FA RB James Conner (Steelers) - Signed to Contract 04/13/21

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Did u want us to take someone else (easy to say now) Derrick Brown, Wirfs?
Regarding ranking higher a hybrid player Instead a specific positional player to play a certain position..
Football is changing
If a player is talented and versatile , u can use a high pick for a hybrid safety/lb to play ILB

Do u think selecting Pitts top 10 would be a problem for those teams wanting to play him WR, or they should draft a pure WR first ?
I'm not sure what you're getting at here... I wanted to draft Simmons, we drafted him, and I'm happy with that pick.

But it's his versatility that made him the pick, so it's not equal to say that De'Vondre Campbell had any weight on if we took Simmons or not as if it's an example that we'd still potentially take a 1st or 2nd round RB after signing Conner.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Conner looked very good... two years ago. To my eye test, he just didn't pass. He reminds me of Chester Taylor's days in the NFL, one really good year followed by a whole bunch of mediocrity. And I see the same player when I saw him run last year and in 2019.

Edmonds' career as a starter is sub 4.0, and that's what we're presumably counting on him for. We'll see. Maybe he's a star and holds up, I just don't have the same confidence others do that our offensive line is as good some seem to thing, since the right side is a huge question mark.

I would rather use a 1st or a 2nd and get an actually adequate player at a position that touches the ball more than anything but QB and Center rather than sitting in the bottom 5 in RB rooms.

Quite a few teams have won SUPER BOWLS with only mediocre backs. Bro...using a high pick on a back is a luxury. Conner is fine.

Nearly everything that you can bitch about this team, you do. It's hard to take some of seriously LOL.

I'm MUCH more worried about CB, a position with significantly more importance.

A RB may touch the ball often, but a good WR can get as many yards on one touch as a RB gets on three.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Quite a few teams have won SUPER BOWLS with only mediocre backs. Bro...using a high pick on a back is a luxury. Conner is fine.

Nearly everything that you can bitch about this team, you do. It's hard to take some of seriously LOL.

I'm MUCH more worried about CB, a position with significantly more importance.

A RB may touch the ball often, but a good WR can get as many yards on one touch as a RB gets on three.
I complain because we haven't had a winning season in half a decade. I think it's fair to not feel good about most of what this team does when our GM is a glaring problem holding us back. It's difficult for me to take most of you seriously who think everything is cool and this team's totes gonna be contending next year. Some of you would find the sunny side in eating expired meat if it was served in the Cardinals cafeteria.

This team's coaching and talent level outside of RB is not good enough to make up for being bad at RB. Building up a young QB to be successful doesn't happen with bad running games. Relying too much on Kyler's legs gets him hurt and then we slide out of the playoffs in the final games, like last year. This team has absolutely no pathway to winning a game that isn't Kyler being healthy and playing out of his mind, and that's the problem.

CB and RB are huge concerns. Both are looking like they will be significant problem areas that hurt us all year.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't want a RB to cost us a comp pick at this point. Hopefully he can wait till the deadline passes for that.

As far as JC goes...... Love his story..... Hate his durability...... And his speed is a question mark. this guy aint Drake in the top end speed department. He will be caught. ALOT.

And 4.3 behind the Steelers line is a far cry from the run blocking he will see here.

In short..... I'm not digging this one. In fact.... He's more puke worthy than serviceable in my opinion.
Keep in mind that the Steelers OL was downright putrid last year. Even if we sign Conners, we will still need to draft a RB at some point in this draft. Would be helpful if that isn't the 1st or 2nd round.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Stout has basically explained my feelings in this thread. We're still subpar at starting RB if we make the move. I don't have anything against Conner as a backup RB, but the duo of Edmonds and Conner screams sub-4.0 YPC to me. And a perfect reason for Keim to cop out of selecting an RB that will actually make an impact on this team, instead waiting until late day 3 to add some guy who will be a special teams player at best.
With a legit center anchoring our OL for the 1st time since the 70's, I expect our OL to perform significantly better than it has in decades. We already have a legit OL Coach, so I'm extremely excited to see this team run the ball far better than it has in decades.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Until the last year or two..... Absolutely. The Steelers O-Line was a strength the first two years of Conner's career.

He is 4.3 for his career because he was 4.5 in his first two seasons. With his 2nd season being his biggest (and healthiest) year.

What's fun to look at is Drake vs. Conner at the combine.

