Colin Cowherd on Kyler and coaching situation we are in ....

wagonmound464

Rookie
Reaction score
'Where Colin was wrong' > Pay Kyler the money! (Herd stated) [ Now, justifiably berating Kyler. ]

I don't see the Cards getting $2.7M per game,,,,,, getting their money's worth out of that ridiculous contract extension.

Attachments

• MURRAY N POCKET 2 SMALL.jpg
    MURRAY N POCKET 2 SMALL.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 13

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That's the part that bugs me.

He deserves some of the leadership/maturity criticism he's receiving, and, he played way below his talent level this year. Both of those things put together definitely makes extending him look like a bad decision (in hindsight), and puts his long term future here in doubt. 100%.

But when people start twisting his words, and liberally extrapolating actions and events to conclude that he's "lazy" and "stupid" and things like that, it riles me up.

Suffice to say he's at a crossroads in his professional career. He can either seize the amazing opportunity he has in front of him, and do some more work on the history books (in a good way), or he can go into the dustbin of of history as an also-ran. As a never-was. As someone who wasted a supreme amount of talent. I think it'll be the former. I think he's wired to be a winner, but I admit I could be wrong. We'll see.
And the funny thing is he/the article tried to paint as him having the smarts/vision to see things early. Like if I were taking a test I might have to study harder to remember the answers. Someone else might grasp it earlier.

Between that and the knee injury you'd hope Kyler will be more careful with his words (got injured the next game after the scheme comment). Be humble because this league is humbling.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Really wonder if the cards really did their homework on Kyler prior to drafting him
I am sure they did and felt the pros of what they saw was worth the gamble and then he had those moments of OMG, but they need to follow this through and see if a better coach for the situation can find that right mix of consistency

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah I disagree here. Kyler definitely had the leverage after going from 5-11 to 8-8 to 11-6 in his first three years with rookie of the year and two pro bowl appearances on top of that.

I still think there’s a chance Lamar walks away from Baltimore unless he becomes the highest paid qb far and away. If that happens, Baltimore will catch so much heat.

Sadly players do have leverage to sit out/force trades when they want out. I hate that it happens (like how Odel forced his way out of Cleveland to be rewarded with a Super Bowl ring - gross) but players have leverage in this league.

Unfortunately both the 8-8 and 11-6 seasons were comprised of epic collapses.

I still don't understand how Bidwill could watch the team implode (including losing badly to a 1 win Detroit team, and a laughably bad playoff appearance) and think: "I need to throw money at Kliff, Keim, and Kyler".

The entire off-season was bizarre. The organization seemed to be living in an alternate reality where the final 1/3 of the previous season didn't happen.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Unfortunately both the 8-8 and 11-6 seasons were comprised of epic collapses.

I still don't understand how Bidwill could watch the team implode (including losing badly to a 1 win Detroit team, and a laughably bad playoff appearance) and think: "I need to throw money at Kliff, Keim, and Kyler".

The entire off-season was bizarre. The organization seemed to be living in an alternate reality where the final 1/3 of the previous season didn't happen.
That was the funniest thing. The rube decided he had to lock all these guys up long-term. Was someone gonna come in and snatch Keim or Kliff? If so, good!

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
That was the funniest thing. The rube decided he had to lock all these guys up long-term. Was someone gonna come in and snatch Keim or Kliff? If so, good!
especially when they had a club option for Kliff for 2024. He wasnt heading into the last year of his deal -- that would have been now.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listen more closely, Cowherd was talking about waiting until next year to draft Caleb Williams, under the pretense that the Cardinals are destined for maybe the #1 overall pick on account of possibly not being favored in a single game, depending on how the schedule shakes out and when Kyler returns.

And he's not crazy.

Like he said, if those winnable games (Bears, Texans, Atlanta) turn out to be going on when we have Colt McCoy (or whoever) behind center, it's not easy to look at the Cardinals as favorites in nearly any game next year. Now, this is the NFL, and teams constantly surprise or win games they're not supposed to, but the point is valid. Especially if Murray does miss half of the season, doesn't have DHop anymore, and the team is all but out of it.

Imagine if he comes back and looks like he's not up to full strength, isn't grasping the new offense, limps away with 0-2 wins on the year, and we're owners of the #1 overall pick with Caleb Williams staring us in the face?

In this hypothetical (but realistic) scenario, I'd be tempted to go with the rookie.

To be clear I've been saying Caleb was my favorite QB in college for awhile now, since when he was at OU. But if you asked me to compare him to an NFL QB, it would be Kyler Murray. He's taller than Kyler but he's listed at 6'1" and he's not that tall, strong arm, outstanding runner, can throw from different angles etc but like Kyler he often throws off balance when he doesn't have to. He has this weird habit of holding the ball down low, not as a play fake to the point you sometimes think the play must have been blown dead but it's not. He turns his back on the defense WAY too often, that get out the back door spin move Kyler does, Caleb does it a ton. He's very reliant on arm strength.

I have no idea if he's a hard worker, seems to be more outgoing than Kyler. But yeah if we're bad enough this coming season to get a shot at Caleb Williams it would be very tempting to take him, he has a very high ceiling.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listen more closely, Cowherd was talking about waiting until next year to draft Caleb Williams, under the pretense that the Cardinals are destined for maybe the #1 overall pick on account of possibly not being favored in a single game, depending on how the schedule shakes out and when Kyler returns.

And he's not crazy.

Like he said, if those winnable games (Bears, Texans, Atlanta) turn out to be going on when we have Colt McCoy (or whoever) behind center, it's not easy to look at the Cardinals as favorites in nearly any game next year. Now, this is the NFL, and teams constantly surprise or win games they're not supposed to, but the point is valid. Especially if Murray does miss half of the season, doesn't have DHop anymore, and the team is all but out of it.

Imagine if he comes back and looks like he's not up to full strength, isn't grasping the new offense, limps away with 0-2 wins on the year, and we're owners of the #1 overall pick with Caleb Williams staring us in the face?

In this hypothetical (but realistic) scenario, I'd be tempted to go with the rookie.
We are a very precarious situation. It highly likely we will not see the real Kyler Murray until 2024. By then the draft would be over.
Now, do we wait to see or do we plan he’s going to be less than he was.
On the flip side can you imagine if Kyler shows he’s back the last couple of games the haul we would get for the #1 pick?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So even though we saw it was a train wreck stupid decision, we still should have done it? Madness.

Let him walk? We would've had him under control for years. A GM with savvy and stones would have waited and not given him a new deal in almost record time for a young QB. It was plain dumb in hindsight. Just ridiculously stupid. It has hamstrung this organization.
Remember, Bidwill started all this by the asinine decision to sign Kiem and Kingsbury to an extension. THAT started the ball rolling downhill.
Of course , Kyler is sitting there putting his ass on the line and is asking, “What about me?”
It started the day Kiem and Kingsbury were extended. If not for that I kind of think Kyler’s demands would have fallen on deaf ears.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Remember, Bidwill started all this by the asinine decision to sign Kiem and Kingsbury to an extension. THAT started the ball rolling downhill.
Of course , Kyler is sitting there putting his ass on the line and is asking, “What about me?”
It started the day Kiem and Kingsbury were extended. If not for that I kind of think Kyler’s demands would have fallen on deaf ears.
Bottom line it all boils down to Bidwill. He signed all of them to ridiculous contracts. Damage done and will be difficult to move on from all of it quickly.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don’t think that timeline is correct. Kyler’s agent sent the letter 2/26 and Keim and Kingsbury announced their extensions right before the combine on 3/2.

That’s one of the reasons the extensions were so hilarious.

Mark22

VBhoopcoach
Reaction score
And the funny thing is he/the article tried to paint as him having the smarts/vision to see things early. Like if I were taking a test I might have to study harder to remember the answers. Someone else might grasp it earlier.

Between that and the knee injury you'd hope Kyler will be more careful with his words (got injured the next game after the scheme comment). Be humble because this league is humbling.
Exactly! Well put

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Bidwill thought he was doing the right thing. He saw the Cardinals being successful under Kingsbury and Murray so he signed them long-term and paid a funk ton to do so

Bidwill isn't cheap, he may make poor and premature decisions but he isn't cheap and he wants to win. It's why the fan base was ecstatic to see a GM hired who had no ties with Arizona

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Players with leverage vs owners...

I'm always on the side of millionaires in their battle with billionaires.
Agreed, and with regard to Lamar, I dont know why everyone is so in love with him. I think hes a middling QB, but an incredible athlete. That rarely gets you to the promised land. Im jealous of Baltimore. They can reset the position, and frankly, I think theyll be back in the playoffs in short order if they do.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Apart from K1 demands coming before their extensions as @kerouac9 said its completely normal for HC and GM extensions to be done much earlier in the year. They are much simpler contracts for much less money.

Never has a 3rd year contract extension for a player been done before late June and its completely normal for them to be done in August.

I also don't see how they are related at all.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
Really wonder if the cards really did their homework on Kyler prior to drafting him
In retrospect, it appears they didn’t. Definitely overrated his abilities and commitment ( or lack thereof) to learning his craft. He doesn’t pass the eye test for certain.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In retrospect, it appears they didn’t. Definitely overrated his abilities and commitment ( or lack thereof) to learning his craft. He doesn’t pass the eye test for certain.

That whole draft sucked balls so you have to question the whole decision making process.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Agreed, and with regard to Lamar, I dont know why everyone is so in love with him. I think hes a middling QB, but an incredible athlete. That rarely gets you to the promised land. Im jealous of Baltimore. They can reset the position, and frankly, I think theyll be back in the playoffs in short order if they do.
Lol. Yeah, who wants a an MVP?

It’s not like Jalen Hurts is a polished pocket passer. Where’d it get him?

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am sure they did and felt the pros of what they saw was worth the gamble and then he had those moments of OMG, but they need to follow this through and see if a better coach for the situation can find that right mix of consistency
I guess the calculus didn't prove out when they brought if someone with a losing record as a college coach. Opinion only, they did not do their homework, or they used the same books as their star student used to prepare for games.