2014 Suns Free Agency

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even though I am against signing Carmelo ... Don't overlook the fact that because Morris, Len, and Green have value - We could easily get at least 2 1st rounders for them ... So in addition to the roster you posted, we could potentially have 5 1st rounders in the 2015 Draft :shock:

I agree that Morris, Len, and Green have value and would be relatively easy to trade. The tricky part is finding a team under the cap willing to take them without sending back any salary. In that scenario, netting 1st rounder seems unlikely.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember when Penny came here and all of the delusional fans he brought with him. Lebron would be 10 times worse, but I would learn to cope.

Shaq brought his fans as well.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I'm not sure we as fans are thinking this Lebron James thing through because netting James means...

But Andrew provided so much amusement.

Remember when he said he was going to be a Suns fan for life, even after Shaq left? Where did you go, Andrew?!

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I think of Gordon Hayward as 6'8 - Dragic like player, though he didn't shoot that well as 1st option. IMO, having Bledsoe on Team really helped Goran and hopefully having both current guards would allow Hayward to break out. I'd offer Picks in S&T but not sure Jazz would bite. Jazz did add Dante Exum and Rodney Hood in Draft, so they've got a few options.

Adding Hayward, DeRozan, or Millsap are my top 3 options (Horford maybe if he's healthy), via a Trade. DeRozan started to break out so unlikely and Millsap only has 1 year on contract.

Jordan Hill and Ed Davis could be breakout FA's. Maurice Harkless is another player I like though not a FA. Chris Singleton could be decent as cheap defensive, combo forward. Kent Bazemore maybe but I'd prefer SF or PF.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

That can't be right. I did the math and a 4 year $96M contract works out to just under $21.5M in its initial year assuming 7.5% annual increases. Both contracts together total just over $42.7M in their first year. So we would need to shave nearly 6 million in salary.

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its important to note that Robert Sarver has planned to spend over the salary cap this summer

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2...ix-suns-owner-plans-to-spend-way-over-the-cap

You can't go over the cap with players who you don't own their Bird rights unless using an exception of some sort. If the Suns want to ink James and Melo to contracts totaling $42M, they would need to have $42M in available cap space. We'd have to dump tow of the following: Green, Len, Morris, and Morris.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You can't go over the cap with players who you don't own their Bird rights unless using an exception of some sort. If the Suns want to ink James and Melo to contracts totaling $42M, they would need to have $42M in available cap space. We'd have to dump tow of the following: Green, Len, Morris, and Morris.

Yea we can dump Marcus, Len and Green and probably get a 1st rd pick or more in return. They all have good contracts and have value.

If we somehow get LeBron, then Ray Allen and Mike Miller will also likely follow according to Woj so those guys can easily replace Green and Marcus.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1. Lebron and Melo is plan A; but it's unlikely since what a lot of people have already mentioned. The players are running the Heat, instead of Riley who's just there to sign the cheques and play political advisor, it's likely they (Bosh, Bron, Wade) will all stay.

2. Gordon Hayward is in the same mould as Dragic and Ginobili.
I'm probably one of the few here who thinks he will thrive... 17/6/6 with good Defense and perimeter shooting (when not forced to carry all the offense). Brent Barry type production.
In any case Jazz are 95% chance to match....

3. Suns letting everyone know they are serious about contending is also free advertising. Players and media who previously didn't take Suns seriously probably had a quick glance on the roster and assets when they heard about Lebron and Melo pitch...

Love probably went online checked if he could "fit" next to Lebron if he ever does agree to sign with Suns... Because Suns made everyone know they have room for two max and have an unbelievable amount of assets and youth.

Now Suns can probably ring back Love and his agent and consider if he will resign with Suns... Considering that Suns are serious about contending... If Suns don't sign two max FAs now.. They will retry in 2015.

This comes a long way to players like Love... Who will have confidence on the FO having assets and gunning for a championhip.

If wolves don't trade with Suns... And suns don't sign anyone... come 2015 they have room for max again... And boat load of assets.

Either way Suns are on the map again by simply getting this Lebron/Melo thin out there.

SLO

Reaction score
How about Chandler Parsons, is he going to stay in Houston? I rather have him than Anthony or Hayward in my team (unless Carmelo comes in package with Lebron). He also doesn't want max contract, 36M/4 years would be enough I guess.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gordon Hayward is not a star-level player. Why would we waste max money on him? Do we really want to have Goran, Bledsoe at near max money and Gordon Haywood at max money in 2 years? Is that a big three that contend for a championship?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember when Penny came here and all of the delusional fans he brought with him. Lebron would be 10 times worse, but I would learn to cope.