Drake's 40: 4.45
Conner's: 4.65

Drake's 10yd: 1.64
Conner's 10yd: 1.63

Drake's 20yd: 2.64
Conner's 20yd: 2.69

That is what breakaway speed looks like. Conner's going to get caught at 10 to 15 yards a lot more than any of us like. Especially with his extreme lack of elusiveness. And if he's running horizontally..... Which is KK's read option (5yds behind the line) he's going to be caught at the LOS a lot.
Drake was fine until we had a 3rd & 1 or 4th & 1. Then he was useless. I'm not expecting Conner to have 50 yard touchdown runs. He's a powerback, not a break away RB. He's a piece of the puzzle, but certainly not the RB1.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drake was fine until we had a 3rd & 1 or 4th & 1. Then he was useless. I'm not expecting Conner to have 50 yard touchdown runs. He's a powerback, not a break away RB. He's a piece of the puzzle, but certainly not the RB1.

can someone tell me when Conner became a “power back”? He always just struck me as an average running back who was kinda okay at everything but not really good at anything.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope we get him if the plan is he will only play in the event of injury.

He's not good enough to get snaps otherwise. However I highly doubt that is the plan - that's why I'm not happy.

"He's not good enough to get snaps"

Despite having three 100 yard rushing games last season and 936 yards from scrimmage despite never having more than 20 carries and only 11 starts.

Imagine what a player worth snaps could do...

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
can someone tell me when Conner became a “power back”? He always just struck me as an average running back who was kinda okay at everything but not really good at anything.

This is pretty much exactly what he is. He isn't a power back (although compared to Edmunds he is). But he's a good, solid, jack of all trades RB with solid production in the league that would cost VET MINIUMUM or there abouts.

All the hand wringing in this thread is ridiculous. It would be fantastic value to sign him for vet min.

And the people bemoaning it would be saying "Why didn't we do that deal? Keim sucks" if he signed for another team for vet min.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I complain because we haven't had a winning season in half a decade. I think it's fair to not feel good about most of what this team does when our GM is a glaring problem holding us back. It's difficult for me to take most of you seriously who think everything is cool and this team's totes gonna be contending next year. Some of you would find the sunny side in eating expired meat if it was served in the Cardinals cafeteria.

This team's coaching and talent level outside of RB is not good enough to make up for being bad at RB. Building up a young QB to be successful doesn't happen with bad running games. Relying too much on Kyler's legs gets him hurt and then we slide out of the playoffs in the final games, like last year. This team has absolutely no pathway to winning a game that isn't Kyler being healthy and playing out of his mind, and that's the problem.

CB and RB are huge concerns. Both are looking like they will be significant problem areas that hurt us all year.

He's got a point Solar. If Conner signed for the Seahawks for vet min you would moan "Why didn't Keim sign him for $1m? That's a bargain for a 25 year old RB with his experience"

I get the "darksider" mentality. I've been there. But it's getting to the point that some people moan about every single tiny move.

How many words have you spent in this thread moaning about a guy that would cost vet min and would be a solid RB2 for literally every team in the league?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
He's got a point Solar. If Conner signed for the Seahawks for vet min you would moan "Why didn't Keim sign him for $1m? That's a bargain for a 25 year old RB with his experience"

I get the "darksider" mentality. I've been there. But it's getting to the point that some people moan about every single tiny move.

How many words have you spent in this thread moaning about a guy that would cost vet min and would be a solid RB2 for literally every team in the league?

Ah, thank you for getting to the heart of the matter. We have, currently, a RB2 and trash on the roster. Why do we need another RB2 again? We don't. We need a RB1, which is the problem. No, not necessarily a bell cow or a star, but we certainly need a starter.

And how, suddenly, is he signing for the vet minimum? Who reported that?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ah, thank you for getting to the heart of the matter. We have, currently, a RB2 and trash on the roster. Why do we need another RB2 again? We don't. We need a RB1, which is the problem. No, not necessarily a bell cow or a star, but we certainly need a starter.

And how, suddenly, is he signing for the vet minimum? Who reported that?

As I've already said. The way forward is to have three RB2's.

I'd much, much rather have Edmonds, Conner and say, Jerrick McKinnon. Than an Aaron Jones taking 75-80% of handoffs. It's how the Ravens do it, it's how the Niners do it. The Bucs are doing the same. You can see what the Texans have planned with the signing they made and now having DJ, Ingram and Lindsey.

What do you think Conner is getting paid? He's what? The 23rd running back to sign in FA? Tevin COleman got $1.1m. Matt Breida $1m. Damian Williams $1.125. Maybe he's get Malcolm Brown money and stretch it to a whole $1.75m.

But thats the kind of range it's going to be in if not vet min.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
As I've already said. The way forward is to have three RB2's.

I'd much, much rather have Edmonds, Conner and say, Jerrick McKinnon. Than an Aaron Jones taking 75-80% of handoffs. It's how the Ravens do it, it's how the Niners do it. The Bucs are doing the same. You can see what the Texans have planned with the signing they made and now having DJ, Ingram and Lindsey.

What do you think Conner is getting paid? He's what? The 23rd running back to sign in FA? Tevin COleman got $1.1m. Matt Breida $1m. Damian Williams $1.125. Maybe he's get Malcolm Brown money and stretch it to a whole $1.75m.

But thats the kind of range it's going to be in if not vet min.

Great post.

With Conner, Edmonds, and maybe one of the two young backs emerge, the Cardinals can have a decent RB room. Not a great one, mind you, but a decent one.

And you aren't paying DRAKE $7 MILLION and likely getting the same or better production.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

The Cardinals were pretty damn close to a winning season last year. I'm hopefully cautious they might break through this year if some of the IFs work out. Just need a cornerback or two, a RB, and another TE and I'll judge this offseason as a success.

Is Conner worse than Drake? I don't think he is.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great post.

With Conner, Edmonds, and maybe one of the two young backs emerge, the Cardinals can have a decent RB room. Not a great one, mind you, but a decent one.

And you aren't paying DRAKE $7 MILLION and likely getting the same or better production.

It's the smart way forward because decent running backs that can operate in the NFL are in massive over supply and the trend looks set to continue.

There are several obvious advantages from an injury standpoint and rather than have 1 guy with 1 skillset, no matter how good he is, you can have a much wider range of things a defense must prepare for with 3 backs with differing ability than just the 1. And from a playbook perspective rather than have 1 guy learn 200 plays you can have have 3 guys each learn those they are best suited for (with some overlap obviously).

And you can get all those advantages for less money than paying one main guy.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Great post.

Like, no. Praying one of the backs on the roster gets better? And with only Conner and Edmonds? That's a well below-average RB room, even with the de-emphasis you're putting on the position.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Like, no. Praying one of the backs on the roster gets better? And with only Conner and Edmonds? That's a well below-average RB room, even with the de-emphasis you're putting on the position.

Please define above-average - average - below and well-below with a few examples?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"He's not good enough to get snaps"

Despite having three 100 yard rushing games last season and 936 yards from scrimmage despite never having more than 20 carries and only 11 starts.

Imagine what a player worth snaps could do...

No one ever said every team had a RB that was good enough to be a starter. I just don't want the Cards to be one of those teams. Anybody can run through big holes. You need a back that can create yardage by themselves.

If you watch him and think he is good enough, I don't know what to tell you.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No one ever said every team had a RB that was good enough to be a starter. I just don't want the Cards to be one of those teams. Anybody can run through big holes. You need a back that can create yardage by themselves.

If you watch him and think he is good enough, I don't know what to tell you.

He had 3 100 yard games in 11 starts and 4.3 YPC, both higher than Drake, with PFF's 31st ranked run blocking O line. I'm not sure what "big holes" he was running through.

And he's likely to cost what? 15% of what Drake cost? Maybe 20% tops?

Conner isn't a top draw guy, but he's good by NFL standards, and he would be great value.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Please define above-average - average - below and well-below with a few examples?

This is the 49ers running back room from last year. A team with in the top half of the league rushing (without a mobile QB)

Raheem Mostert, a 29 year old UDFA on his 5th team in 6 years who's never had more than 772 yards in a season. And he was RB1.

Tevin Coleman, a journeyman RB2 who's never passed 800 yards.

Jerick McKinnon, a 28 year old journeyman RB2 who has never passed 570 rushing yards.

Jeff Wilson Jr, an UDFA in his 3rd year and perennial RB3/RB4.

Mycal Hasty and UDFA rookie.

They had a buttload of injuries and Coleman and Mostert didn't make half a season. McKinnon started Ok but was then dropped and Wilson ended up leading the team.

Drake and Edmunds had 1400 yards. The 5 Niners had 1600 (and Coleman only 55 of them), and they were able to carry the injuries to Coleman and Mostert much easier.