Grizzlies @ Suns Sunday game thread 1-5-20

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Saric has had his minutes eliminated so that means likely who Rubio was talking about

I think Monty is talking about Baynes

Baynes has clearly checked out since he got hurt. I am pretty sure he doesn't want to be here (just as he didn't want to get traded here in the first place).

We need to trade Baynes while we still can get something for him, before he walks at the end of the season.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something has to be done ASAP. Coach looking this frustrated publicly while a player is openly questioning his teammates means the locker room is fracturing

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Can't take all the wrist-slitting on the Suns board. I'm not happy where we're at either, but we're a better team. We'll be fine.
You HOPE we'll be fine. Would you bet the ranch that we WILL be fine?

Saying that we'll be fine is passive, as the Suns have been for a decade.

We won't be fine until personnel decisions are made by an experienced
NBA General Manager and one who is allowed to do his job..

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Okay so now Rubio has called out his teammates for not following the game plan and now Monty has

So who is it?
Wow. Both of them. Good. If true, and I’m inclined to believe the experienced coach and the vet, the team needs be called out. But who is it?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's either Baynes, Saric, or Oubre.

No one else makes sense

Could be Ayton or bridges or cam. Why eliminate those guys? Could even be book but that doesn’t seem to be the case unless it’s on the defensive end.

I’m betting it’s more than one to have two call-outs.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Okay so now Rubio has called out his teammates for not following the game plan and now Monty has

So who is it?
What happened to the original (how many seconds was it?) game plan?

They're back to dribbling the ball around and, unfortunately, Booker is
the worst. And he gets double teamed.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Totally agree about the rebounding... but the two times I saw him take the jump hook, was when he had Valenciunas on him. I’m willing to cut the kid a little slack with not yet have a move to get around a 7’1” 260 pound hunk of humanity... I mean, how many times has he ever gone up against a man that size?
A whole lot last season. Why are we giving him slack? He’s getting paid a ton to play and it’s not like he doesn’t have the physical tools to work with.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What happened to the original (how many seconds was it?) game plan?

They're back to dribbling the ball around and, unfortunately, Booker is
the worst. And he gets double teamed.

That's a good point. Tonight, Booker and Oubre were the biggest culprits there...

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Practice is gonna be fun tomorrow.....

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is not encouraging to hear from Booker but I feel the same way.

Kellan Olson‏Verified account @KellanOlson

A depressing line from Devin Booker: "It's some figuring out that we have to do. And hopefully we can do that sooner (rather) than later. I've been here 4 years and you want to get things going early to make the season a lot better and a lot more fun."

8:07 PM - 5 Jan 2020

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Could be Ayton or bridges or cam. Why eliminate those guys? Could even be book but that doesn’t seem to be the case unless it’s on the defensive end.

I’m betting it’s more than one to have two call-outs.
Haha if Monty is talking about Booker (40pts, 20 fga) he needs to get fired.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
A whole lot last season. Why are we giving him slack? He’s getting paid a ton to play and it’s not like he doesn’t have the physical tools to work with.

Meh... I seem to recall Abdul-Jabber and Olajuwon routinely using sky hooks. And Olajuwon prolific with his mid-range jumper.
Ayton has now played in what, 6 games this season? With this team?
As I said, he was open IN THE PAINT, on many occasions tonight and he never was fed the ball... What is crystal clear to me is that this team, with Ayton on the court, still needs time to gel.
And yes, it would be nice to see Ayton be more aggressive in terms of actually fighting for rebounds...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Meh... I seem to recall Abdul-Jabber and Olajuwon routinely using sky hooks. And Olajuwon prolific with his mid-range jumper.
Ayton has now played in what, 6 games this season? With this team?
As I said, he was open IN THE PAINT, on many occasions tonight and he never was fed the ball... What is crystal clear to me is that this team, with Ayton on the court, still needs time to gel.
And yes, it would be nice to see Ayton be more aggressive in terms of actually fighting for rebounds...
Yeah but they also muscled for position for the hooks. Ayton literally worked his way AWAY from the basket to AVOID contact for his hooks.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Yeah but they also muscled for position for the hooks. Ayton literally worked his way AWAY from the basket to AVOID contact for his hooks.

You’re reaching dude... Stick with the anger over his lack of fight for rebounds. There’s substance there. Otherwise, you’re reaching...

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well first thing we need to do is not have Ayton throwing picks 30 feet from the basket. Since we don't do pick and rolls, what's the use? I think one of the main reasons are 2 big lineup has worked (not for long, but it does work for at least 5 good minutes) is because Ayton ISN'T the one throwing screens at the 3 point line.

But for the last 3 quarters, he would go way out on top, and guess what? He gets out of the play because we don't run Pick & Rolls.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
That's a good point. Tonight, Booker and Oubre were the biggest culprits there...
When the concept of crisp, quick passing disappeared so quickly, I wondered if it was because Monty didn't have the players to carry it out or the power to hold the players to it?

If he didn't have the players for it, why announce it? And where is the coordination between the General Manager and Head Coach?

If the players, particularly Book, didn't buy into it, then Monty was doomed to fail.

I'll post it again. The team went south after King Sarver announced that he is in 3-way communications with Jones and Monty.

The players know that neither Jones nor Monty
calls the shots. How could they not? We do! The decision making of NBA teams is pretty transparent.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Something has to be done ASAP. Coach looking this frustrated publicly while a player is openly questioning his teammates means the locker room is fracturing

I wouldn’t be surprised if the plan was to find ways to deliver the ball to Ayton down low as often as possible... And that didn’t happen, at all!
I could see this being the source to Monty’s anger...

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen