Suns had a COVID Outbreak in the Playoffs

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Alternate story is CP3 is the sick person and insists on playing through. Monty wants him to sit. Monty loses the argument. Ayton's pissed he is risking his family playing with sick CP3 and gives less effort. Monty says he quit. Everything internal

There are several ways it can play out and get the same results. Based on the 5 main things we know you see a locker room fracture quickly and the only known denominator right now is a bunch of sick people
You’d think a locker room that was as close as ours would’ve been capable of getting through something like this.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
OH Wow! It makes soo much sense now. It was all a big misunderstanding. WE WERE SICK.
Ayton didn't say F you to Monte he said Ah Choo! Booker acted like a spoiled ***** because he was sick.
Cam Payne was in real Pain. Monte didn't play the bench, use our center properly or call time outs at the right time because he was sick.
The poor refs missed ALL those calls because of Covid.

If we had Covid, everyone had it. Using THIS as an excuse is BUSHLEAGUE and I wont be a part of it.
We got our cocky asses handed to us plain and simple, we can't recover from that until we remove our heads from our butts.
Admit it and move on, we lost it sucks. No need to break up the team that won 64 games.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OH Wow! It makes soo much sense now. It was all a big misunderstanding. WE WERE SICK.
Ayton didn't say F you to Monte he said Ah Choo! Booker acted like a spoiled ***** because he was sick.
Cam Payne was in real Pain. Monte didn't play the bench, use our center properly or call time outs at the right time because he was sick.

If we had Covid, everyone had it. Using THIS as an excuse is BUSHLEAGUE and I wont be a part of it.
We got our cocky asses handed to us plain and simple, we can't recover from that until we remove our heads from our butts.
Admit it and move on, we lost it sucks. No need to break up the team that won 64 games.

Yeah, I don't see the Suns players or others in the organization using this as an excuse. The media is the one putting this story out.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Who is making this excuse though? The Suns certainly don't want this type of publicity. They didn't leak this. The Suns players are not out there making this excuse. This is the media putting it out there as an excuse to generate eyeballs on the stories. It's pathetic no matter the truth behind this because most fans and the Suns are not using this as an excuse IMO.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who is making this excuse though? The Suns certainly don't want this type of publicity. They didn't leak this. The Suns players are not out there making this excuse. This is the media putting it out there as an excuse to generate eyeballs on the stories. It's pathetic no matter the truth behind this because most fans and the Suns are not using this as an excuse IMO.
yeah - if anything, it makes the Suns and the NBA look really bad

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
yes, the problem with this news, is not that the Suns put this out, let it out, or is using it as any excuse
-- it's that they didn't put this out. they withheld it -- for obvious reasons
and would prefer that it never got out!

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
CP3 getting covid AGAIN, during the playoffs, says a lot about him. He either thinks it doesn't bother him or that it wont happen to him. Not to mention the disregard for the team.

I'm thinking his birthday and the playoffs dont mix well together.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
CP3 getting covid AGAIN, during the playoffs, says a lot about him. He either thinks it doesn't bother him or that it wont happen to him. Not to mention the disregard for the team.

I'm thinking his birthday and the playoffs dont mix well together.
My biggest issue and I said this before the playoffs. With Covid being such a threat, why teams don't enforce a strict curfew for the playoffs is beyond me. You either care about playing and being their for your team or you care about partying, going out to clubs and taking chances instead.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
My biggest issue and I said this before the playoffs. With Covid being such a threat, why teams don't enforce a strict curfew for the playoffs is beyond me. You either care about playing and being their for your team or you care about partying, going out to clubs and taking chances instead.

I think I remember reading something about Chris Paul pushing a curfew among the other players during the playoffs. Anyone else remember seeing this?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I remember reading something about Chris Paul pushing a curfew among the other players during the playoffs. Anyone else remember seeing this?

I remember the same. I didn't hear much about it during the series with the Mavericks but it was mentioned in the Pelicans series.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
interesting
so this is how it could have played out...

the family has a birthday party for Paul.
his school-aged children pass the virus (75% of kids have had it).
he has symptoms game 6, but he (and Monty) knows if he gets tested and has it, he's out
and the rest of the team would have to get tested too, and more would likely be out
so they take the gamble

Paul tests positive AFTER game 7
and the other players who may or may not have had it,
may never have even tested for it at that point

then Doncic had obvious symptoms, and Dallas took the same risk

did it start with Paul
or did it start even earlier with the Pelican's taking the risk?

or, to get real--real, did it start from a fan in the arena?
someone mentioned the risk of the Suns giving it to fans
but, hell, there are no restrictions and protocols on nearly 100,000 fans in the building

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember the same. I didn't hear much about it during the series with the Mavericks but it was mentioned in the Pelicans series.