Would Andrew come back? I would pay to see that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would Andrew come back? I would pay to see that.

If you look in the mirror and chant Andrew one... two... three... or more times, you may get your wish.

Just say no. I do not want any part of it. ;)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gordon Hayward is not a star-level player. Why would we waste max money on him? Do we really want to have Goran, Bledsoe at near max money and Gordon Haywood at max money in 2 years? Is that a big three that contend for a championship?

He seems to have a lot of the things you'd look for in a star. I don't watch him enough to have much of an opinion but if Jeff is driving our pursuit of him, that's enough for me. If Jeff is not pushing hard for Gordon, I guess I'd prefer to see if Warren is close to being a quality starter rather than overpay (even slightly) for a free agent. Especially if that free agent isn't a quality post defender. With our assets and our needs, a good defensive big man is the only position that warrants an overpay IMO.

Steve

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They can sign FA's while maintaining matching rights to Tucker and Bledsoe. Both QO's are greatly below what they are expected to be offered. Then they can go over the cap to sign them.

Also, some have been claiming that they will also have the MLE. But my understanding is that you have to renounce the MLE to be under the cap. So, they could use it next year but not this year.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Agreed with the point above that if anything, this shows the players around the league that the Suns are serious about building a championship level team, and are willing to pay players to come here. Sarver’s recent interviews talking about how he’s willing to spend money, along with the public declaration that they are going after the top level stars, may help to temper down some of the players perception of Sarver. To me, this is all positive, regardless of the final outcome.

Errntknght

Reaction score
It appears that the Suns are planning, if all goes well, to sign Bledsoe and Tucker after they've spent their capspace on big name players. I could see that putting one or both of them in a tight spot - suppose someone offers, say, Bledsoe the max early on and gives him a three day window to accept or reject. Of course, if he is content to reject it, things can still proceed as planned but if he is afraid it will be the best offer he will get he'll want to accept it and then we have only limited time, 7 days, IIRC to match - so there goes our grand plan up in smoke.

Heck, if I was a GM that wanted Bled at that price, I'd do exactly that, wouldn't you?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think you understand this point, but I just want to clarify. What we can do is immediately sign unrestricted free agents and use every bit of our available cap space to do so, then we can still match or sign contracts to players we have bird rights on. That is how we can vastly exceed the cap this year.

Also, as a team well under the cap at the start of free agency we will not get an MLE this year.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It appears that the Suns are planning, if all goes well, to sign Bledsoe and Tucker after they've spent their capspace on big name players. I could see that putting one or both of them in a tight spot - suppose someone offers, say, Bledsoe the max early on and gives him a three day window to accept or reject. Of course, if he is content to reject it, things can still proceed as planned but if he is afraid it will be the best offer he will get he'll want to accept it and then we have only limited time, 7 days, IIRC to match - so there goes our grand plan up in smoke.

Heck, if I was a GM that wanted Bled at that price, I'd do exactly that, wouldn't you?

Technically they can't sign anything until the 7th or 8th, and I think at THAT time, the clock to match starts.

They can agree to deals in theory on day 1, but they can't sign it for another ~week, and then our RFA matching rights timer starts.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
By the way, if the Suns do make a hard charge at LeBron I think they'd have to renounce our Bird Rights on Frye to clear his rather large cap hold.

... not that anyone would really care at that point.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
By the way, if the Suns do make a hard charge at LeBron I think they'd have to renounce our Bird Rights on Frye to clear his rather large cap hold.

... not that anyone would really care at that point.
I could be wrong, but I don't believe a team has to have the cap space in order to make a contract offer. The Suns wouldn't actually renounce anyone until said offer was accepted.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Technically they can't sign anything until the 7th or 8th, and I think at THAT time, the clock to match starts.

They can agree to deals in theory on day 1, but they can't sign it for another ~week, and then our RFA matching rights timer starts.

I believe they can negotiate from the 1st to the 9th and contracts can be signed starting the 10th.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I believe they can negotiate from the 1st to the 9th and contracts can be signed starting the 10th.

And then if signed, we'd have a chance to match it.

We should know Lebron's intentions well before that deadline. Though you never know.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard