Chiefs at Cardinals gameday thread 9-11-22

Red on White

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He didn't have consistent interior pressure. He was just bad.
Feel like Kyler loses faith in his interior line quickly

If the rushers get to him a couple of times early in a game it gets in his head. Perceived pressure, rushes things, doesn't take the extra split second to see the field

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, the Dortch part worked, and it was also Dortch that decided that by his play... just wished our TEs were more involved, but nothing derails an offense more than a defense which cannot get the opposing offense off the field and prevent them from scoring
Kyler can’t intermediate routes over the middle. Linemen get their hands up, or Kyler doesn’t have time. If the nitwit could understand the benefit of getting under center he could buy time with a designed moving pocket.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe don't draft a tiny QB?

Maybe have a coaching staff that can make adjustments?
Kingsbury is this supposed genius at play design and play calling. He is neither. He won’t demand Kyler get under center. The only time Kyler moves the pocket is when pressure flushed him out.
We cannot and will not be a consistent offense by hoping Murray can make a highlight reel play. That is not what I call a great offense.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Kingsbury is this supposed genius at play design and play calling. He is neither. He won’t demand Kyler get under center. The only time Kyler moves the pocket is when pressure flushed him out.
We cannot and will not be a consistent offense by hoping Murray can make a highlight reel play. That is not what I call a great offense.
You are under the assumption that the reason Kyler is not under center is because Kyler does not like to be under center and hence Kingsbury does ask him to do so. The reality is that Kingbury does not like his QB under center which he stated in one of the pressers before the start of this season. I am not saying this is a wise decision, only giving what seems to be the reason. Now, Kyler might not like being under center, but Kyler's feelings are not what is dictating this choice of play calling

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are under the assumption that the reason Kyler is not under center is because Kyler does not like to be under center and hence Kingsbury does ask him to do so. The reality is that Kingbury does not like his QB under center which he stated in one of the pressers before the start of this season. I am not saying this is a wise decision, only giving what seems to be the reason. Now, Kyler might not like being under center, but Kyler's feelings are not what is dictating this choice of play calling
Bingo.

From an old article:

Kingsbury then went on to describe why the shotgun formation helps a quarterback:

“It just eliminates having to get away from the center. Those are big guys pushing back in your face right away. So, you’re seeing a clearer picture sooner. Whereas when you’re under center, it takes a while to see the field and see that clear picture. To me, you’re able to see it clearer pre-snap and post-snap.”

Kingsbury favors the shotgun formation so much, The Republic asked him if he could envision the Cardinals running it in goal-line situations.

“Yeah,” he said. “I mean, we’ve done both. I think there’s a time to get under center when you’re right there and you need to sneak or a quick hitter. But for the most part, shotgun, I haven’t found a reason not to be in it.”

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Bingo.

From an old article:

Kingsbury then went on to describe why the shotgun formation helps a quarterback:

“It just eliminates having to get away from the center. Those are big guys pushing back in your face right away. So, you’re seeing a clearer picture sooner. Whereas when you’re under center, it takes a while to see the field and see that clear picture. To me, you’re able to see it clearer pre-snap and post-snap.”

Kingsbury favors the shotgun formation so much, The Republic asked him if he could envision the Cardinals running it in goal-line situations.

“Yeah,” he said. “I mean, we’ve done both. I think there’s a time to get under center when you’re right there and you need to sneak or a quick hitter. But for the most part, shotgun, I haven’t found a reason not to be in it.”
The only problem with the Shotgun is that it also allows the defense to see it sooner too

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Bingo.

From an old article:

Aha, good info.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. I don’t think either one likes being under center.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
No he is not. He definitely is the reason we didn't even stay in the game. Or co-reason with KK.
I see it like this, most offenses need time on the field to gel and the Cards really had no chance to get into any sort of a rhythm. Not only did the Chief offense stay on the field, they kept scoring which did not help adding more pressure on our offense to find their mojo so to speak. There is a difference to having a token defense which can make a few stops and what the Cardinals currently have which is not even that lol

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I see it like this, most offenses need time on the field to gel and the Cards really had no chance to get into any sort of a rhythm. Not only did the Chief offense stay on the field, they kept scoring which did not help adding more pressure on our offense to find their mojo so to speak. There is a difference to having a token defense which can make a few stops and what the Cardinals currently have which is not even that lol
I think we talked about this a lot in the offseason. KM will bear the brunt of the pressure to make up for a lousy defense. He's not always going to get multiple series to settle in and get a rhythm. Especially as a top-3 paid QB, his job will be to force the offense into that rhythm and to lift the offense around him. That way, we get those long scoring drives, and our offense gets to keep their offense off the field. That's how we win this season, and that's how KM shows he has progressed. In the first game of the season, he very much failed at that and didn't prove he was worth the big contract. He needs to turn that around moving forward, and quickly, otherwise this season will get really ugly, really quickly.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s the bottom line. I think Kyler would be much better playing in a system designed but not dependent on his athletic ability. Kliff is failing him. McVae, Shanahan and Caroll would have Kyler playing much better.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
We lost because we could get no pressure from the interior of our DL and we could not block with the interior of our OL. This is why the game looked eerily similar to that Ram debacle. It is so obvious to see at the start of every play that some look past and concentrate on everything past the initial line of scrimmage. The trenches, right at the core, will dismantle any plan our coaches will come up with... this is on Keim for not seeing this, or rather not fixing this
We lost because bird city is a crap slogan, and passed ourselves to death with 3 and outs Again and again and again, poor defense got out for a minute then right back in against a great offense. Finally ran a lil balance on the scoring drive, then right back passing like our hair was on fire.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm the only one who thinks KM played bad? Have you read the board today?

No man. 1 guy as in Harlow. He's trying to say Kyler was under constant pressure because Harlow didn't play well.

Kyler sucked, lots of times he had a bunch of time and sucked. Kliff sucked too. I thought his play calling was garbage ultra conservative vanilla trash.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Here’s the bottom line. I think Kyler would be much better playing in a system designed but not dependent on his athletic ability. Kliff is failing him. McVae, Shanahan and Caroll would have Kyler playing much better.
I'm pretty sure that's the system he's supposed to be in now. I think that Kyler and his family have very specific ideas about how he wants to play, which limits the flexibility that Kliff and rest of the offensive staff have.

Putting players in motion is a cheat code in the NFL. Having players move to different positions is a cheat code in the NFL. None of these guys are stupid. There's a reason that the coaches aren't doing it with Kyler when they were with McCoy.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyler was bad example

This was his 1st read throw to Green that was under thrown and hit the defender in the back

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought this one was funny.

The whole line is all over the place and Will Hernandez is miles away all along just killing his dude

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jason Brown is a douche but he's spot on here