The reality is we could be living with this forever. If you look at all the infections the past two playoffs around the league it appears the honor system isn't working.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
interesting
so this is how it could have played out...

the family has a birthday party for Paul.
his school-aged children pass the virus (75% of kids have had it).
he has symptoms game 6, but he (and Monty) knows if he gets tested and has it, he's out
and the rest of the team would have to get tested too, and more would likely be out
so they take the gamble

Paul tests positive AFTER game 7
and the other players who may or may not have had it,
may never have even tested for it at that point

then Doncic had obvious symptoms, and Dallas took the same risk

did it start with Paul
or did it start even earlier with the Pelican's taking the risk?

CJ McC had it during our seriess with them

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reality is we could be living with this forever. If you look at all the infections the past two playoffs it appears the honor system isn't working.

Or when you get to a certain age, quit celebrating birthdays.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They’re supposed to adults but I would think if I were a member of the team I’d discuss a self imposed team curfew. It’s a month and a half. It shouldn’t be that tough to stay safe (other than those with kids who bring it home from school).

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
COVID is super odd. 2 days ago I felt great and today I feel dead. Really really odd.
My first symptom was that I felt off. I don't know how else to put it. Not sick but off. My wife kind of shrugged it off as not eating well or something that night. My next symptom was a sore throat a day later. Then the day after I fell off a cliff. Felt horrible for days. Still dealing with this damn Covid cough while all my other symptoms are gone weeks later. Wife and son had fevers for days and felt like crap when they caught it. Covid sucks.

Last edited:

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
as it turns out, doing the right thing would have worked out better for everyone

the Suns would have played with a depleted line-up or even forfeited
we would have lost anyway
but we'd have been spared the embarrassment and dishonor
and all the outrage from fair-weather fans

i'd like to think i'd have done the right thing and tested
but it would be disingenuous for me say it wouldn't be one &%$#@! of a decision
-- to be at the doorstep of a life's dream that i'd worked so hard for
and not even be able to go to the game
because i might pass the virus to other strong, young, healthy, vaccinated players
while screaming people all around them in the stands were already putting them and each other at risk

and in my head i'm rationalizing -- it may just be some other common ailment anyway

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Only thing the Suns did wrong was not sitting Paul if he had symptoms. Of course it’s impossible to be sure when they started but he was truly awful after game two. With a 2-0 cushion it would’ve made sense to rest him but as we know Paul has full autonomy over Monty/Jones regarding that staff.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
as it turns out, doing the right thing would have worked out better for everyone

the Suns would have played with a depleted line-up or even forfeited
we would have lost anyway
but we'd have been spared the embarrassment and dishonor
and all the outrage from fair-weather fans

i'd like to think i'd have done the right thing and tested
but it would be disingenuous for me say it wouldn't be one &%$#@! of a decision
-- to be at the doorstep of a life's dream that i'd worked so hard for
and not even be able to go to the game
because i might pass the virus to other strong, young, healthy, vaccinated players
while screaming people all around them in the stands were already putting them and each other at risk

and in my head i'm rationalizing -- it may just be some other common ailment anyway
"Embarrassment and dishonor from fair-weather fans"? Who are you talking to exactly? You are posting on a forum with fans who have been here though the thick and thin.

Also, if there is anybody to blame? Blame the league. The league has signaled to the teams that everything is the honor system so they can salvage ratings for the playoffs. The league feels it's not as important now that most players are vaccinated. Teams all over the league are following the same lead.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first symptom was that I felt off. I don't know how else to put it. Not sick but off. My wife kind of shrugged it off as not eating well or something that night. My next symptom was a sore throat a day later. Then the day after I feel off a cliff. Felt horrible for days. Still dealing with this damn Covid cough while all my other symptoms are gone weeks later. Wife and son had fevers for days and felt like crap when they caught it. Covid sucks.
After 15 months )got it pre-vax) my cough appears at times

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I've been socially distancing since the 80's, I don't like people or crowds.
I was built for this ****.