Would you trade for Eli Manning?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
rings aside.... Philip Rivers is still the best QB to come from that draft class.......would trade for Rivers.....but never Manning.

Even though I have nothing invested in the whole situation it still irks me that when the Manning family gets together for the holidays,....Eli has more rings on than Peyton....its a shame, Peyton is twice the QB Eli will ever be.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People aren't suggesting Drew Stanton be kept over the chance to acquire Manning, Newton, or RG are they?

That's beyond crazy.

Manning isn't going anywhere until Coughlin is gone and I think it was a bad decision on the Giants part to change the way Eli does everything this late in his career. I'm not saying he can't do it but they've won 2 SB's with him and the system could have been tweaked rather than a complete overhaul. People were questioning Rivers a couple years ago and then they brought in a system that fits his style and he's back among the top QB's in the league. The same, I think, would be the case with Manning.

Manning didn't win 2 SB's by chance. Considering what BA has done with CP, I think he could work miracles with Eli. Let's not forget that Palmer has never even sniffed a Lombardi Trophy. I love how much CP has improved, but I'm still not convinced he can win games in January, let alone February. Manning has already done that, many times over. Eli is the exact prototypical QB that BA is most successful with. I'm fine moving forward with a healthy CP, but I'd have no problem going after Manning.

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
Palmer has led the league in interceptions and threw a career high 22 last year (Eli had a league high 27). After a year in the system, Palmer saw a drastic reduction in picks this year. There is no reason not to believe that Eli Manning couldn't see similar results.

The Cardinals can't outscore anybody. Arguably the best receiving corps, a talented running back, decent pass protection, but the points aren't coming. The problem may be the quarterback.

If we are redrafting the league, I'm taking Manning before Palmer. Manning is inconsistent, but he has those rings.

As to what the Cardinals would give up for Manning. That's easy: Carson Palmer. They can't afford to pay both of them so a swap is the only way Manning could come to the desert.

How are we 9-1 then?

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Expends on what we're trading. Eli and Coughlin has run it's course I think he'd do fine here.
That being said, I don't ever see that happening

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Eli Manning is a BA type of QB. Rivers, I think, is.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Defense, defense, defense - there is no indication that the Cardinals can win a high scoring shoot out.

We havent had to play that way.

If our D lets down and we get into a shootout, that will be when we find out if we are capable of it.

When you are playing close games and holding a lead, there is no need to go big and risk turnovers vs maintaining your lead and beating down the opposing D.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Eli Manning is not a fit for this offense, so I am out. Eli is done hanging in the pocket and taking a shot to complete a pass down the field. He has his money. He has won a Super Bowl. He is good, but will never win another championship regardless of the team. He will cost too much, can't evade a rush, and makes too many stupid mistakes.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Eli Manning is not a fit for this offense, so I am out. Eli is done hanging in the pocket and taking a shot to complete a pass down the field. He has his money. He has won a Super Bowl. He is good, but will never win another championship regardless of the team. He will cost too much, can't evade a rush, and makes too many stupid mistakes.

Erm... Not for nothing, but this sounds like the Carson Palmer description before he came here, except that Eli's won some Lombardis.

The cost is an issue.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think NY would part ways with Manning after this year??

OP
OP
G

GiantCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Think NY would part ways with Manning after this year??

Nobody knows what they're going to do. A lot will depend on whether they keep the GM and/or coach. A new regime may not want to start building around a 34 year old QB. OTOH, there are no "sure things" in this year's draft. And Coughlin has never been one to give the backup QB playing time to see what he can do as long as Eli is healthy. Eli was actually having a pretty decent season until last week. But can you rebuild the team with your QB making $20M a year?

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It seriously blows my mind Eli and Palmer are the same age

I dont know why, but Eli just seems perpetually young to me. Its like hes been 27 for 10 years.

Nope. No more retreads. Even with the success of Palmer, im over retreads. Itd be SO NICE to draft a kid, watch him turn into a franchise QB, and roll with him for 12 years.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
We havent had to play that way.

If our D lets down and we get into a shootout, that will be when we find out if we are capable of it.

When you are playing close games and holding a lead, there is no need to go big and risk turnovers vs maintaining your lead and beating down the opposing D.

:thumbup:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It seriously blows my mind Eli and Palmer are the same age

I dont know why, but Eli just seems perpetually young to me. Its like hes been 27 for 10 years.

Nope. No more retreads. Even with the success of Palmer, im over retreads. Itd be SO NICE to draft a kid, watch him turn into a franchise QB, and roll with him for 12 years.

Eli was born in '81 and Palmer in '79 :)

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Eli was born in '81 and Palmer in '79 :)

I read OP wrong, I thought Eli was 34 right now, as is CP.

Still changes nothing. Eli could be 36 right now and for some reason its stuck in my brain that hes always been in his 20s.

Its because he has a childs face

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Erm... Not for nothing, but this sounds like the Carson Palmer description before he came here, except that Eli's won some Lombardis.

The cost is an issue.

And even if the first one was a fluke he was unbelievable in the 2011 postseason including wins @GB and @SF.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Palmer is as good as Eli. He's just never played on a good team until now.
Since he's been here, he's 16-6 as a starter including 6-0 this year.
We need to not play the retread game anymore, now that we're in a position of strength. That's a desperate team's game.
We need to draft and develop our eventual replacement QB. I trust Arians, Moore, and staff to do this far more than Wiz and whatever the hell was on his staff. Don't know if Logan Thomas can be anything, but we have the luxury of a couple years to find out.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Palmer isn't as good as Eli. Lol. Eli has won 2 SBs and is on a bad team. His completion percentage is still good and he hasn't lost anything. He has a sucky Oline and terrible receivers. You put him on this team and we're a lock for the SB.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Palmer isn't as good as Eli. Lol. Eli has won 2 SBs and is on a bad team. His completion percentage is still good and he hasn't lost anything. He has a sucky Oline and terrible receivers. You put him on this team and we're a lock for the SB.

with BA and his staff coaching him, I'd agree.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Palmer isn't as good as Eli.

That's certainly debatable. Manning has been more durable, played 18 more games, and has 18 more wins (with the same number of losses), but statistically, Palmer is better in virtually every single category:
Palmer: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PalmCa00.htm
Manning: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannEl00.htm

Completion %: 62.6 vs. 58.7
TD:Int ratio: 1.45:1 vs. 1.36:1
Yds/Att: 7.2 vs. 7.0
Yds/Game: 246 vs. 232
Passer rating: 86.3 vs. 81.5

Lol. Eli has won 2 SBs and is on a bad team.

Yep, can't take away Eli's amazing playoff performances. But do his 2 rings mean that Eli is better than Payton? Of course not.

His completion percentage is still good and he hasn't lost anything.

Eli's completion percentage is mediocre at best - 61.2% this year and below 60% in 6 of Manning's 11 years. Palmer's only dipped below 60% once in 11 years - in his injury-shortened 4-game 2008 season.

And based on passer rating, Eli's last few years have been WAY below his peak. 2013 was one of the worst seasons i've ever seen from a QB, and while he's been better in 2014, his 61.2% completion percentage, 18:11 TD:int ratio, and 6.8 yds/attempt are all pretty lame.

Palmer, on the other hand, was performing above his career averages in every one of the above categories since arriving in Arizona.

He has a sucky Oline and terrible receivers. You put him on this team and we're a lock for the SB.

I think, over his career, Eli has generally been surrounded by a LOT more talent than Palmer.

Can't argue with Eli's playoff success and Super Bowl rings, but i would take a healthy Palmer every time over Eli.

...dbs

Last edited: