Grizzlies @ Suns Sunday game thread 1-5-20

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be surprised if the plan was to find ways to deliver the ball to Ayton down low as often as possible... And that didn’t happen, at all!
I could see this being the source to Monty’s anger...
Well Booker was what 13/20 FG's something like that. I'll take that almost every night. But yes Ayton needs to be fed. And he needs to work for feeds/positioning.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well first thing we need to do is not have Ayton throwing picks 30 feet from the basket. Since we don't do pick and rolls, what's the use? I think one of the main reasons are 2 big lineup has worked (not for long, but it does work for at least 5 good minutes) is because Ayton ISN'T the one throwing screens at the 3 point line.

But for the last 3 quarters, he would go way out on top, and guess what? He gets out of the play because we don't run Pick & Rolls.

And of course we can't run pick and rolls with Ayton because Rubio isn't a good enough shooter (just defend Ayton and give Rubio the jumper he is almost certain to miss) and because Booker isn't a good enough passer (a turnover waiting to happen in that situation, as we have seen over the last year and a half).

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Well first thing we need to do is not have Ayton throwing picks 30 feet from the basket. Since we don't do pick and rolls, what's the use? I think one of the main reasons are 2 big lineup has worked (not for long, but it does work for at least 5 good minutes) is because Ayton ISN'T the one throwing screens at the 3 point line.

But for the last 3 quarters, he would go way out on top, and guess what? He gets out of the play because we don't run Pick & Rolls.
Let's recap. Deandre came to us as a Power Forward. That is a fact.

Since arriving, he has avoided contact in the post. He has camped out at the 3-point line setting picks and shows no skill at maneuvering to the basket.

His rebounds are opportunity rebounds, not power rebounds. And he has announced that he is a Power Forward.

So, let's see. What is his best overall position? Uh, he was our #1 pick as a Center, so damnit, he's a Center. :shrug:

Square peg, round hole.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Since arriving, he has avoided contact in the post. He has camped out at the 3-point line setting picks and shows no skill at maneuvering to the basket.

His rebounds are opportunity rebounds, not power rebounds. And he has announced that he is a Power Forward.

So, let's see. What is his best overall position? Uh, he was our #1 pick as a Center, so damnit, he's a Center. :shrug:

Square peg, round hole.

With this roster it doesn't matter. Outside of Baynes, who is more of a power forward and less of a center than Ayton is, and Diallo, who doesn't get any regular playing time, this team has no NBA talent at center OR power forward.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Square peg, round hole.

He plays, by far, his best as a center, so who cares what he played part time in college.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
well, I just think your anger is misplaced if you're throwing it Baynes and not Monty and Ayton. Those are the two guys to blame here.

well, and Jones for making a bunch of moves to address the PF position that were just awful.
I'm not going to blame Monty if the players won't follow his game plan. But he better start pulling them if they won't and find somebody that will.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Suns desperately need someone else to step up consistently. Booker and Oubre just can't do it all by themselves. Rubio is doing fine, but he is really not a scoring threat. His job is to keep the offense running so that it doesn't look like it last year's offense. Bridges has been playing well, but he is not a scorer either. Cam is not consistent. Baynes is fine, but he is not a big time scorer. It needs to be Ayton. He had some moments tonight, especially on defense, but the Suns really need him to be the third guy who gives you 18+ points every night.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rubio in a vacuum isn't an issue

Rubio at his contract, which was widely rediculed by other NBA GMs, is

When teams are bidding for free agent talent they pay more.

When teams are lousy they have to pay more.

When filling a position of extreme need...they pay more.

When other free agent options are not as appealing...they pay more for the best option available.

I have no trouble with the Rubio signing. When was the last decent free agent that even signed with the suns?

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
How is Rubio such a bad signing?? You’re complaining just to do it. Maybe you’re just tired of using Ayton as a whipping boy so you turn to Rubio, who is the least of our problems.

Ive heard Rubio, Ayton and Booker as the least of our problems. So who
is the problem?

swagron

All Star
Reaction score

Square peg, round hole.

Luka

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ive heard Rubio, Ayton and Booker as the least of our problems. So who
is the problem?
The only constant over the last 4 years has been Booker and Sarver.

they are not getting another coach. They are not getting another star anytime soon. So they better just figure this out.

I do wonder if Baynes was playing for a trade, and now he is trying to force one.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The only constant over the last 4 years has been Booker and Sarver.

they are not getting another coach. They are not getting another star anytime soon. So they better just figure this out.

I do wonder if Baynes was playing for a trade, and now he is trying to force one.

All signs point to yes.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well guess valley boys aren't back yet...

Ugh very disappointing loss

Really need to beat kings at home

Just sucks bad booker gets 40 and still lose

I mean i like ayton but wish he had more of a inside punish gm like ad

Booker deserves all star despite record imho

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is all I could find...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This has some player comments.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Thanks. I didn't see anything controversial about what Rubio said.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When teams are bidding for free agent talent they pay more.

When teams are lousy they have to pay more.

When filling a position of extreme need...they pay more.

When other free agent options are not as appealing...they pay more for the best option available.

I have no trouble with the Rubio signing. When was the last decent free agent that even signed with the suns?

Oubre was a decent free agent but I wasn't certain the Suns could get it done. It should have been for more years.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, the most discouraging comment from the players is this. Suns can't keep planning for a tomorrow that never comes.

Kellan Olson‏Verified account @KellanOlson

A depressing line from Devin Booker: "It's some figuring out that we have to do. And hopefully we can do that sooner (rather) than later. I've been here 4 years and you want to get things going early to make the season a lot better and a lot more fun."

8:07 PM - 5 Jan 2020

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Again, the most discouraging comment from the players is this. Suns can't keep planning for a tomorrow that never comes.

Kellan Olson‏Verified account @KellanOlson

A depressing line from Devin Booker: "It's some figuring out that we have to do. And hopefully we can do that sooner (rather) than later. I've been here 4 years and you want to get things going early to make the season a lot better and a lot more fun."

8:07 PM - 5 Jan 2020

The tone of that comment, in contrast to that of Monty and Rubio, has me wondering if Booker is in fact a subject of Monty's ire from last night...

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This coach is far from perfect, but he is the best coach we are going to get. I say give him all the room to do whatever he thinks is necessary to make this team a winner. I like the type of basketball he wants to have: tough defense, flowing offense. We have seen this team do it at times.

We will see what Monty is made of.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You’re reaching dude... Stick with the anger over his lack of fight for rebounds. There’s substance there. Otherwise, you’re reaching...
“Reaching?” I just made a comment on what I literally observed. I’m not making an argument. It’s literally what occurred. And it’s pretty relevant to his desire to shy away, rather than force, contact. And if this was part of larger argument, it’s backed up by the fact he’s averaging like one FT per game.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Agreed. I do NOT understand this.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn