Grizzlies @ Suns Sunday game thread 1-5-20

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sunday the Suns catch another team playing well in the Grizzlies. This five game home stretch seemed so much more easier awhile back.

Grizzlies (14-22) beat the Clippers in Los Angeles today 140-114. They are 5-5 over their last ten games.

Suns (14-21) are coming off a hard fought win over the Knicks. In their last 10 game they are 3-7.

The Suns and Grizzlies have split two games in their previous meetings.

Game time is 6 p.m. MST (Arizona time).

It will be televised on FSAZ.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Will get to see Dillon Brooks the player everyone gives GM Jones crap about wanting to trade for.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the Grizzlies beat the Suns on December 11th Dillon Brooks scored 27 points.

Brooks is a nice player but I'd much prefer Kelly Oubre.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns are very lucky the Grizzlies backed out of the multi-team trade involving Ariza.

Grizzlies thought they were trading Marshon Brooks while the Suns thought they were getting Dillon Brooks.

Instead the Suns end up trading directly with the Wizards and getting Kelly Oubre... the better player as I view it.

What had been an agreement on a three-team deal that would have sent Ariza and two Grizzlies second-round picks to the Wizards, Washington's Kelly Oubre Jr. to Memphis, and Washington guard Austin Rivers and Memphis forward Wayne Selden to the Suns unraveled once the Suns and Grizzlies couldn't agree whether Memphis' MarShon Brooks or Dillon Brooks would be joining Phoenix, league sources told ESPN.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...wizards-phoenix-suns-talks-trevor-ariza-trade

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Suns are very lucky the Grizzlies backed out of the multi-team trade involving Ariza.

Grizzlies thought they were trading Marshon Brooks while the Suns thought they were getting Dillon Brooks.

Instead the Suns end up trading directly with the Wizards and getting Kelly Oubre... the better player as I view it.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...wizards-phoenix-suns-talks-trevor-ariza-trade

After this debacle, I was very reluctantly willing to give James Jones one more chance as GM. Then draft night happened...

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
The true loser of the missed trade was the Grizzlies who refused to trade Dillon Brooks for Kelly Oubre. Ja, Kelly, Clarke, and JJJ would be a pretty impressive young nucleus... their loss was definitely our gain.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The true loser of the missed trade was the Grizzlies who refused to trade Dillon Brooks for Kelly Oubre. Ja, Kelly, Clarke, and JJJ would be a pretty impressive young nucleus... their loss was definitely our gain.
While I do like Kelly more, Brooks has been pretty good for them. He is a solid defensive 2/3 who is a pretty good 3 point shooter.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

MarShawn Brooks may be the truest loser of the failed trade... the Wizards didn't want him, the Suns didn't want him, his own team didn't want him... he became "the wrong Brooks".

Now he is in China. No word yet on which "Brooks" the Guangdong Southern Tigers thought they were signing.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That was a miscommunication on the Wizards part. They were brokering the deal. It may well be that the Suns thought that Oubre was the better player too, they just were not able to get him in the first deal. The wizards had to settle for less and the Suns got a better player in the “make-up” deal. Anyway, that’s my “give them the benefit of the doubt” version.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Go suns another must win gm at home....

Need another huge gm by booker obure ayton

Also hoping ayton baynes help protect the rim

Go suns

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was a miscommunication on the Wizards part. They were brokering the deal. It may well be that the Suns thought that Oubre was the better player too, they just were not able to get him in the first deal. The wizards had to settle for less and the Suns got a better player in the “make-up” deal. Anyway, that’s my “give them the benefit of the doubt” version.

I'd like to give the Suns credit for thinking Oubre was the better player and maybe they did but I doubt they wanted to pay him in free agency.

Instead like the Wizards and probably the Grizzlies, they likely viewed him as a rental because they didn't want to pay him market value. Dillon Brooks is still playing this season on a $1,618,520 contract. Still think the Suns should have wrapped up Oubre on a longer contract.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'd like to give the Suns credit for thinking Oubre was the better player and maybe they did but I doubt they wanted to pay him in free agency.

Instead like the Wizards and probably the Grizzlies, they likely viewed him as a rental because they didn't want to pay him market value. Dillon Brooks is still playing this season on a $1,618,520 contract. Still think the Suns should have wrapped up Oubre on a longer contract.
The Wizards wanted a better draft pick for Oubre. Memphis would have provided that, we wouldn't have. That's it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Wizards wanted a better draft pick for Oubre. Memphis would have provided that, we wouldn't have. That's it.

The Grizzlies could provide two second round picks to the Wizards in the first trade proposal which is the primary reason they were included in the three team trade.

Ultimately the Grizzlies were not involved so it became a less complicated two team trade. Two second round picks is not much for a player of Oubre's caliber.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The Grizzlies could provide two second round picks to the Wizards in the first trade proposal which is the primary reason they were included in the three team trade.

Ultimately the Grizzlies were not involved so it became a less complicated two team trade. Two second round picks is not much for a player of Oubre's caliber.
We have to remember Oubre was just a player with promise at that time, mired in a team with depth at that posistion. He wasn't a sure thing. The Suns weren't even that sure have his first run with us. This season's play, had he played like THIS, now way we would have got him last year.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We have to remember Oubre was just a player with promise at that time, mired in a team with depth at that posistion. He wasn't a sure thing. The Suns weren't even that sure have his first run with us. This season's play, had he played like THIS, now way we would have got him last year.

He still had showed a heck of a lot more than Dillon Brooks. The only thing Brooks had on him was a slightly better outside shot...which brings me to this:

In terms of player traits, James Jones seems to care about one thing and one thing only: the ability to hit the outside shot. That kind of tunnel vision is disastrous in terms of building a roster.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's true although I thought Oubre was a huge acquisition. Still do.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Jaren Jackson Jr is an elite 3pt shooter. Another big that has expanded his offensive repertoire.

What’s up with his rebounding though?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never been an impressive rebounder.

I will say this about Jaren Jackson Jr., he could end up being the second best player in the 2018 draft.

Obviously he is not there yet but he could get there. Tremendous shooter and athlete for a big man.