What is the plan?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Short of an incident leading to multiple traumatic head injuries suffered by the Bulls' front office and ownership...I can't think of a reason. MAYBE it would make them open to moving Markkanen or Carter.

I get maybe moving Carter if that happened, but Markkanen seems like he'd the perfect outside/inside combo to be paired up with Zion.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
wha? why wouldn't the Bulls want Zion?
They would move carter or markennan. I think markennan being more likely as carter projects into maybe a lesser offensive player but better two-way player.

I’d love to add markennan. We wouldn’t have much rim protection between Ayton and markennan but he’d space nicely for Ayton and we would no longer get beat up on the boards.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I would keep Wendell Carter and bring him off the bench. At all times you could have 2/3 of Zion, Lauri and Carter on the floor together.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I would keep Wendell Carter and bring him off the bench. At all times you could have 2/3 of Zion, Lauri and Carter on the floor together.
I think one of their acceptance of a third wheel would only last so long. And the odd man out could net them a piece at a position of need. Otherwise they’re over emphasizing two positions the way we have the two wing positions.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No the point is to pair Booker and Zion. Everything else would be on the table.

I agree with this. I think pairing Zion with Booker would lead the Suns back to relevancy and the postseason quicker than Zion & Ayton. Of course having all 3 of them would be amazing and if we land at #2 or #3 then we need to be willing to part with anyone not named Booker or Ayton to trade into the #1 spot. I would trade our pick this year, an unprotect 2021 pick, and their choice of Jackson or Bridges. If they wanted both then we'd need some protection on our future pick or make it a pick swap.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I don't know man, I think you can play Markanen, Zion, and Carter at the same time, provided that Zion can guard SFs. Chicago lacks talent, so if I were them, I'd keep all three.

As for trading for Zion, no, I would not trade Booker or Ayton along with the pick. Suns pick, future pick, Bucks pick, sure. Booker and Ayton... no.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No the point is to pair Booker and Zion. Everything else would be on the table.
So you give up Ayton?

Man do i explore throwing everything in the kitchen but book and Ayton if it works. Multiple unprotected future firsts, Bucks pick, pick swaps, 2nd rounders, JJ, Bridges, oubre, Melton. Let em all go. Like Ditka did when he traded his whole draft for Ricky Williams. I don’t think many teams would go for it. But man you could make an argument that for some teams, like maybe the bulls with lauri and carter, they could take a chance on trading Zion for that ridiculous windfall.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I agree with this. I think pairing Zion with Booker would lead the Suns back to relevancy and the postseason quicker than Zion & Ayton. Of course having all 3 of them would be amazing and if we land at #2 or #3 then we need to be willing to part with anyone not named Booker or Ayton to trade into the #1 spot. I would trade our pick this year, an unprotect 2021 pick, and their choice of Jackson or Bridges. If they wanted both then we'd need some protection on our future pick or make it a pick swap.
Man if it meant booker, Ayton, and Zion - with the latter two on rookie contracts?!? I give it all up. Understand that pay concept . . . ROOKIE CONTRACTS! That’s one max contract and two rookie contracts. That means space to sign free agents. And that means teaming vets, perhaps even good ones, with those three. Yes please.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So you give up Ayton?

Man do i explore throwing everything in the kitchen but book and Ayton if it works. Multiple unprotected future firsts, Bucks pick, pick swaps, 2nd rounders, JJ, Bridges, oubre, Melton. Let em all go. Like Ditka did when he traded his whole draft for Ricky Williams. I don’t think many teams would go for it. But man you could make an argument that for some teams, like maybe the bulls with lauri and carter, they could take a chance on trading Zion for that ridiculous windfall.

I don't think the Bulls would consider trading the pick unless they unload Zack LaVine's contract with it. He's due $20 million a year for the next 3 seasons. I can't believe they matched that deal Sacramento signed him to last offseason. They might also want to unload Otto Porter and his salary, which is $27.25 next season and a player option for the 2020-21 season at $28.5 million. That's almost half the cap for 2 guys that are 4th options at best. To have the ability to do anything in the near future they'll need to move at least one of them.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't think the Bulls would consider trading the pick unless they unload Zack LaVine's contract with it. He's due $20 million a year for the next 3 seasons. I can't believe they matched that deal Sacramento signed him to last offseason. They might also want to unload Otto Porter and his salary, which is $27.25 next season and a player option for the 2020-21 season at $28.5 million. That's almost half the cap for 2 guys that are 4th options at best. To have the ability to do anything in the near future they'll need to move at least one of them.
Ya I forgot about those two albatrosses. Yeesh.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Hawks should get the #1 pick, maybe we should offer them 2-3 first round picks.

They like more swings at bat.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Lavine is a poor man’s Booker and makes less money. BTW what a great trade Lauri and Zach for Jimmy.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
So you give up Ayton?

Zion is generational. Nobody would even consider trading out of #1 for all those secondary assets you mentioned.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lavine is a poor man’s Booker and makes less money. BTW what a great trade Lauri and Zach for Jimmy.

I like what Minnesota got for Butler also, Saric and Covington. That allows them to move Wiggins back to SG with those 2 at their forward spots.

I wouldn't consider LaVine a poor man's Devin Booker. I always thought he was like Kevin Martin from the Kings in the 2000's but LaVine was more athletic, like a modern Harold Miner. Booker can shoot and score quite well when he's not forced to carry the whole offense on his back. LaVine isn't a particularly good shooter or scorer. The only thing he does that's above average is dunk but after having ACL surgery I'm not sure if he's regained that ability or not. Kevin Martin had to be one of the worst 20+ ppg scorers of the last decade or so. He was involved in the Harden trade with OKC but that's probably his claim to fame. Other than making the playoffs in his rookie season in Sacramento and then that year in OKC, he never had any other postseason appearances because teams let him just chuck away. I think LaVine will end up the same, a journeyman with decent averages but he's more of a tank commander like Brandon Knight than impactful in a positive way.