THE WAY OF THE GUNN - DCU’S NEW ERA

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Of all the Snyder stuff, this was by far the worst. Worse than Martha.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On seeing that clip at least I am guaranteed no more Amy Adams. There is always a bright side.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Young Superman was the first part of Man of Steel. I know the movie is meh but it is there.
I stand corrected. Young Superman has been done to death, to the tune of 20 total minutes over the last 42 years.

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HAHA first world problems, amirite?
Roll out the predictable petition to bring back Cavill and Fire Gunn. Some fans think they run DC. SMH.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha

The one indisputable fact about Warner Discovery is they unequivocally DGAF about fan petitions.
I can’t believe they canceled Minx. AFTER they shot the entire second season!

That sucks.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think the thing that the DCU lacked was actually flawed characters. Supes, WW, and even the Batman iterations showed characters that are too stoic and not really relatable. And I think that is from the writing. Marvel does a great job with their character development in that each one has a resonance that people can understand and identify with on top of being a superhero.

Just a thought.
This. All day this.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The best and the closest thing to a young Superman story in recent years was a little movie called Brightburn. Written by James Gunn's brother and cousin and produced by Gunn himself.

DC's new young Superman won't be too young if he is already a reporter in Metropolis.
I’ve always meant to watch that and always forget

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they want to go younger, then they won't use Cavill. Plain and simple. End of story. The only people mentioning Smallville and Superboy are people on this thread -- going younger doesn't mean "Smallville".

Rumor is that Cavill isn't leaving DC and will play a different character moving forward.

But a "HUGE MISTAKE"? Not even close. Batman has changed multiple times and people might have gotten worked up at the time, but outside of the Val Kilmer/George Clooney debacle, it's proven that the same character can <gasp!> use different actors.
That might be plain and simple but it makes no sense then. How much younger would the Superman be compared to HC?? Too close and people are not going to be able to get HC out of their heads. Any younger than that and we are talking young Clark which nobody really has touched because it's not a fan favorite. Smallville was the first successful attempt but it had a very CW feel for a different audience. Yeah that would be a huge mistake because a few years younger would be ultimately stupid.

The big difference between your Batman examples is that they replaced Batman when fans were not good with those iterations. That is not the case with HC. He is pretty muched loved along with Gadot. I didn't see fans pissed off they replaced Val or George.

P.S. HC fans are really really pissed now that he left Witcher for seemingly no reason since his return to MOS was rumored to be a major reason.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That might be plain and simple but it makes no sense then. How much younger would the Superman be compared to HC?? Too close and people are not going to be able to get HC out of their heads. Any younger than that and we are talking young Clark which nobody really has touched because it's not a fan favorite. Smallville was the first successful attempt but it had a very CW feel for a different audience. Yeah that would be a huge mistake because a few years younger would be ultimately stupid.

The big difference between your Batman examples is that they replaced Batman when fans were not good with those iterations. That is not the case with HC. He is pretty muched loved along with Gadot. I didn't see fans pissed off they replaced Val or George.

P.S. HC fans are really really pissed now that he left Witcher for seemingly no reason since his return to MOS was rumored to be a major reason.
Nobody thought anything of Henry Cavill as Superman for years until he makes a cameo at the end of Black Adam - because he was next to useless in Justice League. Oh and let's not forget he DIES in only his 2nd movie AND to top it off, he's not even the top billed character in that movie. And NOW he's this iconic actor in the role? Come on.

And people were pissed that he was "rumored" to choose Superman over Witcher. That just proves the rumors are just that: rumors.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody thought anything of Henry Cavill as Superman for years until he makes a cameo at the end of Black Adam - because he was next to useless in Justice League. Oh and let's not forget he DIES in only his 2nd movie AND to top it off, he's not even the top billed character in that movie. And NOW he's this iconic actor in the role? Come on.

And people were pissed that he was "rumored" to choose Superman over Witcher. That just proves the rumors are just that: rumors.
That simply isn't true. If you frequent fan forums or social media, fans have been clamoring for more HC. The other stuff you are talking about has nothing to do with HC. That was crappy snyderverse stuff. I don't see how that proves what your saying either. If anything it makes perfect sense why he left Witcher if he planned on returning to that role along with his other projects. His rumored return was BEFORE the Gunn announcement (him taking charge of DC).

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
That simply isn't true. If you frequent fan forums or social media, fans have been clamoring for more HC. The other stuff you are talking about has nothing to do with HC. That was crappy snyderverse stuff. I don't see how that proves what you’re saying either. If anything it makes perfect sense why he left Witcher if he planned on returning to that role along with his other projects. His rumored return was BEFORE the Gunn announcement (him taking charge of DC).
Which goes back to Chris’s point yesterday:

“You don't dump Jackman and Reynolds after an awful Wolverine Origins movie. You get them in better movies.”

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That simply isn't true. If you frequent fan forums or social media, fans have been clamoring for more HC. The other stuff you are talking about has nothing to do with HC. That was crappy snyderverse stuff. I don't see how that proves what your saying either. If anything it makes perfect sense why he left Witcher if he planned on returning to that role along with his other projects. His rumored return was BEFORE the Gunn announcement (him taking charge of DC).
Every movie he's done as Superman is part of the "crappy synderverse." So what are you actually referring to?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every movie he's done as Superman is part of the "crappy synderverse." So what are you actually referring to?
Actually the first 2/3rd of MOS (or at least the first half was pretty good). Many fans were hoping someone else would get a crack and using HC. I think Gunn could have done wonders with it. Same with Gadot. Some of his scenes were highlights of some of those movies too. It's just the entire films were not great. Again, not his fault.
live footage of Covert right now…

Uhhhhh....OK. 1 out of 10.

Last edited:

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
We've been clamoring for years in the fan forums to get a non-snyderverse Superman movie with HC. Everyone sees DC as being mismanaged over the last decade by Snyder and WB. The dream has been a reboot outside of Snyder with HC and a good script.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson