of Oubre on the court, he seemed like the best player in that deal, I didn't realize he was as young as he is though. Definitely a good move though. His attitude hasn't bothered me and I've grown to like him much more than I anticipated.

I hope we keep him but if we don't then it better be because some other team makes him a foolish offer rather than us not being interested. Anything higher than $15 million per season would be too much for him but I could live with a little bit over, like 16 or 17 but that would almost require we move Warren, Jackson, or Bridges because that's too much invested in wings at that point. In a way I hope he stays on the bench for us throughout the rest of the season to keep his price a little lower so we can resign him for a reasonable amount.

Yeah, I was influenced by those complaints too and I never knew exactly what they were talking about. I think, in the end, Washington just knew they couldn't justify paying him what he wanted, I don't think they were unhappy overall with him. And the numbers are so crazy these days, I have no idea what kind of money he deserves or will demand. Hopefully he's in reach for us but regardless what we offer him, he also needs to continue improving.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like four NBA teams have the same plan.

Zion anyone.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It looks like four NBA teams have the same plan.

Zion anyone.

Suns aren’t tanking. Knicks tank is all about clearing space for free agents so not a tank designed primarily for the #1 pick (not primarily). Cavs also just flat out suck this badly in lebron’s wake. Bulls, well, bulls I can’t discount.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns aren’t tanking. Knicks tank is all about clearing space for free agents so not a tank designed primarily for the #1 pick (not primarily). Cavs also just flat out suck this badly in lebron’s wake. Bulls, well, bulls I can’t discount.

I'm saying the worst four teams will have the same target... Zion.

Never thought the Suns were tanking. They do it the old fashion way... they earn it.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Never thought the Suns were tanking. They do it the old fashion way... they earn it.

That opens a significant psychological point. The Suns were definitely tanking last season.

Which put them into the position to be losers this season. But we lucked out and selected the #1 draft pick.

Because having Ayton play offense on the perimeter and not having experienced and functional Point Guards in place are our two main reasons for being a last place team this season.

In other words, the Suns are experiencing, in a negative way, the effects of establishing a losing mentality. From the owners to the Front Office to the coaching staff to the players to the fans. That is the main reason why I was an outspoken tank-opponent last season.

The Suns braintrust is so untalented, they don't even know how to set up a successful tank. Or as the saying goes, they would f*** up a wet dream. And they have. :(

On a side note, I sat up in the rafters for the Bob Seger farewell concert last night (it was great!) at Talking Stick Resort Arena. All concert long, I couldn't help but see the Suns two lousy banners for Conference Champions in 50 seasons. While the Mercury and Rattlers have multi Championship banners up. I find that embarrassing!

Between Jerry's long tenure and his hand-picking Robert Sarver to be his successor, I truly hope he feels the same.

Hey, maybe the NBA should transfer the Suns and three other teams to the G-League. Do you think the Sarver regime and its rotating short-term management would perform any better there?

Last edited:
OP
OP
boisesuns

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
I have a feeling we’ll have high hopes for the offseason but ending up drafting the wrong guy and overpaying for leftover free agents.

Going out on a limb, but I could really see that happening for some reason

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling we’ll have high hopes for the offseason but ending up drafting the wrong guy and overpaying for leftover free agents.

Going out on a limb, but I could really see that happening for some reason

That's a real pick-me-up. :D

Of course this is my worst fear as well.

The Suns need a player coach like Nash to run the team. I don't see anyone like that on the horizon.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That opens a significant psychological point. The Suns were definitely tanking last season.

Which put them into the position to be losers this season. But we lucked out and selected the #1 draft pick.

Because having Ayton play offense on the perimeter and not having experienced and functional Point Guards in place are our two main reasons for being a last place team this season.

In other words, the Suns are experiencing, in a negative way, the effects of establishing a losing mentality. From the owners to the Front Office to the coaching staff to the players to the fans. That is the main reason why I was an outspoken tank-opponent last season.

The Suns braintrust is so untalented, they don't even know how to set up a successful tank. Or as the saying goes, they would f*** up a wet dream. And they have. :(

On a side note, I sat up in the rafters for the Bob Seger farewell concert last night (it was great!) at Talking Stick Resort Arena. All concert long, I couldn't help but see the Suns two lousy banners for Conference Champions in 50 seasons. While the Mercury and Rattlers have multi Championship banners up. I find that embarrassing!

Between Jerry's long tenure and his hand-picking Robert Sarver to be his successor, I truly hope he feels the same.

Hey, maybe the NBA should transfer the Suns and three other teams to the G-League. Do you think the Sarver regime and its rotating short-term management would perform any better there?

It's times like this I miss Cotton Fitzsimmons.

Bob Seger is one of my favorite artists.

You picked a great concert to attend!

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If the Bulls get the first and the Suns the second pick, a trade will be worked out. Or should I say the ransom will be paid.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Getting the stadium deal done helps much more than people know. It will help with free agents etc.

If you go with a youth movement, you have to commit to the long haul. But teams can have too many young players. That is why the 80's and 90's Clippers were so bad. They always had great picks. Some would say they pick poorly, and they did. But they had a team culture where there were just too many young players. You cannot have three rookies starting and expect to have a good team. And those players are not likely going to develop well. In theory, James Jones is right. We need a quality veteran culture in order for our young starts to develop. McD was a scout at heart. He was a draft nerd. He had no sense of developing team culture so even his draft picks failed. I am just not confident that we can gather enough quality vets to develop a real team.

We cannot remain "in love" with our promising, but not arrived, young players if this team is going to move forward. The changes that need to be made are above my pay grade.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
wha? why wouldn't the Bulls want Zion?

Short of an incident leading to multiple traumatic head injuries suffered by the Bulls' front office and ownership...I can't think of a reason. MAYBE it would make them open to moving Markkanen or Carter.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson