THE WAY OF THE GUNN - DCU’S NEW ERA

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay so if you think we are going to do a Superboy that isn't a snarky kid with James Gunn...

I mean what would make you think that isn't what Superboy going to be?
The fact that James Gunn isn’t an idiot for starters.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And that's why getting rid of Cavill is wrong, IMO. Is anyone REALLY interested in Superboy, or the timeframe Gunn indicated?
The reality is people weren’t REALLY interested in Cavill’s Superman. Box office spoke loud and clear there no matter how loud a a very vocal, but very small section of Snyder fans said so.
Cavill's interpretation is the best (or at least best recent version) and eliminating it in favor of an untested and seemingly unwanted version of the character doesn't make sense.
Unwanted… by who? The toxic Snyder geeks? We have know idea what the larger movie public wants. Only thing we know for sure is audiences by and large DGAF about Cavill’s Superman.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perfect:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
In hindsight, it worked well for Marvel. Chris Evans was Johnny Storm/Human Torch in 2005 and 2007 in the Fantastic Four films and then became Captain America in 2011. I remember that move being questioned at the time, but it would be hard to imagine another actor being the original Cap since he did such a great job, IMHO.
OMG, he totally was, wasn't he? I had viciously suppressed those movies--well, the first one, as I didn't watch the second.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OMG, he totally was, wasn't he? I had viciously suppressed those movies--well, the first one, as I didn't watch the second.
I’m convinced those movies didn’t really exist, even though I saw both and the second one in the theater.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Playing catchup. Henry Cavill will not be back as Superman?!? HUGE MISTAKE. Look I like Gunn even though I didn't like his last movie and it didn't light up the box office either. I think he knows the "formula". However, Henry Cavill has been one of the bright spots and he is tossing him aside. Henry Cavill IS SUPERMAN. Sounds like he is dumping Gadot too.

In regard to Superman. It certainly puts a damper on DC for me and its future unless this is just an early year's type appearance scenario he is referencing only. That might be because he said there will be no more origin stories for Superman. The thing is Superboy and the younger iterations of Superman all suck. Smallville was the best iteration of any of that but it was definitely a TV thing and a different tone. If Gunn thinks fans want to see that over Cavill? He is crazy.

I hope not but if this truly is goodbye for Cavill and Gadot? Chalk this up as Gunn's first idiotic decision. I am also not happy with moving away from the multiverse entirely either because it screws Keaton over as well. Cavill is disappointed and Keaton is pissed. Fans were uber excited to see Keaton back in the role. I have my doubts about this vision. I really want to have faith in his vision but it's off to a rocky start for me. The good news is it can't be much worse than the Snyderverse right?

I put this more on Snyder than Cavill. I'd love to see a good Superman movie with Henry in it and not the trash movies that Snyder made. None of those movies were any good. I know I'm not alone in that desire either.
So much this. I don't want to see the WB version of Superman and Smallville on the big screen. It's what TV is for. I am worried that's exactly where they are going based on the comments. Sorry, the DC mess has nothing to do with Henry. I loved Guardians but it has a specific tone that doesn't mesh with all of DC. If DC can find a better tonal balance like Marvel, it might be salvageable. If it's headed full blown into Suicide Squad 2 territory DC is in trouble. I really really want to have faith in Gunn but he sure is making it hard.

I actually like Momoa as Aquaman, because he took a limp character and him interesting and cool.

And I pray that they keep Gadot as Wonder Woman. She was born for that role. I would say right now, Gadot is the closest thing to THE character, like Robert Downey Jr and Chris Evans are for theirs.
I feel the same way about both Gadot and Henry in their respective roles. Fans loved both. Gunn might very well know what he is doing but he sure is alienating a ton of fans out of the gate. I am sorry but if Gunn is the genius everyone thinks he is? He should keep Gadot and Henry both. The multiverse is a staple in both MCU/DC.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I realize other stories about this have been posted. This Twitter thread has some crazy responses.

Yeah people are pissed.

It's not a Snyderverse thing. It is about having well cast actors get dumped.

You don't dump Jackman and Reynolds after an awful Wolverine Origins movie. You get them in better movies.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah people are pissed.

You don't dump Jackman and Reynolds after an awful Wolverine Origins movie. You get them in better movies.
So this.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course I think Cavill is the next best Superman after Reeve, but we're only talking about Brandon Routh as the only other option.

Cavill has the look, but the character wasn't HIS. Hard to explain. You can't picture anybody outside of Robert Downey Jr. to play Iron Man, but there are certainly options beyond Cavill for Superman.
I think the thing that the DCU lacked was actually flawed characters. Supes, WW, and even the Batman iterations showed characters that are too stoic and not really relatable. And I think that is from the writing. Marvel does a great job with their character development in that each one has a resonance that people can understand and identify with on top of being a superhero.

Just a thought.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah people are pissed.

