Suns had a COVID Outbreak in the Playoffs

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This really needs it's own thread. It's all over the local radio this morning. Bickley had Sam Amrick on the show.

The Phoenix Suns were managing a COVID-19 outbreak as their season fell apart, multiple sources told The Athletic, with six individuals — including one player — testing positive either late in the Western Conference semifinals or the day after Game 7.

The player tested positive the day after Game 7. The Athletic does not identify individuals who test positive for COVID-19 unless their names are made public by the team, league or the individuals themselves. The others who tested positive were support staffers.

As a result of the outbreak, the Suns could not hold season-ending exit meetings between players and coaches at their practice facility and instead conducted a team-wide meeting via Zoom. Information in this story was confirmed by more than a half-dozen sources.

The ordeal raised questions internally about whether they were following the league’s rules for testing. The NBA requires all team personnel, regardless of vaccine status, to test for the virus if they are experiencing symptoms, and they may not play, coach or be at team facilities if they test positive.

The Suns, who privately insist there was no breach of protocol, declined to comment publicly for this story.

“I think it’s very clear that nobody wanted to report stuff,” said one source with knowledge of the Suns’ positive tests who was not authorized to speak publicly about them. “And this is where it gets dicey.”

A league spokesman told The Athletic, “The NBA has seen no evidence to suggest any rules violations by Suns players or staff.” A league source added the NBA could always revisit the situation if new information emerged.

The Mavericks had grown concerned about the rumblings too, with one Dallas source indicating the discussion about a rumored Suns outbreak began as early as Game 5.

“(COVID-19) was on everybody’s mind,” one source close to the situation said

So the NBA basically has an honor system on testing in the playoffs. CJ McCollum has already admitted he had COVID during the play in run and he had to self test. Players are being left to own if they need to be tested or if it's just a cold.

Amrick basically said this was why the team was full of discontent at the end of the year, especially between Paul and Monty

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And just because a single player chose to test and chose to report it doesn't mean it wasn't more wide spread.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So did McCollum give it to the Suns?

The NBA Covid "policy", like most things the NBA Office does, was a joke.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This really needs it's own thread. It's all over the local radio this morning. Bickley had Sam Amrick on the show.

So the NBA basically has an honor system on testing in the playoffs. CJ McCollum has already admitted he had COVID during the play in run and he had to self test. Players are being left to own if they need to be tested or if it's just a cold.

Amrick basically said this was why the team was full of discontent at the end of the year, especially between Paul and Monty

It helps explain the quiet about the Suns collapse from those within the organization.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The Mavs should’ve been dispatched of by the Suns before game 7 like the Warriors did to them. Dallas isn’t a great team or even close to one IMO.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Here is a link to the interview with Sam Amick of The Athletic on Arizona Sports.

I recall the announcers reporting Luka was under the weather early in the WCF's against the Warriors.

I really hope CP3 had it and that is the explanation for his extreme fall off in play.

And if Covid really did wreck us, why blow up the team? Why not just address deficiencies and run it back?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This could explain a lot actually. The sudden drop in production. This virus takes a toll on some. I'm thinking it was CP3 again, like last year, and didn't he get it earlier this year too? Just speculation on my part about cp3 getting it, and just trying to play.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recall the announcers reporting Luka was under the weather early in the WCF's against the Warriors.

I really hope CP3 had it and that is the explanation for his extreme fall off in play.

And if Covid really did wreck us, why blow up the team? Why not just address deficiencies and run it back?

I hope the Suns do run it back with some tweaks. They do need to add more play makers and shooters though.

Payne, Shamet and Payton were not reliable off the bench.

IMO, Paul did not sound like himself in the postgame interview after game 6.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
This could explain a lot actually. The sudden drop in production. This virus takes a toll on some. I'm thinking it was CP3 again, like last year, and didn't he get it earlier this year too? Just speculation on my part about cp3 getting it, and just trying to play.

He's older too and would likely be more symptomatic. Remember him verbally relishing in the fact that there was finally a 2 day break between game 6 and 7.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Folster

ASFN Icon
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Luka averaged 30+ against the Warriors. Looked fine to me.
He's 23 and not 37. CP3's dramatic drop in play and aggressiveness is inexplicable. It might have hit him especially hard if he was the one that had it. We're just searching for some sort of explanation. The Suns certainly weren't firing on all cylinders, but that doesn't explain the epic collapse that we witnessed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luka averaged 30+ against the Warriors. Looked fine to me.

Looked fine doesn't change he very likely had COVID and what that means for everyone else. The Suns have 5 staffers positive and that is just what is reported.

This is the start of a big story in regards to the NBA as a whole.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's 23 and not 37. CP3's dramatic drop in play and aggressiveness is inexplicable. It might have him him especially hard if he was the one that had it. We're just searching for some sort of explanation. The Suns certainly weren't firing on all cylinders, but that doesn't explain the epic collapse that we witnessed.

I think it’s pretty safe to say if you have Covid your not gonna be averaging 32 points a game in a series no matter how old you are.

If CP3 had it he needs to come out and say something I feel. Your supposed to be the leader. You don’t let the media run with speculation for three weeks.

I said he looked hurt. He was up and down in the Pels series but the fall off from game 2 to 3 was like nothing I’ve ever seen. Injury, personal problems, Covid who knows

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looked fine doesn't change he very likely had COVID and what that means for everyone else. The Suns have 5 staffers positive and that is just what is reported.

This is the start of a big story in regards to the NBA as a whole.

I don’t pay attention to the Mavs or Mavs message boards are they saying anything?

Folster

ASFN Icon
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think it’s pretty safe to say if you have Covid your not gonna be averaging 32 points a game in a series no matter how old you are.

If CP3 had it he needs to come out and say something I feel. Your supposed to be the leader. You don’t let the media run with speculation for three weeks.

I said he looked hurt. He was up and down in the Pels series but the fall off from game 2 to 3 was like nothing I’ve ever seen. Injury, personal problems, Covid who knows

Yeah he should come out and admit he knowingly played with Covid and exposed thousands of people to it so he can be crucified by the media and accused of trying to kill people. It will also play as him making excuses.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
My daughter (17) had Covid and it knocked her on her a**. My son (16) also got it and didn’t have a single symptom and it had no effect on him. Covid hits everyone different.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Right. Covid could provide the alibi the Suns need. There has to be some reason why the team went from excellent to awful overnight, and if the virus can be the scapegoat, it might be possible to sweep all of the personality conflicts under the rug.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My daughter (17) had Covid and it knocked her on her a**. My son (16) also got it and didn’t have a single symptom and it had no effect on him. Covid hits everyone different.

My entire family has it right now. I went for a 3 mile walk this morning. My wife is super fatigued.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right. Covid could provide the alibi the Suns need. There has to be some reason why the team went from excellent to awful overnight, and if the virus can be the scapegoat, it might be possible to sweep all of the personality conflicts under the rug.

I think it tore the chemistry up completely. Al McCoy said that before game 7 he could tell from the team that they were "cooked"

Folster

ASFN Icon
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic, but I'm leaning that way.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amrick said the initial thought was 6 players had COVID but only one tested and admitted it.

5 Staffers tested and admitted.

To this day no one can agree how to handle COVID. I am isolating at home but I did go for a 3 mile open air exercise where I was near no one.

I can easily get disagreements from both sides just on that statement. Now imagine a team going for a championship and side developing? They clearly did with CP3 and Monty getting into it.