If they want to go younger, then they won't use Cavill. Plain and simple. End of story. The only people mentioning Smallville and Superboy are people on this thread -- going younger doesn't mean "Smallville".

Rumor is that Cavill isn't leaving DC and will play a different character moving forward.

But a "HUGE MISTAKE"? Not even close. Batman has changed multiple times and people might have gotten worked up at the time, but outside of the Val Kilmer/George Clooney debacle, it's proven that the same character can <gasp!> use different actors.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think the thing that the DCU lacked was actually flawed characters. Supes, WW, and even the Batman iterations showed characters that are too stoic and not really relatable. And I think that is from the writing. Marvel does a great job with their character development in that each one has a resonance that people can understand and identify with on top of being a superhero.

Just a thought.
That is a good point. Superman is probably the most boring superhero there is. Cavill may have looked the part, but he killed people without hesitation in Man of Steel which is NOT the character. Again, everyone is complaining, basing it on how he looked as Superman, which was pretty good, but he didn't make the character his own by any stretch of the imagination. That's not Cavill's fault, it's the way he was written by Zach Snyder.

I thought Cavill embodied Geralt much more than he did Superman.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they want to go younger, then they won't use Cavill. Plain and simple. End of story. The only people mentioning Smallville and Superboy are people on this thread -- going younger doesn't mean "Smallville".

Rumor is that Cavill isn't leaving DC and will play a different character moving forward.

But a "HUGE MISTAKE"? Not even close. Batman has changed multiple times and people might have gotten worked up at the time, but outside of the Val Kilmer/George Clooney debacle, it's proven that the same character can <gasp!> use different actors.
]

It's definitely not just here. Read the comments on Gunn's announcement. Everyone is saying young Superman has been done to death. This has gone over like a lead balloon.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
]

It's definitely not just here. Read the comments on Gunn's announcement. Everyone is saying young Superman has been done to death. This has gone over like a lead balloon.
Ho hum. The DC universe has been a disaster for years. Scrapping and starting over is a) expected from Warner Discovery and b) not a big deal based on the quality of the films that came before it. That's it.

Young Superman has been done to death (Krypton anyone?) but it hasn't been done by James Gunn and it has yet to be part of a bigger DC universe.

My biggest question at this point besides if they are going to keep Gadot is where The Flash movie fits into everything, if at all?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean it's fair to wonder the point of any of the upcoming DC films. Flash, Aquaman, and Shazam.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I mean it's fair to wonder the point of any of the upcoming DC films. Flash, Aquaman, and Shazam.
Shazam is an interesting one -- it's the most "Marvel" of all the movies with the exception of the first Wonder Woman, so I'm also curious what this means for that. Black Adam sure didn't help.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a good point. Superman is probably the most boring superhero there is. Cavill may have looked the part, but he killed people without hesitation in Man of Steel which is NOT the character. Again, everyone is complaining, basing it on how he looked as Superman, which was pretty good, but he didn't make the character his own by any stretch of the imagination. That's not Cavill's fault, it's the way he was written by Zach Snyder.

I thought Cavill embodied Geralt much more than he did Superman.

It's hard for these movies to develop characters with the hyper-fast pace people expect these days. Simple, human moments are discarded for the next jump cut to action. For the audience to feel something from the characters, there has to be some space in between emotional beats or they just get steamrolled into one long action sequence. And it needs to be more than deep, meaningful looks into the sky or some crap.

Then, we need stars to align between director, screenplay, and the actors. Iron Man was a great example of that. When it's done right you can take a fairly unknown (to the general public) character like Tony Stark and get a brilliant take by Downey Jr, and he makes the character him! Reeves did that, Jackman did that. I don't feel like Cavill ever did that for me as Supes, but it could have been because those stars never aligned like they did in the other examples I mentioned.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
]

Young Superman has literally hasn’t been on the big screen since 1979. Smallville was on TV, but not just that, had a small audience on the smallest network. The things YOU believe have been done to the death might resonate with the major comic book nerds, but it’s not close to the overall viewing public.

Way I see it, die hard Comic Book geeks will see this, if only so they can pay themsevles on the back and trash it if it doesn’t work and for the rest of the movie going public, it WILL be something fresh because they’ve literally never seen a big screen movie about young Superman story. The quality of the film will determine if it’s a success at that point, not Supes age, IMO:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Young Superman has literally hasn’t been on the big screen since 1979.

Die hard Comic Book geeks will see this, if only so they can pay themsevles on the back and trash it if it doesn’t work and for the rest of the movie going public, it WILL be something fresh because they’ve literally never seen a big screen movie about young Superman story. The quality of the film will determine if it’s a success at that point, not Supes age, IMO:
The best and the closest thing to a young Superman story in recent years was a little movie called Brightburn. Written by James Gunn's brother and cousin and produced by Gunn himself.

DC's new young Superman won't be too young if he is already a reporter in Metropolis.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Young Superman was the first part of Man of Steel. I know the movie is meh but it is there.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose